The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..53..60..67..74..79~80~81 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
‘Black Panther’ has a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment.......3805160

"That impeccable fresh rating is made up of 74 reviews at this point. "Black Panther" would be the first of the 18 films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to boast a perfect score if it's able to maintain that rating as more reviews come in."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hah! As of review #76, the Tomatometer has dropped to 99% fresh!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm suspicious of any film that would get 100%.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Well 100% doesn't 'really' mean a perfect score in regards to Rotten Tomatoes. It just means no scores under 60%. A movie could get 10 reviews, all between 60% and 70% say, and still get a 100% score. The tomatoemeter basically distills everything down to either 'Fresh' (>=60%) or 'Rotten' (<60%).
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
To take this back to the main question; my kid suggests if DC wants to be taken seriously, they shoul sack the entire studio and put the animated team in charge of the DCCU! With a few shaky elements(I’m looking at YOU, “Killing Joke,”) they’ve had a much better track record than the live action films.

I feel, and my daughter strongly disagrees, that Zack Snyder is wrong for the DC universe. He doesn’t seem to like super heroes. He likes the CONCEPT of the hero, but only if he can deconstruct it. So we very a brooding Superman who causes massive damage and has to kill his main enemy and a sadistic Batman who brands enemies!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Superman is a problem for DC, imho. First, because he's simply too OP - the amount of real conflict is limited, thus story arcs are likewise limited and fairly predictable. Second, because to be true to the character he has to be pretty moral and vanilla - the brooding stuff just doesn't work (it's like making Cap America a Nazi - it's just wrong) - which would be fine if Hollywood was ok with white-hat heroes and could resist the urge to make everyone/everything a shade of grey.

I think Justice League heroes would work better as TV shows (a la Luke Cage, Defenders etc). I also think the same about Marvel's X-Men, but hey ho.

DC has some fun villains, and it has Batman, but I always tended to prefer Marvel heroes tbh.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I said it earlier any charectors that are too powerful are not relatable and Sups qualified without doubt. What can threaten him in a compelling way that isn't smart enough to use Kryptonite. It is a tough story to regularly tell.

Tony Stark is a drunk. Thor has daddy issues, even the Hulk is relatively brainless. Flaws abound in these guys. Heck look at the Guardians. All flawed and it is what makes them relatable.

Sups has always been carried by his opponent. From day one he needs a compelling opponent to be interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually, the superman who premiered in Action Comics #1 could "leap an 8th of a mile (660 feet) and nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin." This character could have been interesting. Imagine not worrying about bullets, but having a hard time with robots or powered villains, and taking real injuries at times. This is where Marvel shines brightest; their characters may have fantastic powers, but they are not gods and they are not without vulnerabilities.

Look at Green Lantern. For years every crook he faced would wear, by nothing more than dumb luck, a yellow suit. Some of his arch enemies would do so on purpose. A much better way to have gone would be to limit GL's will power. Mental strain getting tired etc. The bigger the construct the more will to hold it etc. That would have resulted in GL coming up with ways to fight for a quick victory, and showing wear when he can't.

For a good example of this, read Jim Butcher's early Dresden books. Wizard detective Harry Dresden runs out of juice after a few strong spells. Then he must rest and recuperate.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wasn't the original Green Lantern vulnerable to wood?

And having to recharge his ring was his weakest spot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Actually, the superman who premiered in Action Comics #1 could "leap an 8th of a mile (660 feet) and nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin." This character could have been interesting. Imagine not worrying about bullets, but having a hard time with robots or powered villains, and taking real injuries at times. This is where Marvel shines brightest; their characters may have fantastic powers, but they are not gods and they are not without vulnerabilities.

I think Action Comics tried to bring this character back. "Clark Kent" was super strong, but not invulnerable. His "Superman" outfit was a pair of jeans, a t-shirt (with the "S" logo, I don't know where it came from) and a cape from his rocket. (Which he finds later when kidnapped by Lex Luthor, it's talking in Kryptonese and he tells it to wait for him to come back.) He gets badly bruised by rocks (that, fairly, would have killed a normal man) and passes it off to his landlady as being beaten up by thugs he exposed in his news story. I don't think it ended well for him.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:

I think Action Comics tried to bring this character back. "Clark Kent" was super strong, but not invulnerable. His "Superman" outfit was a pair of jeans, a t-shirt (with the "S" logo, I don't know where it came from) and a cape from his rocket. (Which he finds later when kidnapped by Lex Luthor, it's talking in Kryptonese and he tells it to wait for him to come back.) He gets badly bruised by rocks (that, fairly, would have killed a normal man) and passes it off to his landlady as being beaten up by thugs he exposed in his news story. I don't think it ended well for him.

It's not only Kryptonite. He has other additional weaknesses such as to Occult-magic and also Red Sun rays, that is, if he goes to any other planet that orbits a Red Sun.

While I'm at it about alien Suns, it reminds me of a Charlton comics story where astronauts landed on a planet orbiting a Binary. Binary being a system that has two Suns. (Incidentally, there are binaries in Real life too.) In the story, one Sun was red and one was blue. Depending on which Sun happened to be prominent at a particular time in the orbit, the native inhabitants alternated between warlike and peaceful.

Superman's other weakness is to Occult-magic. That's why in one issue, Dracula managed to bite Superman's invulnerable neck. As a result, Superman became a vampire too.

Getting back to the Red Sun weakness, it reminds me of a story when he was the teenage Superboy. He fought against a villain called the Persuader who wielded a special battle ax, an Atomic Ax. When Superboy leaped at the Persuader, the villain swung his Ax at him. The Ax missed as it cleaved the air above Superboy.
Then suddenly, to Superboy's horror, Superboy found himself fall to the ground helpless and powerless. Then the Persuader explained that the Ax swing was not a miss at all. Instead,the Ax being a special Atomic Ax, slicing the air above Superboy cut off the Rays from the Yellow Sun which gives Superboy his powers on Earth.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Black Panther.

See it.

If Marvel keeps this up, DC will never catch up.

Smile
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Marvel has been doing very well since casting Iron Man and putting in the hi-definition eye candy.

Glad to read their latest is a fun watch.

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Maybe I'm finally suffering from Super Hero fatigue but I thought Black Panther was just so so. Of course, I haven't been thrilled by a super hero movie since the first Guardians.

If I was to rank Black Panther, I'd probably put it somewhere near the bottom of the top 10.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Just saw the Black Panther. The problem with that movie is that it was very different from the mold of a lot of the marvel films. On its' own merit it was an excellent film. compared with the others it did not rate quite as high in my book. I still liked the film. I still think DC has a long hard road. I liked the Justice League movie, but it does not stand up to Marvel's work.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Spot on Orville, except The Chief had a full head of hair!

And a full beard too! While we're at it,what did you think of Grant Morrison's treatment of the Doom Patrol? My criticism is that his treatment was too drastic an interpretation of Negative Man. Because he showed the non-corporeal entity as an actual sentient being separate from Larry. Quite the contrary, the way I see it, it was clearly established during the 1960's that the non-corporeal was Larry's id, as in the id of Sigmund Freud.Namely,the ego, the superego, and the id. That was shown the most tellingly in the issue "the night Negative Man went Berserk" where the entity was Unable to return to Larry's physical body. To add to that, the Chief even stated that the entity is totally mindless. Clearly, Larry has to be in conscious control of the entity in order for it to function properly.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Not much to add to what you said Orville, I agree with your completely.Having Larry injured or out cold with Negative man out of him was a problem and should be. Negative man is just energy. Remember I am old school and a purist.

I do like the idea of the doom patrol having to deal with who they are. Of the original 3 only Rita (elasti-girl) could put on street clothes and pretend to be like everyone else. What would life be like if you had fantastic abilities but could never look normal again. While it is good to address that, too much of it gets too dark, and the DP was never meant to be anything other than light hearted.
Magic is like Science,
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Oh my goodness.

The latest Avengers Infinity War trailer has me super stoked for the movie. And also worried about who might die. I think it definitely points to potential deaths of some of our favorite Marvel super heroes.

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I still say it sucks that they might kill a character for the reason that the actor who plays him has their contract expiring. I hope that is not the driving force behind that.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
On the other hand the trailer looks great.
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..53..60..67..74..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL