The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..50~51~52~53 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
When Cliff mentioned flying, it reminded me of a Superboy story when he was still trying to learn flying at which he was still aerially colliding into rooftops and chimneys. It was done with the help of Pa Kent. What Pa Kent did was to make a box-kite. It's a kite in the shape of a rectangular oblong box and open at the front and back ends. He had Superboy lie down on his stomach inside the box-kite. Then from the ground Pa Kent would guide Superboy with the cord attached to the kite. In this way Superboy gradually learned aerial maneuverability.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2467 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Wow, Netflix has canceled both Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Are Daredevil and Jessica Jones next? Will Luke and Danny still be able to guest star on other shows? A more important question to me is why did they get canceled?

The nature of Netflix being what it is, I am sure they know exactly how many watchers they have, but what they don't know is how many people will watch the show. They put the whole series up at once and then people watch when they like.

Example, I did not watch Iron Fist season two the day it came out. I watched it a couple of weeks later, and thought it was much better than season one. This left me with he thought that season three could be better still. Sadly I got the news it was canceled before I finished watching it.

Does Netflix judge by how many watched on day one? I have no idea what their process is.

Maybe they felt they had taken the characters as far as they could? That seems silly both Luke and Danny have comic book arc going back tot he early 70's. In other words a lot to work with. So why were they canceled? Any thoughts?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of rockwall
After the first season of Daredevil was released I was super excited about the plans for the Defenders under Netflix. The idea of Netflix following the same formula as Marvel studios in releasing movies about individual superheroes and then bringing them together ala The Avengers sounded like a winning formula for me. The amazing first season of Jessica Jones just cemented my excitement.

Unfortunately, Luke Cage season 1 was a let down and Iron Fist season 1 was just awful. When the Defenders was released, it was also just so so. Seasons 2 of Luke Cage and Iron Fist may have been marginally better. (I'll admit I didn't get past the first episode of Iron Fist).

I think the writing was on the wall for both those shows. I don't think it means that Daredevil and Jessica Jones will be cancelled but of course it depends on the quality of the shows. I think the networks can get away with mediocre shows easier than Netflix can.

Jessica Jones season 1 was my favorite show of the entire lot but season 2 was a disappointment. Here's hoping that the cancelling of Luke Cage and Iron Fist will make the producers realize that they need to up their game and only put out top quality stories.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My guess is Disney is getting all the ducks in a row for their streaming service and are going to move the Netflix properties to that.

Just a guess. But it would make sense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Nowadays I've been buying the DC magazine Justice League Dark. It's different from the regular Justice League title in that the JLD fights against Occult menaces only.
The only character I don't like at all is Deadman because he's a hero and yet his power is that he can possess and occupy any human body. Obviously the owner of the respective "stolen" body is both unwilling and unknowing so I find it highly immoral for a hero to do that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What did anyone think of DD season 3?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Haven't watched it yet. I'll let you know once I do. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19124 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I liked it. But I am a Kingpin fan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2467 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I liked it a lot. I am holding off on talking about it to let others catch up spoiler free.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2467 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
The only character I don't like at all is Deadman because he's a hero and yet his power is that he can possess and occupy any human body. Obviously, the owner of the respective "stolen" body is both unwilling and unknowing so I find it highly immoral for a hero to do that.

Well, there is that.

On the other hand, Deadman has a horrible choice to make much of the time. He can stand there as a ghost and do nothing but watch trouble happening, or he can grab somebody and try to help. Not saying it is right, but what would you do?
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
The only character I don't like at all is Deadman because he's a hero and yet his power is that he can possess and occupy any human body. Obviously, the owner of the respective "stolen" body is both unwilling and unknowing so I find it highly immoral for a hero to do that.

Well, there is that.

On the other hand, Deadman has a horrible choice to make much of the time. He can stand there as a ghost and do nothing but watch trouble happening, or he can grab somebody and try to help. Not saying it is right, but what would you do?

To answer your question, what I would do in that situation is to call on The Spectre. The Spectre is both a ghost and an angel, so he would know what to do to"cure" me.

And if I was the Writer, I would make it so that Boston Brand can occupy and inhabit the bodies of the Deceased only. That would be passibly ethical because the departed owners of those bodies don't need those bodies anyway.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2467 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, Orville Smith wrote:
And if I was the Writer, I would make it so that Boston Brand can occupy and inhabit the bodies of the Deceased only. That would be passibly ethical because the departed owners of those bodies don't need those bodies anyway.

Ah Clever Orville, very clever.

I was 13 or 14 when I created a character called "The Ghost Sheriff." He was a real old west sheriff who had been betrayed and murdered and his spirit cried out for both justice and vengeance. He would be drawn in to reanimate the body of any lawman who had just been murdered, and remain in their body (But with his mind) until he solved the crime. Then he would leave and the lawman would return to death.

I never did much with the character as I am a far better writer than I am an artist (ok I suck at drawing) and I am not an expert writer either.

As I got older I began to wonder what if the Ghost Sheriff decided to live the life of the murdered cop and just not solve the crime.

That idea was briefly explored with Deadman wanting to hold onto a body he inhabited.
Magic is like Science,
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2651 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, and do you remember how THAT ended?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2467 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Gee Ed, this is very unusual for me, but I must allow that I do not remember how that ended. I am sure things did not turn out for the better, and I am guessing that someone was probably killed because of Boston's actions. Please let me know if you remember the end of that story.
Magic is like Science,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26809 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi Orville, what is the Writer?

any thoughts on Planetary?
https://chasemagnett.wordpress.com/2014/......ng-kong/
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Hi Orville, what is the Writer?

any thoughts on Planetary?
https://chasemagnett.wordpress.com/2014/......ng-kong/

What I meant is "what if" I wrote for the Boston Brand series. Just like when DC used to do their so-called "Imaginary" stories, for example, the story where Clark Kent and Lex Luthor were actual siblings raised at the same time by Ma and Pa Kent. Marvel used to do that too, for example, where Thor is a Female. What's surprising is that it actually came true because now Jane Foster has become the New Thor.

As for that link you posted, I'm afraid I'm not familiar at all with that series. Currently I buy mainly Justice League Dark, which I prefer rather than the regular JL because JL-Dark specializes in just Occult menaces. My only disappointment is that the Dark's leader is Wonder Woman. I would have much preferred Doctor Fate or even Zatanna because they are obviously magick. Whereas Wonder Woman is not really a wizard at all. Granted, her lasso is magical but that's about it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26809 Posts

Https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult......0952710/
I disagree with the statement (only the lasso is magical comment) about Wonder Woman. She was conceived and brought to life by magic. If you recall the golem story about clay - there you go. She was also conceived by a do-gooder (male) psychologist who missed the obvious fantasy elements of the island, eta candy, steve trevor and the purple ray... But I'm cool with Steve Trevor wishing he could turn a purple ray on his secretary and have adventures involving bullets, bracelets and a golden lasso. I'm not going to complain about Cheetah and wonderwoman fighting in one comic book while batman and catwoman tangle in the issue on the rack to the right. It's all good.

I like the idea of Ma and Pa Kent adopting Thor and Loki. I like the idea of Spiderman joining the Legion of Superheroes. Unfortunately the magick* which governs those stories does not. And such is how we distinguish canon from fodder. Cultural appropriation meets copyright.

Longish footnote follows:
Thing is - it stopped being occult when DC Comics published The Books of Magic and The Sandman. Now it's canon taught in schools. It's been built upon for almost a generation. And it settles well with our western canon of mythology. Pierian spring publications?

You missed the Ellis books when they were published? No Transmetropolitan? How about the Alan Moore stories using literary characters and formats to tell stories about literature? For some about Magic(k) - Alan Moore wrote a title called Promethea, about stories and personhood. Smile

The retcon thing is awkward. If you can, find a copy of Planetary issue seven where the superheroes mourn a fallen comrade in London. Check out what that character has to say for himself. "...I didn't want to find out that instead of getting my powers from a transcendent scientist mentor I was grown from the DNA..." . That's also a callback to a funny story in TransMet. The What-If/ElseWorlds test runs on stories were good. But retcon is not okay for branded stories. Batman is not a Brainiac5 simulation used for learning about humanity. Superman is not Lois Lane dressed as a guy.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26809 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
...That idea was briefly explored with Deadman wanting to hold onto a body he inhabited.

The body The Forever People gave him, or maybe the Hawk and Dove story? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk_and_Dove - which is a little odd since they started as the sons of Judge Hall.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2651 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Gee Ed, this is very unusual for me, but I must allow that I do not remember how that ended. I am sure things did not turn out for the better, and I am guessing that someone was probably killed because of Boston's actions. Please let me know if you remember the end of that story.

The one I remember, he changed his mind while sitting next to the guy driving along in his convertible. As he started to go, the guy pulls out a gun and does a drive-by! Turns out he'd been a contract killer and Boston had to figure out how to stop him!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Sad news. Marvel's Stan Lee dies at 95. Mere words cannot express how I feel about the passing of a man who created such legendary characters.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/enterta......e.com%2F

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/2......-comics/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13..23..33..43..50~51~52~53 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL