The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..63~64~65~66~67~68 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Tonight starts the "Crisis on Infinite Earths"

I enjoyed the books back in 1986. Doesn't DC have any more recent material to draw from? This stuff is 30 years old. DC soon found out it did not work to their favor the way they thought it would, and have gone through two or three more reorganizations since. Not that the story was bad. I liked it. I just think this is being done for only two reasons. 1) Hey Marvel, look we have a big event too! (DC even included a gap like Marvel did between the last two avengers movies) 2) Let's bring all our characters into one world instead of four to allow crossovers more easily.

Will it work? I'm sure it will work.

Will it be good? The jury is out on that one.

With all the cameos and guest stars, I still want to see Chris Reeve come out of the revolving door as Superman, even if it is one throw away scene.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20371 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think it worked then and I think it is going to be disastrous now. It drives away the casual fans who the desperately nerd to keep.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
554 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I don't think it worked then and I think it is going to be disastrous now. It drives away the casual fans who they desperately nerd to keep.


Bolded for truth.
.


.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20371 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
I don't think it worked then and I think it is going to be disastrous now. It drives away the casual fans who they desperately nerd to keep.


Bolded for truth.


Yea once in a while auto correct is a happy accident I actually agree with.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Last night the story included Constantine, Flash, and Lucifer Morningstar ... and this morning "Darkseid".

Any thoughts on Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Known for his work on X-Men and the Fantastic Four, Marvel Comics artist Gerry Alanguilan dies at 51.
https://www.newsarama.com/48362-gerry-al......-51.html
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Did Martin Scorsese go off the deep end with his following remarks about Marvel movies?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyork......teur/amp
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Maybe.
Quote:
He envisions the changes in the industry resulting from the upward concentration and narrowing of control as threatening not merely production and distribution but society at large—the psychology of moviegoers, the life of the mind. The Times essay isn’t Scorsese’s first foray into the subject. After all, the best movie of the decade (the envelope, please), Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” is far more than a study of financial chicanery and greed. It’s a story of desire and its framework: its rhetoric, its performance, and its transmission.

I just hope we get some fun movies during this market adjustment.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
554 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, Orville Smith wrote:
Did Martin Scorsese go off the deep end with his following remarks about Marvel movies?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyork......teur/amp


He may seems a bit snobbish but he's defined his terms:

“franchise films.” Scorsese isn’t inveighing against fantasy but against a system of production that submerges directors’ authority in a network of dictates and decisions issued from the top down—a network in which the director is more of a functionary than a creator."

He's railing against the impossibility to create art from production demands of "Make me a Spiderman 12 and a Smurfs 8!!"
.


.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Finally released is the hard-cover collectors edition of Marvel's very first superhero the Golden Age Human Torch Omnibus. At that time the publisher was still not known as Marvel Comics but instead known as Timely Comics. The Golden Age Human Torch premiered in the magazine called Marvel Mystery. What's really ironic is that the logo of the very first issue was called Marvel Comics. Then from the second issue it was changed to Marvel Mystery.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The human torch is not human (android) but has blood which is compatible with humans - giving them powers. Hmmm

Here's something which might get toned down and used to set up a more modern Airwolf for KnightRider.
Strong language/not for children alert. Toned down...
https://web.archive.org/web/202001111942......l_01_20/
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My daughter just asked me yesterday, "When are we seeing Birds of Prey?" She is psyched up for it anyway.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20371 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoyed the short lived WB series.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Spoilers ahead.

Did anyone watch the "Arrow" series finale this week?

There's another hint that they might introduce Green Lantern to the Arrowverse (I'm wondering if he'll appear in future crossovers, or in the new CW Superman and Lois series). They've had hints at that character before.

Also, the fallout from "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was interesting, I thought. It changes storylines.

It was neat to see a connection between Arrowverse and DCEU (the two Flash characters), too.

We've also had a trailer for CW's "Stargirl", which is coming this spring. And the characters were shown on one of the alternate earths after Crisis. But I haven't seen it listed as a part of Arrowverse yet.

Black Lightning is now considered to be a part of Arrowverse, as I understand it, although it wasn't originally.

One article I read quoted CW as saying that they won't air more than 5 superhero series at a time. Right now that includes The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and Batwoman (which have all been renewed for the 2020/2021 season).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Spoilers ahead.

Did anyone watch the "Arrow" series finale this week?

There's another hint that they might introduce Green Lantern to the Arrowverse (I'm wondering if he'll appear in future crossovers, or in the new CW Superman and Lois series). They've had hints at that character before.

Also, the fallout from "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was interesting, I thought. It changes storylines.

It was neat to see a connection between Arrowverse and DCEU (the two Flash characters), too.

We've also had a trailer for CW's "Stargirl", which is coming this spring. And the characters were shown on one of the alternate earths after Crisis. But I haven't seen it listed as a part of Arrowverse yet.

Black Lightning is now considered to be a part of Arrowverse, as I understand it, although it wasn't originally.

One article I read quoted CW as saying that they won't air more than 5 superhero series at a time. Right now that includes The Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning, and Batwoman (which have all been renewed for the 2020/2021 season).

- Donald

If it introduces Green Lantern as You say, then it should be great news for Cliff since he's a Green Lantern fan. Since he's such an ardent Green Lantern fan, I still don't understand why he wanted to sell his first issue of GL.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I go back and forth on that one Orville. It is not in the best of shape, even though I have stored it properly since coming into possession of it in 1978. This was a time when the paper comics used was not designed or intended for long term life. The other thing is that the stories inside are not so great. I have not opened the book in years, nor have I taken it out of its acid-free sleeve. Nor am I likely to, but I am not sure what real life it has left in it.

You are right though, I cheered when Diggle encountered that Cough cough Ahem, at the end of the episode and hinted that he and his family would be in Metropolis. After the two short actors of Jack Black and Tom Cruise both said they wanted to play Hal Jordan, I thought it just sucked. Diggle as John Stewart will handle it really well. I just hope they don't make it too cartoony.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
The human torch is not human (android) but has blood which is compatible with humans - giving them powers. Hmmm

Here's something which might get toned down and used to set up a more modern Airwolf for KnightRider.
Strong language/not for children alert. Toned down...
https://web.archive.org/web/202001111942......l_01_20/


When you remember that Chris Evans was the (2nd) Human Torch in the first two Fantastic Four movies, a shot of the "artificial man," under glass, in the World's Fair, was a clever touch!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, Cliffg37 wrote:
I go back and forth on that one Orville. It is not in the best of shape, even though I have stored it properly since coming into possession of it in 1978. This was a time when the paper comics used was not designed or intended for long term life. The other thing is that the stories inside are not so great. I have not opened the book in years, nor have I taken it out of its acid-free sleeve. Nor am I likely to,but I am not sure what real life it has left in it.

Since you Cliff have Green Lantern #1--
did you notice that the letter column has a letter from Roy Thomas who would later become a famous Marvel writer? I don't have that issue but I just now found out about that letter from an appraisal site. What did Roy say about Green Lantern?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..63~64~65~66~67~68 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL