The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson - 3SIXTY (129 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, AdamChance wrote:
I have the Kennedy Mystery Box and to me, exainability is extremely important. After I dump the card out, I leave the box on the table. Half the time, people look at the box for a few seconds just because it's kind of an interesting looking box and because people have no explanation for what just happened. They're so dumb founded that they search for a solution, and they look at the box for a few seconds and then realize there's nothing to find and just continue to be perplexed.

Even though examinability isn't absolutely necessary with the mystery box plot, it's still a very nice feature.

Exatly my thought's Adam,but watch out you will have the OH WHY HAVE YOU GOT TO HAVE THE BOX EXAMINED brigade on,if it can be why not,i don't here have a look at this box ,no but even greater if you get the cocky one's who think they know it all, only to be shocked when they are wrong.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I saw this at my local magic club and again at the international convention and I don't care who performs it in my opinion it's pony to say the least you are left with a black bag and are as dirty as hell . It was produced just for the sake of saying it's different in my opinion . Any decent reviews I have found are just people just trying to justify a bad purchase before it slowly ends up in their magic drawer . Even Mike demoing it was apologetic as it was truly that bad .
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Pony is right, in my view. Well said.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, Tarik Flash wrote:
I saw this at my local magic club and again at the international convention and I don't care who performs it in my opinion it's pony to say the least you are left with a black bag and are as dirty as hell . It was produced just for the sake of saying it's different in my opinion . Any decent reviews I have found are just people just trying to justify a bad purchase before it slowly ends up in their magic drawer .

Or put it on tricks for sale section / Ebay

Quote:
Even Mike demoing it was apologetic as it was truly that bad .

Case of 3 steps back instead of 1 step forward
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I like this box very much, this ONE I will use, sure.

A new superb handling by Nick Einhorn is included in the video instruction that are very clean/clever.

I give this "magic" box 9 out of 10.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, DigaMag wrote:
Can someone who have this tell me about can the gimmick adapted to another brand of playing card ?

Thanks in advance...

Diga

Yes, that is possible...
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
Wow, the various approaches to this effect have produced a veritable deluge of comment, arguments, trolls and opinion over the last month or two.
And, after all, that's what a Forum is all about.
I've had the opportunity to handle all the versions outlined below, as well as reminding us all of a couple that have been around for a while now that are venturing into the same territory.
A couple of preliminary observations:
- these props are not cheap. Not everyone can afford to get all of them and only then decide which they will use. What we all try to do is research as much as we can before voting with our wallets. So the information gathered together on the various posts and threads on the Café - which number in the hundreds - provide a great deal of information, which is worthy of your attention.
- as several have observed, it is a little difficult to compare these products, since they do not all set out to achieve the precise same effect. This depends partly on how you structure your routine and the rationale you provide in your presentation, and partly on the nature of the prop itself. The original Card in Box (Bruno Hennig, much shown by Kaps and taken up by Tommy Wonder so, erm, wonderfully) had the climax card as a surprise. It can be a prediction, a transposition, a card in impossible place, or little more than a puzzle. You can do it with cards, business cards, money, or billets.
- then again the performing conditions will dictate your approach - stand up, table hopping, mix and mingle, social situations.
I admire the passion some have shown in their support of one model versus another: but because of the foregoing issues, it is not a simple "this is the best". Indeed, you might actually need more than one, to cover different performing situations: just as you might well have more than one wallet to cover different circumstances.
Here's my input, if it helps.

Here’s my verdict:
1st prize - The Box, Mark Southworth
2nd - 3Sixty, Wayne Dobson
3rd - Fob, David Penn
4th - Mystery Solved, David Penn
5th - Clarity Box - David Regal

My rationale:

- the box used in Southworth's The Box looks natural, the sort of plastic box you'd get from a hardware store containing panel pins or paper clips. The others look like magic props.
That, of course, will appeal to some magicians, particularly amateurs, who like to own nice props.

- the visual impact of The Box, at the point of tipping the card into your hand for the Sh*****e P**s, looks stronger and more fooling by far. Even magicians in the know will swear the card changes in mid-air. It is a very clear, clean, mysterious moment.

- big point: in The Box, the card looks like a true, folded card (because it is). The others (including Clarity Box) only have a single piece of card (as did Kennedy’s Mystery box that started all this off years ago.)

- With The Box you finish neatly. 3Sixty allows you to hand the box out - but even the inventor says he only does it 20% of the time. There’s no way they should have any interest in the box - all attention (incl yours) should be on the card being unfolded and the signature examined. And you are left with the slightly messy position of the gimmick being in full sight, and having to be got rid of. With Mystery Solved, you notice a hasty rush to pocket the box - it can’t be left in full sight.

- I really like the physical box Wayne Dobson has had made especially for this - it is chunky, looks terrific, is a delight to own and handle. So the magician in you will go for this one. Plus, every time you do the necessary to finish clean, you'll smile inwardly to yourself.

- the one benefit the Mystery Solved boasts is the ability to place a card/billet into the empty box at the outset, then reveal it at the end. THIS CAN BE DONE WITH THE BOX, and 3SIXTY! Pick up a card from the deck, or in your pocket if it’s a billet, fold it into quarters, switch it for the fake, open the empty box and place it on the gimmick. Bold, but possible. [That said, I wouldn’t bother, as I use the box for Confabulation, so having the billet prediction in the box at the outset is fine - nothing for me to 'prove', whereas magicians invariably feel the need to 'prove'.]

- the Clarity Box is purely for stand-up use, where its rationale is as "an emergency in case something ever goes wrong." Theatrically this is a strong premise, I think, and I would put it up for comparison with The Destination Box rather than these products.

- I still like Fob. It's similar in effect - folded card in a clear fob on your keyring, rather than a box on the table. It is clean, and very strong for the right conditions.

All that said, my favourite CARD IN BOX routine is Tommy Wonder's, which I think is delectable to watch and to perform. But this is with an opaque box, rather than a clear one, so is not entirely within the remit of this topic. With a card in box I like the fact the card has been there all along comes as a surprise to them - I think it works better theatrically.

My favourite BILLET IN CLEAR BOX is Mark Southworth's The Box, because it makes sense for the prediction to be on view from the outset.

Now, which is the best prop for signed card to wallet.....
MagieLucas
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
93 Posts

Profile of MagieLucas
This is very nice trick. I have the Kennedy box but I like it being clear and ability for spectator to examine the box at the end which si good.
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
I notice that Wayne's website claims he's sold out of 3Sixty. That's a lot of boxes - a lot of interest in this genre.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Worked with Jon Allen last week at the Magic Castle.
He has a version coming out at Blackpool that's going to be the industry standard.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Wayne Dobson - 3SIXTY (129 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL