The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » DC Teacher (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
I really appreciate how magnanimous some of you are in giving the teacher the benefit of the doubt. I do admit though, that I strongly suspect you wouldn't be nearly as magnanimous if, as Lobowolf points out, a teacher asked students to compare and contrast Obama with Hitler. I just don't quite think you would be nearly so forgiving.

As to whether it was, "a stupidly ham-fisted partisan exercise" as Magnus questions, I think if you read the entire article you'll get a hint.

"Now that we have read about two men of power who abused their power in various ways, we will compare and contrast them and their actions."

As I pointed out, I would never have done this assignment (no matter what it is) with 6th grade students. If, however, I had a headline or similar that made the comparison, I would have no problem asking high school students to critically examine the claim.

It is relevant, howver, to understand just what the teacher was trying to accomplish. I hope it was a good idea with poor judgment, not a partisan idea, or worse.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Maybe you don't find the statement, "Now that we have read about two men of power who abused their power" a partisan statement, possibly because you agree with it? Whether or not that is the case, it's definitely partisan.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Why the fuss about Ferguson when it's being resolved, i.e. "handled locally"?

Because the facts are in dispute with Ferguson. Here, the teacher admits to using poor judgment and realizes that it was a mistake.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Back to the main topic. Anybody know how to get a hold of the two readings?

I suspect, but cannot verify, that the two readings are here:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholastic......get=_NEW

and here

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2003/Bush-I......629c0312
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
Comparing and contrasting is an excellent exercise for students. I would expect most students to find the Hitler-Bush assignment to provide a huge number of contrasts and only a couple of similarities.

I would expect the opposite, especially given how Bush was portrayed in schools in the area when my stepdaughter was in sixth grade. There are a lot of different people instead of Bush that could have been used for that "excellent exercise" (why not Putin, for example - that's a whole lot more current) but Bush was used. Take the word of someone who has seen D.C.'s choices of texts and articles for these assignments - if you (not you personally, Magnus, but "you" in general) think this is anything but a political statement, you're mistaken, and any student who provides "a huge number of contrasts and only a couple of similarities is going to take a hit to his or her GPA.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, 0pus wrote:
Quote:
Back to the main topic. Anybody know how to get a hold of the two readings?

I suspect, but cannot verify, that the two readings are here:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/scholastic......get=_NEW

and here

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2003/Bush-I......629c0312

Thanks. If those are the right readings, I strongly doubt that any child in a 6th grade class could make much progress on the assignment. Of course, their parents might take over...
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Again, I must say that I cannot verify that these are the actual readings. If they are, I don't see how a sixth grader could compare and contrast Bush and Hitler from just these readings.

I agree with Magnus that the assignment could have been a good pedagogical tool. Use of a Venn diagram is pretty creative in marrying math and reading comprehension. But (i) the assignment probably was not appropriate for children as young as children in the sixth grade, (ii) the characterization of Bush's actions as an "abuse of power" was highly conclusory, biased and incendiary, and (iii) if these were the assigned readings -- and I can't say they were -- they did not seem to be particularly informative or relevant to the stated problem.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Again, I must say that I cannot verify that these are the actual readings. If they are, I don't see how a sixth grader could compare and contrast Bush and Hitler from just these readings.

I agree with Magnus that the assignment could have been a good pedagogical tool. Use of a Venn diagram is pretty creative in marrying math and reading comprehension. But (i) the assignment probably was not appropriate for children as young as children in the sixth grade, (ii) the characterization of Bush's actions as an "abuse of power" was highly conclusory, biased and incendiary, and (iii) if these were the assigned readings -- and I can't say they were -- they did not seem to be particularly informative or relevant to the stated problem.

Perfectly put. +1
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Quote:
Why the fuss about Ferguson when it's being resolved, i.e. "handled locally"?

Because the facts are in dispute with Ferguson. Here, the teacher admits to using poor judgment and realizes that it was a mistake.

I would posit that the real reason is that people don't like the way it's being resolved. Which is why the Bush/Hitler thing has some legs, as well.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
the characterization of Bush's actions as an "abuse of power" was highly conclusory, biased and incendiary

Anyone surprised, raise your right hand.

Smile

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:I would posit that the real reason is that people don't like the way it's being resolved. Which is why the Bush/Hitler thing has some legs, as well.

Oh I believe that is true, but I didn't get the vibe that the issue was closed. I'm sure the concerned parents will make further inquiries and there will be more accountability forthcoming. I just don't believe that they need mine or (a collective) yours assistance. If the parents and or the community (since they pay school taxes) aren't satisfied or hit a school board wall, then it is all subject to change.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Just so we can balance out all this faux outrage

http://www.koaa.com/news/pa-teacher-comp......t-obama/
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Payne wrote:
Just so we can balance out all this faux outrage

http://www.koaa.com/news/pa-teacher-comp......t-obama/

Good grief! Let's hope these two are isolated incidents.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
Yes, and I remember the response to it. Well, let me backtrack. I remember some Tea Party members making the comparison. Did "The Democratic Party" compare Bush to Hitler?

The Democratic Party? No. Individual Democrate? No doubt. I can't think of a single post-Eisenhower president who was compared to Hitler, or a Communist tyrant, at one point or another. (Remember the newspaper ads that greeted Kennedy when he arrived in Dallas?)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Yes, and I remember the response to it. Well, let me backtrack. I remember some Tea Party members making the comparison. Did "The Democratic Party" compare Bush to Hitler?

The Democratic Party? No. Individual Democrate? No doubt.

Exactly. So no...I don't remember when "the Tea Party" compared Obama and Hitler.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The Tea Party, unlike The Democatic Party, is not a single discrete political entity. There are several Tea Party groups, all of which claim to be the "real" Tea Party." And yes, at least one of those has openly compared Obama to Hitler in its mailings and promotional materials.

(Such as the Tea Party group that printed and distributed thousand of Hitler/Obama posters that were proudly displayed at many tea party rallies. Almost as popular as the witch doctor poster.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"At least one of those groups" doesn't constitute "the Tea Party."

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That begs the question, which one of those groups IS the tea party? It's silly to even compare them with the Democratic Party since they aren't an actual political party at all.

But, then, even Fox has reported the following:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/......-hitler/
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
A fine example of somebunall, criticized by other Tea Partiers (members of a national group).

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The real difference is that when Democrats make Bush/Hitler comparisons, it's considered a political critique, but when Republicans or Tea Partiers make Obama/Hitler comparisons, it's considered a racial slur. Thus covering the Bush/Hitler comparisons with more legitimacy while marginalizing the Obama/Hitler comparisons.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » DC Teacher (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL