The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Never Been There But I Hear... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Decades now I've used golfers' towels embroidered with 'Bates Motel'. One hangs off my trunk on stage. Another is in my balloon kit and hangs off the pump.

Bates Motel frequently gets a comment/wink from an adult after the show.

Had a freeview the other night on HBO and saw the first two Hobbit movies. Hadn't thought of the 'Prancing Pony' in ages.

Got me thinking of other possibilities:

Fawlty Towers is a bit obvious but should get a laugh.

The Admiral Benbow Inn; a favorite from me youth.

Overlook Hotel

Kellerman's Resort

The Tabard; Whan in Abril...guess who was an English major.

Holiday Inn

Any suggestions?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Penn State?
Guantanamo Bay?

I am finding that most people under 30 don't have knowledge of the classics anymore. The other day I almost stroked out because someone didn't know who Vincent Price was...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hotel California
Heartbreak Hotel
Motel Hell
Cell Block 6
Grand Budapest Hotel
Hitching Post Motel
Desert Sands Motor Hotel
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I have a sweat shirt that has a collegiate logo and says "Juan de Fuca U." Smile

(The Straits of Juan De Fuca, the explorer are right here in Washington.)
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Image


Cozy Cone Motel (Kids should get that one)
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
An Inn joke for the mentalists.

Baldpate Inn
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2839 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Many years ago, there was a mystery book bookshop in NYC called ''The Mysterious Bookshop.'' They sold other things besides books. [I really wanted a full sized Maltese Falcon, but they didn't have any left in stock.] They also used to sell brass key tags. They had the ''Bates Motel'' as well as the Orient Express.

I'll bet Disneyland does something with the Cozy Cone Motel since they've opened a ''Radiator Springs'' attraction in Anaheim.

I know if you go through ''The Tower of Terror,'' when you come out into the enevitable gift shop, they have towels and bathrobes with the logo for ''Hollywood Tower Hotel'' which is supposed to be the name of the place you just went through.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Beowulf wrote:
Decades now I've used golfers' towels embroidered with 'Bates Motel'. One hangs off my trunk on stage. Another is in my balloon kit and hangs off the pump.

Bates Motel frequently gets a comment/wink from an adult after the show.

Had a freeview the other night on HBO and saw the first two Hobbit movies. Hadn't thought of the 'Prancing Pony' in ages.

Got me thinking of other possibilities:

Fawlty Towers is a bit obvious but should get a laugh.

The Admiral Benbow Inn; a favorite from me youth.

Overlook Hotel

Kellerman's Resort

The Tabard; Whan in Abril...guess who was an English major.

Holiday Inn

Any suggestions?


I really like The Overlook Hotel. I think it's a bit more subtle and will fly by most people but those who get it will get a kick out of it.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Beowulf wrote:
Decades now I've used golfers' towels embroidered with 'Bates Motel'. One hangs off my trunk on stage. Another is in my balloon kit and hangs off the pump.

Bates Motel frequently gets a comment/wink from an adult after the show.

Had a freeview the other night on HBO and saw the first two Hobbit movies. Hadn't thought of the 'Prancing Pony' in ages.

Got me thinking of other possibilities:

Fawlty Towers is a bit obvious but should get a laugh.

The Admiral Benbow Inn; a favorite from me youth.

Overlook Hotel

Kellerman's Resort

The Tabard; Whan in Abril...guess who was an English major.

Holiday Inn

Any suggestions?


I really like The Overlook Hotel. I think it's a bit more subtle and will fly by most people but those who get it will get a kick out of it.


Holiday Inn is an interesting one. Of course, there is the familiar hotel chain. But, there is another angle if you're a fan of Irving Berlin.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2839 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Absolutely, they don't play that one very much, I imagine it's because of the cook and the two children.

I went to NYC Comic Con a couple of years back, I bought my wife a pint glass with "Merlotte's Bar and Grill" on it.

At the last Anime Boston, my kids brought me back a t-shirt that read; "Aperture Laboratories" "Doing What We Must, Because We Can!"

I was wearing that one in Wal Mart (day off) one day and someone came the other way with "Black Mesa Laboratories" on his shirt!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Magnus: love it.

Salguod: Cozy Cone goes on the list, but I wonder if Ed isn't right about Disney having this covered. I do remember the bathrobes at Unuversal Studios with Bates Motel on them. And I have a buddy who performed at Gitmo as part of a USO tour a long time ago.

Michael: When I'm twisting balloons and a civilian asks where I learned to do this stuff, my favorite answer is "Prison". Gotta measure your audience, but I love the reactions I get.

Along with Cozy Cone, think I'll have one made up with Last Homely House/Rivendale.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
For the very in-crowd finger flickers: Forks Hotel.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2839 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Beowulf wrote:

Michael: When I'm twisting balloons and a civilian asks where I learned to do this stuff, my favorite answer is "Prison". Gotta measure your audience, but I love the reactions I get.



I remember in the book "One Balloon Zoo," the writer had a one liner about learning balloon animals; "Balloon School! Sixteen weeks and would you believe it, I flunked! Couldn't make a horsey!"
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Never Been There But I Hear... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL