The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A pleasant reminder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
In view of what will be said ten years from now, after thousands of more bombs, millions displaced, tens of thousands more deaths, and general horror at being snookered once again into unending war, I thought I'd post this as a reminder, just so that no one can say, "But how could we possibly have known what would have happened? Everyone thought we had to invade."

Quote:
as President Obama prepares to send the United States on what could be a years long military campaign against the militant group, American intelligence agencies have concluded that it poses no immediate threat to the United States. Some officials and terrorism experts believe that the actual danger posed by ISIS has been distorted in hours of television punditry and alarmist statements by politicians, and that there has been little substantive public debate about the unintended consequences of expanding American military action in the Middle East.

Daniel Benjamin, who served as the State Department’s top counterterrorism adviser during Mr. Obama’s first term, said the public discussion about the ISIS threat has been a “farce,” with “members of the cabinet and top military officers all over the place describing the threat in lurid terms that are not justified.”

“It’s hard to imagine a better indication of the ability of elected officials and TV talking heads to spin the public into a panic, with claims that the nation is honeycombed with sleeper cells, that operatives are streaming across the border into Texas or that the group will soon be spraying Ebola virus on mass transit systems — all on the basis of no corroborated information,” said Mr. Benjamin, who is now a scholar at Dartmouth College.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/world/......are&_r=0

ISIS is playing its hand brilliantly; it is the fulfillment of the Bin Laden strategy to draw the US into a war that will cause the US to destroy itself.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You may not agree with the guy, but if you haven't listened to Greg Gutfeld before, he's pretty darn funny.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/v......93649001

"If cross dressing as a righty gets the country behind you, then why not just get the sex change? Come to the right side. We’re more fun and we’re always armed. And let’s stop insulting the right when acting like them actually saves your rear."

"Finally, you the President must believe in this fight. No 18 holes after a head rolls."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I agree that Gutfeld is pretty funny generally. I grabbed one of his books.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why not, his predecessor, after stating that he didn't think much about bin Laden any more, followed by saying, "Now watch this drive" as he teed off on the golf course.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Why not, his predecessor, after stating that he didn't think much about bin Laden any more, followed by saying, "Now watch this drive" as he teed off on the golf course.

You beat me to it, Bob! Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Actually, I don't seem to remember that. Got a link by any chance?

Besides, Gutfeld was funny, which is what we're talkin about here.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

I watch a few shows on media and advertising and this clip is often used to show the disconnect between spokespersons real life and their public pronouncements - how they switch on and off who they are, and who they wish to be perceived as.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hmmm, just as I remembered, nothing about Bin Laden in that clip. Maybe Bob's makin stuff up again.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wasn't that a Michael Moore clip anyway? God knows what the raw footage looked like.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Landmark has a point. If you recall, Bush said that if Saddam stepped down he wouldn't attack and let things settle. Russia was working on it, just like they successfully negotiated the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons last year ... BUT Bush jumped the gun with that feeble Shock and Awe failure ... Then the war ..then the hanging of Saddam even though there were NO WMD's ...But at this point with Saddam gone and no WMD's did he let it all settle? ... NOPE ... The war machine continued.

We spend more money on defense than the next 5 or 10 nations combined yet we allowed 911 to happen? ... just doesn't fit right....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Six Steps Short of War to Beat ISIS
http://www.commondreams.org/views/2014/0......eat-isis
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
“The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him.”
- George W. Bush, 9/13/2001

“So I don’t know where he is. You know, I just don’t spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you.”
- George W. Bush, 3/13/2002
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
OMG, is everything still Bush's fault?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
We need to lengthen our vision a bit. Has the world been relatively stable and free of wars at any point in human history? All things told, we're in a very quiet period right now.

ISIS reminds me of the days when a fella with money and charisma could raise a private army and wreak havoc on his neighbours.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
OMG, is everything still Bush's fault?

Not at all. The subject had turned to disengaged presidents. We've had more than one I expect.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

ISIS reminds me of the days when a fella with money and charisma could raise a private army and wreak havoc on his neighbours.

Was the fella's name Erik Prince?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Was the fella's name Erik Prince?

Never heard of him. There are a number of small mercenary armies available for rent these days. Certainly a few decades ago, Latin America and parts of Africa were full of them. But ISIS appears to be on the magnitude of something Pompey, or the Crusades.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
“The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him.”

“So I don’t know where he is. You know, I just don’t spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you.”

Do you think that Obama spent more time on Bin Laden than Bush did?

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Those quotes were in reference to the supposed disengagement of the present occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

As to your question, I would say Yes. The previous administration was basically too distracted by shiny objects most of the time (in the form of plundering the public trough for corporate and military gain) to give much thought to Bin Laden once his usefulness to said project had been outlived (so to speak).
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Do you think that Obama spent more time on Bin Laden than Bush did?

Frankly, yes. A lot more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A pleasant reminder (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL