The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Snap Change Question? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
I know, I know, I said I didn't want to learn any magic that involves playing cards. But I saw a trick and it blew me away, it wa called the SNAP CHANGE. So I have started to learn to do it. My question is this, is it normal for the "snap" to be very slow when you are first started out doing this, as I am very slow at the snap?

Any advice on how I can speed up?

Also, if this is the wrong forum for this, I m sorry, I didn't see a forum in the CARD section that seamed appropriate based on their discriptions.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Where are you learning the change from? I am sure that Marlo explained in details how to do it...

P!
Brogan_C
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Brogan_C
Michael Hankins has an amazing video for the snap change on theory11. Only $4 and it teaches the snap change, many nuances, and a few variations.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, Ado wrote:
Where are you learning the change from? I am sure that Marlo explained in details how to do it...

P!

I am learning it from this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsbYA49p3zQ

Before you go at me and start saying that "YouTube" reveals secrets, that is not what I use YouTube for. I use YouTube as the world's largets library, a way to LEARN (not exspose) just about anything.

I only view 3 YouTube channels when it comes to learning magic and they are: 52KARDS >>> https://www.youtube.com/user/DecksAndContests , SCAM SCHOOL >>> https://www.youtube.com/user/scamschool , and DOSTURB REALITY >>> https://www.youtube.com/user/howtoDisturbReality
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, TheBigDC wrote:
Before you go at me and start saying that "YouTube" reveals secrets, that is not what I use YouTube for. I use YouTube as the world's largets library, a way to LEARN (not exspose) just about anything.

Well, yes, "youtube" reveals secrets. If you learn from it, that's your problem. I don't do the snap change, and don't plan to (because it's not the kind of magic I do). So, I won't be able to tell you if that guy is teaching well in that video (I jsut watched the first 20 seconds).

My take on that here is that the library you're using is really full of very ****ty authors. So, my suggestion is
1) get an accredited lesson (Marlo, or that guy on theory 11) and be assured that their teaching is going to be correct, or
2) forget about all videos/books and work on the move by yourself until you do it right. In other words, reinvent it.

P!
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Ado wrote:
Quote:

Well, yes, "youtube" reveals secrets. If you learn from it, that's your problem. I don't do the snap change, and don't plan to (because it's not the kind of magic I do). So, I won't be able to tell you if that guy is teaching well in that video (I jsut watched the first 20 seconds).

My take on that here is that the library you're using is really full of very ****ty authors. So, my suggestion is
1) get an accredited lesson (Marlo, or that guy on theory 11) and be assured that their teaching is going to be correct, or
2) forget about all videos/books and work on the move by yourself until you do it right. In other words, reinvent it.

P!

This is where I disagree, YouTube DOES NOT reveal secrets. I don't believe that YouTube has ever called anyone up and said, "Hey here is a magic secret I want to reveal to you", I just highly doubt it. People whom LEGITAMATELY bought the illusion/effect from a reputable magic dealer are the ones whom revealed the secrets, they put it on YouTube. They could have easily gave them to libraries, exposed them on tv, exposed it to large groups of people and a lot, lot, more, as I imagine many of them have. So YOUTUBE DOES NOT reveal secrets INDIVIDUAS whom LEGITAMATELY BUY the effects/illusions do and they WILL ALWAYS FIND WAYS TO EEXPOSE THEM!!!!

But as I said, I am not watching videos from YOUTUBE to EXPOSE secrets, I am watching these videos to LEARN MAGIC. The videos I watch of illusions/effects would be considered public domain and/or authorized and accredited to the performer to teach them on these YouTube channels, sometimes the owner/creator themselves appear in these videos. YouTube is a GREAT resource, it is just ALL in how you use it.

While there maybe a lot of sh***y performers/teachers on YouTube teaching magic, there are an equal amount of sh**y performers/teachers teaching the exact same illusions and effects on reputable magic dealer sites and shops as well, it is all in due dilligence in finding good ones no matter if on YouTube or on reputable magic dealer sites and shops.

One other thing, before I started learning to do the Snap Change from the video I previously mentioned on YouTube, I had actually figured out how the SNAP CHANGE was done simply by watching the performance of it by Michael Hankins because I feal his performace is so bad on it that it actually reveals its secret. And this is the video you and others are recommending!? To each his own opinion.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:
This is where I disagree, YouTube DOES NOT reveal secrets. I don't believe that YouTube has ever called anyone up and said, "Hey here is a magic secret I want to reveal to you", I just highly doubt it. People whom LEGITAMATELY bought the illusion/effect from a reputable magic dealer are the ones whom revealed the secrets, they put it on YouTube. They could have easily gave them to libraries, exposed them on tv, exposed it to large groups of people and a lot, lot, more, as I imagine many of them have. So YOUTUBE DOES NOT reveal secrets INDIVIDUAS whom LEGITAMATELY BUY the effects/illusions do and they WILL ALWAYS FIND WAYS TO EEXPOSE THEM!!!!

Semantics. How many hundreds of tricks can you find on YouTube with the word "revealed" in the title? And how many of those tricks are still sold by magic dealers? YouTube reveals a lot of secrets and costs a lot of money to people trying to make a living. I can't claim to be innocent myself when it comes to looking at the videos, but as a matter of principle I only look at magic which I have no intention of doing myself. The bottom line is that anyone who wants to save a lot of money buying effects can do it on YouTube because the secrets are revealed for free there. YouTube certainly does reveal secrets and they don't have to call you up and say "I want to reveal a secret to you" to fall into that category.

As for your original question, when you say that your snap is slow, let me ask this: assuming you can snap your fingers and make a sound with them (not everyone can), would you say that your snapping motion is slower than average in that situation? I would say that my snap of the fingers is exactly what you'd find with almost anyone's, but when I was learning the snap change it was absurdly slow at first because the motion didn't feel completely natural to me at first. Do it often enough and it will start to feel more natural, and the speed will come with it.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
Semantics. How many hundreds of tricks can you find on YouTube with the word "revealed" in the title? And how many of those tricks are still sold by magic dealers? YouTube reveals a lot of secrets and costs a lot of money to people trying to make a living. I can't claim to be innocent myself when it comes to looking at the videos, but as a matter of principle I only look at magic which I have no intention of doing myself. The bottom line is that anyone who wants to save a lot of money buying effects can do it on YouTube because the secrets are revealed for free there. YouTube certainly does reveal secrets and they don't have to call you up and say "I want to reveal a secret to you" to fall into that category.

As for your original question, when you say that your snap is slow, let me ask this: assuming you can snap your fingers and make a sound with them (not everyone can), would you say that your snapping motion is slower than average in that situation? I would say that my snap of the fingers is exactly what you'd find with almost anyone's, but when I was learning the snap change it was absurdly slow at first because the motion didn't feel completely natural to me at first. Do it often enough and it will start to feel more natural, and the speed will come with it.

In all honesty it has NOTHING to do with semantics, you can't really believe YouTube reveals secrets,it is not them, it IS PEOPLE whom LEGITAMATELY BUY the effects/illusions and then place them on YouTube and other places. These same people would be revealing these secrets on the same levels of exposure whether YouTube and other video sites or torrent sites existed or not. It would be like saying your a slasher because you watch slasher movies= or read slasher books, NO, slashers are people that ACTUALLY go out and slash people. As I said before, it is the INDIVIDUALS whom LEGITAMATRLY buy the effects/illusions and reveal them on YouTube and other places NOT YouTube its self, YouTube was just the media they chosee to reval it on. Blaming YouTube for the revealing of secrets is like saying people don't have to take responsibility for their own action, just blame someone or something else for what happens.

On answering my question, Thank You! Yes I can snap my fingers and make a snapping sound when I do it. My snap is slower with a card in my fingers then it is without one because it doesn't feel natural with the card in them. So in time the more I do it the more natural it will feel and it becomes faster, that is what I will look forward to.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
OK, I'm going off topic...

Quote:
People whom LEGITAMATELY bought the illusion/effect from a reputable magic dealer are the ones whom revealed the secrets, they put it on YouTube.

OK. And the gun didn't kill anyone, I get it. When we say that youtube reveals, we use a rhetorical principle called a metonymy. No need to be so literal.
Also, you have no proof that those people actually purchased the effect. Maybe they learned it from another youtube channel.

Quote:
They could have easily gave them to libraries, exposed them on tv, exposed it to large groups of people and a lot, lot, more, as I imagine many of them have.

And they could be sued if they exposed on TV something they didn't own.

Quote:
But as I said, I am not watching videos from YOUTUBE to EXPOSE secrets, I am watching these videos to LEARN MAGIC.

I am not saying you're exposing. I am saying you're used exposed material. That's different.

Quote:
The videos I watch of illusions/effects would be considered public domain and/or authorized and accredited to the performer to teach them on these YouTube channels, sometimes the owner/creator themselves appear in these videos.

What makes you say they'd be public domain? How do you know that Marlo is happy with people sharing his magic like that?

Quote:
YouTube is a GREAT resource, it is just ALL in how you use it.

Sure. In that case, the question is "is the right way to use it *not* to use it?"

Quote:
While there maybe a lot of sh***y performers/teachers on YouTube teaching magic, there are an equal amount of sh**y performers/teachers teaching the exact same illusions and effects on reputable magic dealer sites and shops as well, it is all in due dilligence in finding good ones no matter if on YouTube or on reputable magic dealer sites and shops.

Back to the topic. As I said, I think the creator of the effect is a good reference.

Quote:
One other thing, before I started learning to do the Snap Change from the video I previously mentioned on YouTube, I had actually figured out how the SNAP CHANGE was done simply by watching the performance of it by Michael Hankins because I feal his performace is so bad on it that it actually reveals its secret.

Well, if he was revealing, then you should have been able to do it by yourself. I understand you don't. What you guessed, was the concept. What you didn't, was the details to make it happen. That's why I suggested you go back to the source, or that you just learn to learn, and try to reinvent it by yourself.

P!
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Ado wrote:
OK, I'm going off topic...
P!

Quote:
OK. And the gun didn't kill anyone, I get it. When we say that youtube reveals, we use a rhetorical principle called a metonymy. No need to be so literal.
Also, you have no proof that those people actually purchased the effect. Maybe they learned it from another youtube channel.

In order for the secret to be revealed whether it be on YouTube, another video site, a torrent site, or anywhere else, SOMEONE, ANYONE, had to LEAGALLY ORIGINALLY PURCHASE the effect/illusion from the dealer site/shop. Now whether the ORIGINAL purchaser gave or sold the illusion/effect I can not say, but it is effident that they did sell or give it away, because that is how the VERY FIRST person to exspose the secret got it to expose it in the first place. So whether or not YouTube or other video sites or torrent sites or other ever existed or not, people that want to expose magic secrets WILL ALWAYS FIND A WAY.

Quote:
And they could be sued if they exposed on TV something they didn't own.

NO ONE said that they couldn't sue them for exposing it on tv. But the fact of the matter is, some people will go ahead and expose it anyways and get sued, so while they may still be sued and have to pay, the ILLUSION/EFFECT has STILL BEEN EXPOSED, it didn't stop it. On another note, ANY PUBLIC or PRIVATE work may be donated to ANY POUBLIC library if it is donated by the original purchaser and/or the original creator/owner, then the SECRET is FULLY AVAILABLE TO ALL TO SEE FREE OF CHARGE as the LIBRARY accepts ALL FINANCIAL and LEGAL responsibilities and liabilities for the work once they accept it, as long as the work IS NOT a matter of national security. This DOES NOT mean I condone exsposing the secrets, I DON'T. But some people will find a way NO MATTER WHAT!

Quote:
I am not saying you're exposing. I am saying you're used exposed material. That's different.

When you do a card palm, the classic pass, or another method/effect/illusion that is SO COMMON and has been AROUND FOR MANY, MANY, MANY years YOU ARE USING exsposed material, NO MATTER if you paid for it or not, simply because IT HAS BEEN AROUND SO MUCH and people know it. I have seen NON MAGICIANS do these moves and EXSPOSE THEM LONG BEFORE the existance of the internet. So these type of things are exsposed long before, and I venture to say you probably use one or more of them yourself.

Quote:
What makes you say they'd be public domain? How do you know that Marlo is happy with people sharing his magic like that?

You can always look up whether something is still covered by a copyright, trademark, or patent, or if it has exspired and is now public domain. But then again, if you don't condone using YouTube to learn magic because of the exsposure and you say it is being done wrong, how can it be exsposure of the secret if it is being done wrong? The only thing that person would be exsposing would be what they created themselves. But if you say NO they are exsposing secrets that others own and/or created, then you are also having to admit that in order to exspose the secret they have to be doing it correctly to begin with, otherwise your argument makes no sense and has no logic or merit to it. So if it is ok to learn it from a REPUTABLE source even if that source learned it ORGINLLY from a PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK and/or VIDEO OR from ANOTHER magician and is willing to teach you something that is considered by MOST ALL magicians as PUBLICLY available to learn and TEACH it to you on YouTube (not things which are extremely expressed by the owner/creator to be tought by a certain way or media), how is that any different then getting it from a magic dealer site/shop?.

Quote:
Sure. In that case, the question is "is the right way to use it *not* to use it?"

There is NO DIFFERENCE between using YouTube to learn to do magic as their is in using your PUBLIC library to learn to do magic or learning from a dealer's video or from another magician or any other resource as long as you do it LEGALLY. Your issue to me seems that it is not that HOW someone learns it as long as they DON'T learn it on YouTube, even if that means they learn it from a reputable source and even if the teaching from that reputable source is sh**y at best as long as they got it from that reputable source.

Quote:
Back to the topic. As I said, I think the creator of the effect is a good reference.

You're right, the creator would be a GREAT RESOURCE. But unfortunately Ed Marlo is NO LONGER living, so asking him is truly impossible.

Quote:
Well, if he was revealing, then you should have been able to do it by yourself. I understand you don't. What you guessed, was the concept. What you didn't, was the details to make it happen. That's why I suggested you go back to the source, or that you just learn to learn, and try to reinvent it by yourself.

Whoa, back up there, WHO said I couldn't do it by myself, WHO said I couldn't make it happen, I NEVER EVER said that! In fact, I CAN do it, I HAVE done it! All I said, all I asked was, "Is it normal for the snap to be very slow when you are first started out doing this, as I am very slow at the snap. My question was a general question on the sopeed of the snap, to see if was slow for others as well as myself to start with....NOTHING MORE!!!

I am NOT CONDONING the exsposure of the secrets or giving away someone's work for wich they exspect to be paid, I am only saying YouTube is a great resource for LEARNING to do magic that is legitanately available for free in all kinds of meadia.

Aslo when you asked me where I was learning this from, I said YouTube, I also said, "Before you go at me and start saying that "YouTube" reveals secrets, that is not what I use YouTube for. I use YouTube as the world's largets library, a way to LEARN (not exspose) just about anything.", but that is EXACTLY what you have done. You give very little advice on the speed of the snap but post tons of your opinuions on why I or anyone else should not use YouTube because it "reveals" secrets as you make claim to, so if your going to respond, and I say this with a lot of respect, I please ask that you stay on my toipic about the speed of the snap and leave out the opinions on YouTube as that is not what I asked about.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Everything can become faster and smoother with a critical eye.

If you didn't want the YouTube problems, why even talk about it? You know the moment you tell someone not to touch something they want to touch it.

I'm not going into the YouTube thing too much, but why not just ask that person since you value their information?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Got to love magicians helping magicians. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, Andy Young wrote:
Everything can become faster and smoother with a critical eye.

If you didn't want the YouTube problems, why even talk about it? You know the moment you tell someone not to touch something they want to touch it.

I'm not going into the YouTube thing too much, but why not just ask that person since you value their information?

Yeah I am now seeing that with several hours of practice, the snap is getting faster and smoother.

Honestly, just because you can touch something doesn't mean you should. In fact I usually don't and most of the people I personally know don't either, maybe we are just very rare in that aspeact.

It was a general question to other magicians on these forums that do the snap change as well, I just wanted their opinions on the speed of their snap when they first started doing it, I never said I didn't ask that person first. You're just assuming I didn't.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Did you ask them?
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Speed really comes with time. Most technical moves I tend to learn slower and work my way up to speed. I can then clearly see the mechanics of my motion. Another good way of evaluating is by recording yourself.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
Did you ask them?

Yes I did, I also received an answer. But as with almost ANYTHING that I do, I always like to get multiple opinions by different people on things.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
Speed really comes with time. Most technical moves I tend to learn slower and work my way up to speed. I can then clearly see the mechanics of my motion. Another good way of evaluating is by recording yourself.

That is what I was asking here was how was the speed for others when they first started doing it. Yeah I know it wiill require practice and lots of it and the speed will come in time, I just wanted to see if some people were getting much faster then they expected they would.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I can go as fast as I would do a normal finger snap. Speed isn't everything, naturalness is key.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Quote:

you can't really believe YouTube reveals secrets,

Not trying to be confrontational, but yes, I can.

Quote:
it is not them, it IS PEOPLE whom LEGITAMATELY BUY the effects/illusions and then place them on YouTube and other places. These same people would be revealing these secrets on the same levels of exposure whether YouTube and other video sites or torrent sites existed or not.

How do you know this? The Internet provides instant feedback and an ego boost in terms of the number of subscribers. I would imagine that if the instant feedback weren't there, many people wouldn't bother revealing / exposing / (whatever term you prefer) these secrets, and those who still wanted to might not do it for free. But because YouTube DOES exist, not nearly as many effects need to be purchased. The person I learned Paul Harris's "Overkill" from didn't but the effect, she got it from YouTube.

And how do you know that everyone telling secrets on YouTube bought the effects to begin with?

Quote:
It would be like saying your a slasher because you watch slasher movies= or read slasher books, NO, slashers are people that ACTUALLY go out and slash people.

Again, I really don't mean to be confrontational, but I don't see the parallel here. So let me ask you this: if I legitimately bought a series of music CDs you wanted but couldn't afford or didn't want to spend money on, would it be okay if I just sent you the Mp3 files?

Quote:
As I said before, it is the INDIVIDUALS whom LEGITAMATRLY buy the effects/illusions and reveal them on YouTube and other places NOT YouTube its self, YouTube was just the media they chosee to reval it on.

And again, how do you know this? Are you seriously saying that every person who explains the method behind a trick on YouTube bought the effect? Do you truly believe there has never been a case of someone figuring out a trick and putting the secret on YouTube just to show how clever he is, to impress a girl, to get more subscribers (we all know how people want more subscribers because so many videos of all kinds badger you to subscribe to the owner's channel), etc? Do you really believe it's never happened where one magician exposed another magician's trick (or had someone else do it) out of jealousy, spite, animosity, professional self-interest, etc?

The bottom line is that many people have saved a lot of money on effects by using YouTube and it takes money out of the pockets of people who sell magic effects for a living.

Quote:
Blaming YouTube for the revealing of secrets is like saying people don't have to take responsibility for their own action, just blame someone or something else for what happens.

I do know that many people don't WANT to take responsibility and don't WANT to spend money. And they don't have to because YouTube (or, if you insist on being technical, the people who post videos on it) has plenty of videos saying "(insert name of effect here) REVEALED!"

Phrase it any way you want - what goes on on YouTube isn't good for magic. And if it's just YouTube you're defending in a "It isn't the fault of the site that there are so many jerks on it" approach, fine, but even if you hammer that point home with every magician alive today, it doesn't do anything to solve the problem. If you see a trick you like and want to know the secret without paying for it, you have a good shot at being able to do it on YouTube. Even if you take on the Stanford debate team and win your point that YouTube does not reveal secrets, secrets are revealed on YouTube.

And, no offense intended, you personally have no way of knowing that the person revealing the secret actually bought the effect. You just don't.

Quote:
On answering my question, Thank You! Yes I can snap my fingers and make a snapping sound when I do it. My snap is slower with a card in my fingers then it is without one because it doesn't feel natural with the card in them. So in time the more I do it the more natural it will feel and it becomes faster, that is what I will look forward to.

You're very welcome. Look, I'm 5'6" and I have the small hands that come with being short. The snap change came to me slowly, but it did and it will come to you. One piece of advice, though - once you do have it down, practice it every day. Once I finally got it down I put it aside, tried it again about a week later and screwed up my first few attempts. But now I do the snap change several times every day, I keep a couple cards in my shirt pocket at work or wherever else I am, I do the snap change at least a dozen times a day just to keep it fresh. It's now the one move (the only one, actually) that I feel I do as well as anyone, but believe me when I say that when I first started learning it, my first attempts (many, many attempts) were so slow, awkward, clumsy, unnatural-feeling and poorly executed, I thought I'd never get it down well. I eventually did, and so will you. Take my word for it.
TheBigDC
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of TheBigDC
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

Before I begin, please understand I DO NOT favor the exsposure of secrets and/or sharing of magic without paying for it. But there is a lot of magic that is FREE And lEGAL to learn as noted by Public Domain and/or the owner/creator's permission to learn on YouTube.

Quote:
Not trying to be confrontational, but yes, I can.

Does that mean we ALL should believe that LEGITAMATELY PURCHASED VIDEOS AND BOOKS on magic has revealed more magic secrets then ANYTHING ELSE in history and they are the TRUE cause of secrets being revealed, because they existed long before YOUTUBE and any other video or torrent site, even long before the internet. Sounds just as rediculous as your own statement does, why, because you blame the place it hgappened and not the cause. The RESULT is the exsposure and/or sharing of the secret with or without paying for it, the PLACE is YouTube the CAUSE is the PEOPLE whom did it, NOT YouTube.

Quote:
How do you know this? The Internet provides instant feedback and an ego boost in terms of the number of subscribers. I would imagine that if the instant feedback weren't there, many people wouldn't bother revealing / exposing / (whatever term you prefer) these secrets, and those who still wanted to might not do it for free. But because YouTube DOES exist, not nearly as many effects need to be purchased. The person I learned Paul Harris's "Overkill" from didn't but the effect, she got it from YouTube.

And how do you know that everyone telling secrets on YouTube bought the effects to begin with?

How do you know these people get an ego boost from getting subscribers, or if the feedback wasn't there many people wouldn't bother revealing the secrets and those who wanted to might not do it for free, YOU DON'T and YOU CAN'T know that for a fact.

Not to be condescending mean, accusative, or anything else, but why in the world would I or anyone else EVER want to listen to you or believe you on this subject in believing YouTube is part of the problem and/or the problem for magic secrets being revealed? By your OWN ADMISSION you used YouTube INDIRECTLY becauuse you learned it from someone whom DID use YouTube (and your implying she did not pay for it) to get the secret of magic and you learned it from them (and you imply you did not pay for it either)? As I said, I am not trying to be condescending mean, accusative, or anything else, but why should I or anyone else listen to you on this when you have done it your self by your own admission and that you may still be doing this? Is it because you and her did it and that is your proof? If so, all that proves is that it IS NOT YouTube's fault but THE PEOPLE that use YouTube or ANY OTHER TYPE OF MEDIA to get/learn these secrets.

In order for the secret to be revealed ORIGINALLY THE VERY FIRST TIME whether it be on YouTube, another video site, a torrent site, or anywhere else, SOMEONE, ANYONE, had to LEAGALLY ORIGINALLY PURCHASE the effect/illusion from the dealer site/shop. Now whether the ORIGINAL purchaser gave away or sold the illusion/effect I can not say, but it is evident that they did sell or give it away, because that is how the VERY FIRST person to exspose the secret got it to expose it in the first place UNLESS the original purchaser did it, and whether it was originally exposed on YouTube or somewhere else I can not say, but IT WAS EXPOSED. So whether or not YouTube or other video sites or torrent sites or other ever existed or not, people that want to expose magic secrets WILL ALWAYS FIND A WAY.

Quote:
Again, I really don't mean to be confrontational, but I don't see the parallel here. So let me ask you this: if I legitimately bought a series of music CDs you wanted but couldn't afford or didn't want to spend money on, would it be okay if I just sent you the Mp3 files?

We were not talking about effects/illusion that OBVIOUSLY SHOULD NOT be on YouTube or anywhere else, we WERE and ARE talking about effects/illusion that are considered by MOST MAGICIANS and by law as PUBLIC DOMAIN and/or authorized by the owner/creator to be LEGALLY taught on YouTube, NOT ones that the creator/owner expects to be paid for. Yes I know there is a lot of magic that SHOULD NOT be on YouTube, but you CAN NOT blame YouTube for that and YOU CANT not say it wouldn't be exsposed if YouTube did not exist or other sites like it, that SIMPLY IS NOT TRUE, UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE will ALWAYS find a way to exspose the secrets or share the magic without paying for it and they will ALWAYS find a way to do it on a GRAND SCALE whether YouTube and sites like it exist or not, and that is just the plain simple truth! I DON'T CONDONE it, but I know it is the truth.

Quote:
And again, how do you know this? Are you seriously saying that every person who explains the method behind a trick on YouTube bought the effect? Do you truly believe there has never been a case of someone figuring out a trick and putting the secret on YouTube just to show how clever he is, to impress a girl, to get more subscribers (we all know how people want more subscribers because so many videos of all kinds badger you to subscribe to the owner's channel), etc? Do you really believe it's never happened where one magician exposed another magician's trick (or had someone else do it) out of jealousy, spite, animosity, professional self-interest, etc?

The bottom line is that many people have saved a lot of money on effects by using YouTube and it takes money out of the pockets of people who sell magic effects for a living.

And again I refer to what I already wrote, "In order for the secret to be revealed ORIGINALLY THE VERY FIRST TIME whether it be on YouTube, another video site, a torrent site, or anywhere else, SOMEONE, ANYONE, had to LEAGALLY ORIGINALLY PURCHASE the effect/illusion from the dealer site/shop. Now whether the ORIGINAL purchaser gave away or sold the illusion/effect I can not say, but it is evident that they did sell or give it away, because that is how the VERY FIRST person to exspose the secret got it to expose it in the first place UNLESS the original purchaser did it, and whether it was originally exposed on YouTube or somewhere else I can not say, but IT WAS EXPOSED. So whether or not YouTube or other video sites or torrent sites or other ever existed or not, people that want to expose magic secrets WILL ALWAYS FIND A WAY.".

Quote:
I do know that many people don't WANT to take responsibility and don't WANT to spend money. And they don't have to because YouTube (or, if you insist on being technical, the people who post videos on it) has plenty of videos saying "(insert name of effect here) REVEALED!"

Your right many people don't want to take the responsibility and don't WANT to spend money, but it is THESE PEOPLE THAT SHOULD be blamed NOT YouTube. Blaming YouTube would be like saying It is a bank's fault because it got robbed and not the robber's because that is where the money is. That statement is JUST AS REDICULOUS as YOURS IS! Put the blame where it belongs on the CAUSE, the people that did it, NOT YouTube.

Quote:
Phrase it any way you want - what goes on on YouTube isn't good for magic. And if it's just YouTube you're defending in a "It isn't the fault of the site that there are so many jerks on it" approach, fine, but even if you hammer that point home with every magician alive today, it doesn't do anything to solve the problem. If you see a trick you like and want to know the secret without paying for it, you have a good shot at being able to do it on YouTube. Even if you take on the Stanford debate team and win your point that YouTube does not reveal secrets, secrets are revealed on YouTube.

You can spin it any way you want, if it wasn't for video to begin with there would not be any YouTube, so it must be video's fault that secretes were revealed, that sounded stupid didn't it. You can't blame the AVENUE that was used for an exsporue of secrets and/or sharing of them without them being paid for, and YouTube IS JUST AN AVENUE, you have to blame the PEOPLE for exsposing the secrets. YouTube IS NOT bad for magic, IT IS THE PEOPLE whom choose to EXSPOSE secrets that are bad for magic, NO MATTER WHAT AVENUE they choose to do it with.

I am sure there have been MANY PEOPLE whom have been inspired by YouTube to learn magic LEGITAMATELY and have paid for magic or gotten free magic that is allowed to be on YouTube by its owner/creator. To say YouTube hurts magic is REDICULOUS because it DOES NOT, the people that exspose magic or get it without paying for it does, but not YouTube. You could probably take YouTube and all other video sites and torrent sites down tonight and before night falls tommorrow there will probably be something out there that is twice as big as those and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the internet, and it will be exsposing magic secrets or giving them away for free without paying for them. Yes there are secret revealed on YouTube, yes people are sharing these secrets and/or using them without paying for them, BUT even if YouTube didn't exist and it does, PEOPLE would still be exsposing and/or sharing without paying for them and doing it on a GRAND SCALE and that is a fact. The problem IS NOT YouTube, IT IS THE PEOPLE that do it. Getting rid of YouTube and other sites like it WILL NEVER EVER help solve the problem or even slow it down. Until YOU convince the PEOPLE not to do these things it WILL ALWAYS contine to happoen ALWAYS! So blaming YouTube or taking it down or both IS NOT and NEVER will be a solution or part of it, but BLLAMING YouTube and other sites like it without addressing the real problkem, the PEOPL trhat dod this, WILL ALWAYS BE the problem and/or part of it. That is the truth.

Quote:
And, no offense intended, you personally have no way of knowing that the person revealing the secret actually bought the effect. You just don't.

Once again, no offense taken. I again refer back to what I previously wrote, "In order for the secret to be revealed ORIGINALLY THE VERY FIRST TIME whether it be on YouTube, another video site, a torrent site, or anywhere else, SOMEONE, ANYONE, had to LEAGALLY ORIGINALLY PURCHASE the effect/illusion from the dealer site/shop. Now whether the ORIGINAL purchaser gave away or sold the illusion/effect I can not say, but it is evident that they did sell or give it away, because that is how the VERY FIRST person to exspose the secret got it to expose it in the first place UNLESS the original purchaser did it, and whether it was originally exposed on YouTube or somewhere else I can not say, but IT WAS EXPOSED. So whether or not YouTube or other video sites or torrent sites or other ever existed or not, people that want to expose magic secrets WILL ALWAYS FIND A WAY.".

Quote:
You're very welcome. Look, I'm 5'6" and I have the small hands that come with being short. The snap change came to me slowly, but it did and it will come to you. One piece of advice, though - once you do have it down, practice it every day. Once I finally got it down I put it aside, tried it again about a week later and screwed up my first few attempts. But now I do the snap change several times every day, I keep a couple cards in my shirt pocket at work or wherever else I am, I do the snap change at least a dozen times a day just to keep it fresh. It's now the one move (the only one, actually) that I feel I do as well as anyone, but believe me when I say that when I first started learning it, my first attempts (many, many attempts) were so slow, awkward, clumsy, unnatural-feeling and poorly executed, I thought I'd never get it down well. I eventually did, and so will you. Take my word for it.

Thank you for the answer on my question.

I say again, please understand I DO NOT favor the exsposure of secrets and/or sharing of magic without paying for it. But there is a lot of magic that is FREE And lEGAL to learn as noted by Public Domain and/or the owner/creator's permission to learn on YouTube.

One last thing... This IS NOT a discussion on YouTube or other sites like it. This is however a question about the speed of your snap when doing the snap change for the very first time. If you can not keep your response on the question of that speed, then please do not respond. I do not care to know your opinions about YouTube or any other sites like it. I will NO LONFER address your responses on YouTube or any other sites like it, as I am sure your's are different then mine amd will remain as such, and we will not agree to YouTube being a viable resource for learning magic legitimately, so all we can do is agree to disagree about the use of YouTube and other sites like it. So with that being said, please stay on topic, the question about the speed of your snap when doing the snap change for the very first time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Snap Change Question? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL