The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » California (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I was born in California. I also like visiting California. I just got married in Californa. Now my new wife also likes California. A lot.

We've spent the last three days fantasizing about moving to California.

The problem is that the more we talk about it, the more we want to do it. But giving up a tenured position to run off to California is a bit...well...crazy. In the academic world you go where the jobs are. You don't just pick up and move and then drop by the local university and offer your services.

In fact I'd probably be giving up my whole career.

So what could I do?

I have a PhD and twenty-four years teaching experience, and I'm 51-years-old, and I'm fluent in German. What can I do with that? What do people in the real world do to earn their pay?

Any ideas? What do people do in California? What could I myself do in California?

Oh well. I guess I got that off my chest. Thanks for listening.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Congratulations on the marriage Stone. As to California, what does the new Ms. Stoneunhinged do?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
California, they are looking fire eaters.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Landmark, Mrs Unhinged is a talented bread baker.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
First if all, congratulations on the marriage.

What's your area of expertise? What do you teach?

More importantly, what do you want to do?

I'm about your age and also have a PhD. I got it as a personal goal, not because I wanted to be a tenured professor. I've been in military, but mainly private sector most of my career. I've worked in training departments, run quality programs, and currently am with mid-sized consulting firm. I've seen having PhD to be a blessing and a curse in private sector. Many times folks think you're over qualified, or just looking for donethingnunt you can become a professor. But it can also open a lot of doors, because they figure if you're smart enough, and tenacious enough, to have earned a doctorate, you must be a good worker.

If you'd like, feel free to PM me. My company is pretty unique in that we work with a variety of other companies and we love to connect people...were constantly posting their openings. We've offices in the bay and SoCal. In fact the client I'm currently working with is huge and has HQ in California. I could at least help your networking.

As I'm sure you know , private sector is greatly different than academia...but can be a lot if fun and just as rewarding.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
California - a great place to go through your savings and wait in traffic. What part of Cali are you interested in?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:

But giving up a tenured position to run off to California is a bit...well...crazy. In the academic world you go where the jobs are. You don't just pick up and move and then drop by the local university and offer your services.

In fact I'd probably be giving up my whole career.

So what could I do?

I have a PhD and twenty-four years teaching experience, and I'm 51-years-old, and I'm fluent in German. What can I do with that? What do people in the real world do to earn their pay?

Any ideas? What do people do in California? What could I myself do in California?

Just some thoughts:

Stay where you are, spend the next academic year applying for jobs in California. Maybe you get lucky.

How good is your institution's retirement plan? Are you close to a decent early retirement package?

Is there some age before which you would be foolish to retire (because of a severe age-service related penalty)?

Do you get sabbaticals? Plan for your next one in California and see if that allows you the opportunity to find something longer term there.

Some academic institutions offer leaves of absence / career drop out leaves (separate from sabbaticals). Do you have that option?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
And health care. Don't forget health care.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

So what could I do?

I hear firefighting is a growth industry in California. Smile

Also, when I was in Isla Vista / Santa Barbara this summer I got to talking with one of my taxi drivers. He makes enough to live comfortably in the area, and he owns a place in Hawaii that he gets away to several times a year. Mind you, IIRC he has been driving a cab in Santa Barbara since the early 90s and he bought his home in California while property values in his area were still 'reasonable'.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Stoney smoking sheesha is legal here so you got that going for ya'.
The first thing I believe is to decide what part of Cali, then which
city?

I have been all over Cali and I'm certain many others here have as well.
Once you narrow it down, we can go from there. Yes it's expensive but
one can also find great wealth here my friend, PhD or not.

I moved here a few years ago after having left in 1987. I longed to return
for various reasons, mostly the outdoor lifestyle and scuba diving. I have
not, a single regret except for the fires as mentioned, stolen bike and a
few traffic tickets.

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:

Open up a bakery that caters to German speaking people. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

If I recall correctly, it's illegal to live in California and not be a bread baker. Kind of like that mandatory gun thing they've got in some Georgia county. So that's one thing working in your favor already.

But expect to ixnay the pension, the healthcare, the maternity leave, and intelligent political discussion (present company excluded of course...).

On the other hand, Chocolate Covered Bacon.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I say forget the whole thing and move to NYC.

All kidding aside Balducci's advice was spot on. No need to burn bridges. Explore, evaluate, think, decide and then act.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Stoney: you're lucky: there were petitions about trying to get an initiative on the ballot to chop California into six Californias; that would have made your decision all the more difficult.

Fortunately, the backers didn't get enough signatures to qualify for the ballot.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
What do people do in California?

Teach, ride horses, that sort of thing.

Quote:
What could I myself do in California?

Teach, ride horses, that sort of thing.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
To answer some of the questions:

What do I teach? English. But I don't know Spanish.

My degrees are in political philosophy.

Where in Cali? Sebastopol.

But I'd settle on any place between Santa Rosa and San Diego.

This fantasy pretty much died during dinner last night. My son and my three step-children pretty much make staying in Germany a necessity.

The health care and my pension kinda help me to keep perspective, too.

Thanks for the congratulations on my new marriage.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Maybe the older we get the harder it is to follow our dreams... plus we end up with more responsibilities. Sounds like your responsibilities are also some of your greatest blessings. Got to do what you got to do just don't forget to count your blessings, seems you've got several!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yay, 'cuz we don't need another outsider coming here calling it Cali!

You live in Germ, right?

No Frisco, No Cali! Hey, that sounds like a song.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Actually, that was the first time I ever called it Cali in my life. I was just following Devious's lead.

I usually call it Kalifornien.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » California (38 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL