The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is cups and balls a good closer? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I'm curious what you all think of using cups and balls as the closing routine for a magic show. Do you think it's strong enough?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1688 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Whenever I've done the cups and balls, I've used it as a closer. There are, however, different opinions about this (Bill Palmer, for instance).
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The last few thousand years of magical history just might tend to tell you that the answer to your question is YES!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
It's easy to find out... Perform the cups and balls with a good final load sequence and then do something else to finish... See what they talk about Smile

Bri

Smile
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Cupsandballsmagic,

Have you tried this? If so, what did they talk about?

I have a good final load sequence, John Mendoza's routine.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Caféinst, it's better to experience things yourself. Consider what YOU think is a stronger closer and split test....
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It works well for me. If you've warmed everyone up, and it would be pretty tragic otherwise, then I cannot think of a better trick with which to close.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
It is the BEST closer for close-up.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I agree that it's the best closer for close-up. But what about parlor or stage?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1686 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
If it is an engaging routine and can be seen by all there should be no reason not to close with it on stage. That said, Levent claims to get a standing ovation from his linking rings, so if he closed with cups and balls it would anticlimactic.

Try it out. Just make sure you end strong.

Patrick
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I have not closed with it in Parlour and Stage but I use it in both settings. It is very commercial, easy to see and understand and the loads always kill. Having people on either side of you in these settings (even stage) makes it play even stronger.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Cups & Balls is a tool.
How are you going to use it?
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
646 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I wonder....does anyone remember how many times the Professor closed with the cups and balls?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1688 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think the most accurate account is 1,036.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Closer, opener, middler...works anyplace you put it, IF you have a good, interesting, short and to the point (for today's audience), and magical (hardest thing to do) routine.

If you have a good, stunning routine for it and it suits your personality and performing style then you can rock it as your closer. The Cups and Balls can be as boring as watching paint dry. You'll have to test your routine on some real audiences.

As others have said above, try it as your closer. It has almost become a cliche' as a closer for street magicians (especially those who copy Gazzo). The reason I think is that it can end the show with a "POW".

I'd be interested in hearing how your Cups routine did for you as your closer. Test it against another strong routine from your repertory. The testing should prove fun for you.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm not sure exactly where I said the cups and balls wasn't a good closer.

I have closed hundreds of shows with it. Gazzo closes with it. I know there are lots of other magicians who close with it, as well.

This said, I have closed THOUSANDS of shows with the newspaper tear. For large audiences, I get a lot bigger response with the newspaper. But that doesn't mean that the cups and balls isn't a good closer.

Maybe the question is this -- are you a good enough magician to close your show with the cups and balls?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1688 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Bill, I think what you said was in response to a suggestion I made that the cups and balls needs to be a closer as it is so strong that nothing can successfully follow it. You disagreed with this, which, I agree, is not the same as saying it is not a good closer.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The C&Bs is generally the longest trick in many magicians' acts. This aspect is probably the reason for it to be a closer in many instances : it's almost an act in itself and, as such, a good climax to any show. (Now I never performed as a street magician).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1688 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I believe it is used as a closer because of the power of the effect of the final loads. Hard to top.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I have used it to close my show for years. Stage and close up.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Is cups and balls a good closer? (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL