We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Philip R. Willmarth (1931 - 2014) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
We are saddened to report the passing of I.B.M. Ring #199 Member and I.B.M. Past International President Philip Reed Willmarth

August 19, 1931 - September 16, 2014

Philip "Phil" Reed Willmarth passed peacefully at home surrounded by family.

Phil was born in New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1931. He began his path through the art of magic in 1940 from his father's gift of a Will Lindhorst book. He owned a successful marketing research company and performed as a semi-pro magician since 1959. His specialties included rope and impromptu magic.

He toured as a magic lecturer and master of ceremonies. He served as the Assistant Editor of the The Linking Ring magazine from 1979-1992 and as Executive Editor from 1992-2007. He proudly served the International Brotherhood of Magicians as International President from 2007 to 2008.

Phil was a member of the Fechter's Finger Flicking Frolic Board of Directors, the by-invitation-only close-up convention and was the conventions featured Guest of Honor in 1988.

He was a 35-year-plus member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians, the Society of American Magicians, and the Magic Circle (MIMC with Gold Star).

He was awarded the prestigious Literary Fellowship Award by the Academy of Magical Arts in 2007.

He wrote a number of popular books on magic including The Magic of Matt Schulien (1959), Fun with a Handkerchief (1969), The Ring and Rope Book (1975), Jim Ryan Close-Up (4 vols, 1980-81), and Trevor Lewis ESOLC (1981), The Knot Collector (1989), and The Impostress Princess Expanded (2011).

His four booklets on the magic of Jim Ryan helped preserve Jim Ryan's contribution to our art. Phil has worked with many of magic's top creators and thinkers including editing and published the first four books of Eugene Burger as well as editing "Great Tricks Revisited"by Robert Parrish, Trevor Lewis' Routines Matter (2009), and Kopdell's Three Card Trick (1988).

His magic, mentoring, friendship, and cheerful support of the magic arts and our Ring will be missed.

The magic that infused itself into the life of performing on this earth is now broken and joined with the magic of the eternal.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Philip and I go back to 1968. I was touring Illinois, and he caught my school show when I worked a school near his home. He insisted that I be his house guest that night. His lovely wife was the perfect hostess, and he, the perfect host.

I shall miss him very much. Requiescat in Pace, Phil!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dear Phil,
How many times you went out your way to be nice to me and make an effort to talk with me. From Abbott's to FFFF to the IBM, we managed to share many good times together.
I will cherish the time we spent and shared.
My thoughts and prayers are with Robbie and your family.
As you said, you never wanted anyone to really know how serious your condition was as you had lived a good and full live. Rest in Peace dear friend. Let us know if Heaven runs on Jay Marshall time.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dakota Rose
View Profile
New user
Dakota Rose
100 Posts

Profile of Dakota Rose
Thank you for believing in me, Mr. Willmarth. Not only my magic but also my writing. Your guidance helped guide my wings. My prayers are with you and your family. Dakota Rose
Dream things that never were and say, "Why not."

Junior Editor Linking Ring - Youth Forum

www.dakotarosemagic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
A note from Robbie says that Phil's service will be:
Friday, September 26th at 1pm
Chapel of the Cross
304 E Franklin St.
Chapel Hill, NC

She requests instead of flowers to donate in Phil's name... her charity will be announced on Wed in the obituary.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Richard:
Whenever you'd see Phil, you'd say, "Good seeing you." And he'd invariably reply, "It's good being seen."

Phil was one of the most encouraging souls I met at my first 4F. He loved good magic, and the people who practiced it. As I've noted elsewhere, we've seen an infusion of really great younger magicians. But it's alway tough losing guys like Phil, who really gave so much to our art and its success,
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1425 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
R.I.P. Phil. You will be missed.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
R.I.P. Phil
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Phil was the great encourager to all he met. He is indeed a lost for the world of magic. RIP
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Philip R. Willmarth (1931 - 2014) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL