The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From CBC.

Quote:
The world-famous Miramichi River is experiencing a salmon decline that "is among the worst in recorded history." New numbers released by the Miramichi Salmon Association and the Atlantic Salmon Federation put the number of salmon returning to the river this year at about 12,000, despite near perfect angling conditions. That number is about half of the 23,000 that returned to the river to spawn from 2011 through 2013.

"These are frightening numbers," said David Wilson, chairman of the Miramichi Salmon Association.

In the first decade of this century, about 53,000 salmon returned to the river annually. The average number of salmon returns in the 1990s was about 82,000.

It is estimated that 20 to 25 per cent of all Atlantic salmon returning to North American rivers to spawn each year return to the Miramichi.

Mark Hambrook, the president of the MSA, calls it "a crisis."

"This year has been a dismal year for salmon returns to the Miramichi and basically throughout all of Atlantic Canada," said Hambrook. "And it seems that the further south the river, the worse the runs are.

"The Miramichi is not going to meet its spawning requirements this year, so we're in a bit of a crisis," he said. "Pools that will normally have 300, 400 fish in it, now have 50 or 60."

The salmon groups say many wild salmon runs throughout Quebec and Atlantic Canada are experiencing the same "serious situation."

At the annual MSA dinner in Fredericton on Tuesday, the salmon groups made a public plea for Prime Minister Stephen Harper to appoint a multi-disciplinary task force to create a wild Atlantic salmon action plan.

Atlantic Salmon Federation president Bill Taylor stressed there are immediate actions that should be taken.

"Some people will argue that the matter need further study or that there are issues at play that are beyond our control such as poor sea survival and climate change," said Taylor. "While that may be true, there is ample evidence and data currently available upon which a strong and effective action plan can be based."

Taylor said the downturn in salmon numbers threatens the $40-million value of the recreational salmon fishery to the New Brunswick economy.

Fishing camp owner Debbie Norton is among those who wants action from government.

"We want a comprehensive management plan and stop being the little Dutch boy trying to plug the hole in the dike with one finger at a time."
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sad news indeed. I'm currently enjoying the annual coho run here on the Kitimat River in B.C.
Coho numbers are good but Oolichan numbers are way down in the Douglas Channel.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I guess Slim won't be able to take his kids salmon fishing now. All because of Gore's lies. or was that Gore's fly's?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
I bless Salmon lakes for a small fee.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, tommy wrote:
I bless Salmon lakes for a small fee.


These are from the Atlantic, spawning in a river. Does that cost more?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
I guess Slim won't be able to take his kids salmon fishing now. All because of Gore's lies. or was that Gore's fly's?

Flies.

Sheesh!
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Sorry, not a fisherman. My father never taught me because he was so absorbed in Gore's lies.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I fished salmon for 6 weeks a year from the time I was 10 until I turned 18 and moved away from the area. I can pretty much say that in that period of time I caught more salmon than anyone on this thread unless you are a commercial fisherman. My family still fishes the west coast and although it is not as good as it was in the 60's, the salmon are far from extinct, and my son will have the fun and excitement of catching a 20 pounder as soon as he is old enough. Most people in the Northwest say Gore is a LIAR... and of course ... we all know that is true.
I've never fished the east coast. I'm not sure why they have such issues. Perhaps not enough hatcheries or horrible government and EPA oversight.
Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
I guess Slim won't be able to take his kids salmon fishing now. All because of Gore's lies. or was that Gore's fly's?

Flies.

Sheesh!

Glad you took the PLEDGE ...ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


BTW ... Record numbers of salmon returning this year!!!!!

LISTEN UP ...RECORD NUMBERS RETURNING THIS YEAR!!!!!

http://boisestatepublicradio.org/post/re......ia-river

http://russgeorge.net/2014/07/10/salmon-......a-river/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/salmon-numbe......in-lake/

http://www.fpc.org/adultsalmon/adultquer......2014.asp

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/in......ect.html

They say it is better than 1938!!!!!! HUGE!!!!

I LOVE FACTS!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
More FACTS ... Record Numbers AGAIN!!!!
http://www.petaluma360.com/news/2312945-......n-return

Ecstatic!!!!
http://www.critfc.org/press/record-numbe......r-basin/

So many no new restrictions... Great News!!!! Despite California drought....
http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/20......0825.php

And of course several months ago the Canadian Biologists still spewing doom and gloom .. Now proven 100% WRONG!!!
http://www.adn.com/article/20140615/desp......ump-over
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:


And of course several months ago the Canadian Biologists still spewing doom and gloom .. Now proven 100% WRONG!!!
http://www.adn.com/article/20140615/desp......ump-over

Did you actually read this article? Even the headline?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:


And of course several months ago the Canadian Biologists still spewing doom and gloom .. Now proven 100% WRONG!!!
http://www.adn.com/article/20140615/desp......ump-over

Did you actually read this article? Even the headline?

Yes ... Exactly my point ... The article was written in JUNE ... saying how not to get optimistic and we should not have any good feelings about it .. WARM FUZZY were the exact words .. Now Three Months Later... The facts REMAIN ... RECORD NUMBERS of Salmon ...
This shows just how deceitful these liberals are. Even when things are going gangbusters they still twist and turn the facts ... But they are BUSTED now ...
Just like this thread ... One river in Canada having trouble, while the entire west coast is setting records!!!!!
A total misrepresentation of the facts!!!!
And HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!!
http://russgeorge.net/2014/08/18/record-......n-flood/
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:


And of course several months ago the Canadian Biologists still spewing doom and gloom .. Now proven 100% WRONG!!!
http://www.adn.com/article/20140615/desp......ump-over

Did you actually read this article? Even the headline?

Yes ... Exactly my point ... The article was written in JUNE ... saying how not to get optimistic and we should not have any good feelings about it .. WARM FUZZY were the exact words .. Now Three Months Later... The facts REMAIN ... RECORD NUMBERS of Salmon ...
This shows just how deceitful these liberals are. Even when things are going gangbusters they still twist and turn the facts ... But they are BUSTED now ...
Just like this thread ... One river in Canada having trouble, while the entire west coast is setting records!!!!!
A total misrepresentation of the facts!!!!
And HERE ARE THE FACTS!!!!
http://russgeorge.net/2014/08/18/record-......n-flood/


The "one river in Canada" is spawning ground for Atlantic salmon. Pacific runs are irrelevant to that story.

But even the Pacific stories are not as good as you'd like to pretend. Your "entire West coast" claim is hot air. Even the articles you cite disagree with that assessment.

Me, I'd love to see the fish recover. And I am encouraged that "liberal" governments are putting large resources into studying the current status and taking steps to ameliorate the damage. That is very good news.

You claim to love facts, Slim. But you really only seem to like facts and opinions that agree with your political commitments.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea he is the only one here guilty of that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Glad to hear your confession, Danny.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sure explain to me in what way that was a confession John.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Danny. Speak to the topic. You are once again attacking me with no reference to anything I have said or done. Why are you stalking me?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Gee, it seemed like he was responding to the post that was directed at him directly above his post. Or were you speaking to some other Danny?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Gee, it seemed like he was responding to the post that was directed at him directly above his post. Or were you speaking to some other Danny?


Who is he?

Slim responded to the issue of salmon spawning. I responded to Slim. Danny made a crack that I interpreted as being to the post directly above it. Given that he has been making similar cheap shots at me for weeks, I figured that's what he'd done again.

Perhaps Danny can clarify and explain why he didn't talk about salmon, but did take a shot at someone--whomever it was.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That sucks when all the fish die off before people can kill them. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL