The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21004 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely and they are amazing as well. Alligator is great too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Salmom fishing over here I think goes on more in Scotland than England. Scotland, it is more like Canada.

http://www.salmon-fishing-scotland.com/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Absolutely and they are amazing as well. Alligator is great too.

Yes! I had alligator and it was quite good.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm concerned about the decline in Oolichan numbers. The Haisla nation has subsisted almost exclusively on the oolichan for centuries.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, magicfish wrote:
I'm concerned about the decline in Oolichan numbers. The Haisla nation has subsisted almost exclusively on the oolichan for centuries.

Perhaps collaborating with the west coast hatcheries would help?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Waddaya mean slim?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Waddaya mean slim?

I grew up here...

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc15503.php
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Liberals now saying all Salmon will be gone amid record salmon Runs...
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/meghan-mccain......-to-get/
Will the insanity never end! Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Now they are sending me pictures of the greatest salmon run in decades!!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How many times are you going to repeat an irrelevant point? The study in the OP refers to Atlantic salmon in Canada and Quebec. You've said absolutely NOTHING to refute that finding.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
My wife ate TWO salmon sandwiches this week!!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, landmark wrote:
My wife ate TWO salmon sandwiches this week!!!


That's PARANORMAL!!!! Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

How many times are you going to repeat an irrelevant point? The study in the OP refers to Atlantic salmon in Canada and Quebec. You've said absolutely NOTHING to refute that finding.



Bob, It's all he's got. He has to cherry pick his data to keep his limited world view viable. Just wait until he finds out the the Pacific Northwest's increased salmon runs are due in part to global warming. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1......4.889747

Plus, it's an even year and even year runs are traditionally larger than odd years. But him being a native Washingtonian and an expert in all things I suspect he already knew that Smile

Now step away from that computer and pick up a hammer. We've got houses to build so we can save the economy!
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21004 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously even year runs differ? That is cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Some are on a 4-year cycle as well. But even notwithstanding that, some of the Pacific runs look very good this year. I have not been able to find any analysis of the overall numbers for the whole coast.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance to witness a major run, it is one of the greatest experiences a human can have. My first experience was seeing the sockeye spawning in the Adams River in British Columbia when I was about 10 years old. It still sits with me as one of the deepest and most magnificent experiences of my life.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Some are on a 4-year cycle as well. But even notwithstanding that, some of the Pacific runs look very good this year. I have not been able to find any analysis of the overall numbers for the whole coast.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance to witness a major run, it is one of the greatest experiences a human can have. My first experience was seeing the sockeye spawning in the Adams River in British Columbia when I was about 10 years old. It still sits with me as one of the deepest and most magnificent experiences of my life.




Of course too there is the downside of a large run. After they spawn the rivers are full of dead, bright red salmon carcasses.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21004 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have seen one. Amazing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Some are on a 4-year cycle as well. But even notwithstanding that, some of the Pacific runs look very good this year. I have not been able to find any analysis of the overall numbers for the whole coast.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance to witness a major run, it is one of the greatest experiences a human can have. My first experience was seeing the sockeye spawning in the Adams River in British Columbia when I was about 10 years old. It still sits with me as one of the deepest and most magnificent experiences of my life.




Of course too there is the downside of a large run. After they spawn the rivers are full of dead, bright red salmon carcasses.


Short term stink for long-term healthy ecosystem Smile Was talking to a friend who grew up on a farm near a major salmon run, and he still remembers the stench. Tourists miss that part.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Some are on a 4-year cycle as well. But even notwithstanding that, some of the Pacific runs look very good this year. I have not been able to find any analysis of the overall numbers for the whole coast.

As an aside, if you ever get a chance to witness a major run, it is one of the greatest experiences a human can have. My first experience was seeing the sockeye spawning in the Adams River in British Columbia when I was about 10 years old. It still sits with me as one of the deepest and most magnificent experiences of my life.


I would love to experience that some day. Is it hit or miss or can you schedule a vacation to hit it right on? (As you can see, I know nothing of the subject!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL