The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
As far as I can tell, you can book your vacation around the spawn. Sometimes the run is weaker than expected, but the big years are the big years with great regularity. I know for sure that Alaska and British Columbia put a lot of effort into attracting tourists for the runs. I suspect Washington does too.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

How many times are you going to repeat an irrelevant point? The study in the OP refers to Atlantic salmon in Canada and Quebec. You've said absolutely NOTHING to refute that finding.

Bob, It's all he's got. He has to cherry pick his data to keep his limited world view viable. Just wait until he finds out the the Pacific Northwest's increased salmon runs are due in part to global warming. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1......4.889747

Plus, it's an even year and even year runs are traditionally larger than odd years. But him being a native Washingtonian and an expert in all things I suspect he already knew that Smile

Now step away from that computer and pick up a hammer. We've got houses to build so we can save the economy!

Well, he doesn't have to cherry-pick too much, since, as has been noted, the OP doesn't suggest that the decline is due to climate change.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The article in the OP doesn't speculate on the reason, true. But is clearly shows evidence that the Canadian Atlantic salmon are, in fact, in a steep decline. That's what Slim isn't addressing at all. Instead he's just cherry picking data that has NOTHING to do with Atlantic salmon.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Yes, but surely the "limited world view" Payne is alluding to doesn't pertain salmon populations per se.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

What I think Payne is accurately pointing out is that conditions we may be personally familiar with aren't necessarily universal.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
What I think Payne is accurately pointing out is that conditions we may be personally familiar with aren't necessarily universal.

Which is why it is so important to broaden one's perspective by watching Fox News, listening to Rush Limbaugh and reading nutty, right-wing conspiracy websites.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I tried that once, Randwill, but it took three months of extensive therapy to get my IQ back into the three digit range. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Why do that when you can objective, accurate information from MSNBC and the major networks? Smile

Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Why do that when you can objective, accurate information from MSNBC and the major networks? Smile

I believe that the major networks are more serious about practicing the classic form of journalism. Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and their ilk are providing a product to a specific audience, conservatives who have made up their minds based on innate prejudices and very little factual information and just want to hear someone in a suit on the teevee agree with them. This is a large group with money to spend and creating programming for them is a very shrewd and profitable endeavor. It shouldn't be confused with or compared to actual news reporting.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The fact is that you can get MUCH more accurate news from the mainstream networks. Additionally, they routinely will make on air corrections when mistakes are made. Never heard of such a thing with the right wing outlets.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
How do you know?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The fact that you in large part agree with the agenda does not enter into the opinion does it?

While I agree Rush is not a news source and is 100% spin to get ratings in many ways so is much of the mainstream media. Hard to argue though you guys do. I think it is not dishonesty on your part but a matter of perception. We all like to think of ourselves as the center or the norm. So a news source with a point of view we share must be similarly central and normal. Our perception is skewed by our belief in our own views as normal.

To be fair though you guys hold some serious animosity as soon as competition reared its ugly head and suddenly overnight the mainstream media was exposed for what it was.

I am not in any way defending Fox or Rush.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
The fact is that you can get MUCH more accurate news from the mainstream networks. Additionally, they routinely will make on air corrections when mistakes are made. Never heard of such a thing with the right wing outlets.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pscalq-5c

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 3, 2014, Randwill wrote:
Quote:

I believe that the major networks are more serious about practicing the classic form of journalism. Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and their ilk are providing a product to a specific audience, conservatives who have made up their minds based on innate prejudices and very little factual information and just want to hear someone in a suit on the teevee agree with them. This is a large group with money to spend and creating programming for them is a very shrewd and profitable endeavor. It shouldn't be confused with or compared to actual news reporting.

ANDY ROONEY: ...this has been happening for a long time now, Larry. The fact of the matter is that a great change took place about 15 or 20 years ago when the emphasis changed from being on news to money. I mean, the oldest -- the three network news and all the other news broadcasts are now trying to find out what people want. And they are giving them that instead of finding out what people ought to know and giving them that. They are giving them what they want to hear, and that is wrong.
LARRY KING: What did you make of Bernard Goldberg's book, critical of television liberal bias, and especially harsh on some of your folks at CBS?
ROONEY: I thought he made some very good points. There is just no question that I, among others, have a liberal bias. I mean, I'm consistently liberal in my opinions. And I think some of the -- I think Dan [Rather] is transparently liberal. Now, he may not like to hear me say that. I always agree with him, too. But I think he should be more careful.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0207/28/lklw.00.html

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
How many times are you going to repeat an irrelevant point? The study in the OP refers to Atlantic salmon in Canada and Quebec. You've said absolutely NOTHING to refute that finding.

Sorry BOB ... read the HEADLINE!!!!
That's the liberal way... Give a headline that is so misleading that others think it is the truth!!!
There is NO SALMON DECLINE ... There are more salmon than ever ...record numbers!!! But liberals point to ONE RIVER as if it is the entire salmon population ... As a person who deludes others for a living .. this should be obvious for you!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
Quote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pscalq-5c

Good for O'Reilly, but in the clip, he concedes that him making a correction is a rare thing. And I assure you that's not because he is rarely wrong.

Edited to add: I don't really believe that Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, ect. are as stupid as they come across on the air. I think they are pretending to be ignorant to appeal to their core audience. If they were as dumb as their television and radio characters, they wouldn't be able to find their way to the studio. Well, maybe Hannity has a driver.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I spend a fair amount of time watching and listening to conservative stations/shows, and a fair amount of time watching/listening to liberal ones. I don't notice a marked difference between the number of corrections I hear on either. The percentage of liberal clowns who come across as buffoon preaching to their respective choirs is pretty consistent with the percentage of conservative ones, too.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

Quebec is in Canada.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Quebec is in Canada.

But only barely Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20983 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't they keep trying to change that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Salmon decline (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL