The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarbell 3: Sleight of Hand with Coins (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
I guess I am the first to post about it.
Just got in the penguinmagic site, like a do almost everyday, and I saw this.
Seens like a new 'serie' from penguin.
Very excited!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4653
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Plus you can get volume 1 & 2 free!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4652
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
Yes, thanks!
Forgot to mention that!!

I am already watching Smile
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Just downloaded 1&2 to sample. This is a great idea but with Tarbell being 60 lessons+ this will cost upwards of $300 by the end. What did you guys think?
There is no holy grail!
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Just downloaded 1&2 to sample. This is a great idea but with Tarbell being 60 lessons+ this will cost upwards of $300 by the end. What did you guys think?

that's what I was thinking, great idea but at $10 a pop if you miss the intro discount, that's gonna add up......Once its all done it will be out on a multi dvd disc set for a fraction of this cost.
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, dman11 wrote:
Quote:

that's what I was thinking, great idea but at $10 a pop if you miss the intro discount, that's gonna add up......Once its all done it will be out on a multi dvd disc set for a fraction of this cost.

How do you know there will be a DVD?
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Why don't people just buy the Tannen/Robbins hardbound set? They are readily available and you don't need to buy a eight volumes at once. Tarbell's illustrations - (he illustrated Greater Magic as well) - and his writing is crystal clear. I'm sorry but these videos are a waste of money. Plus, will his essays be included? What about the BIG extra in volume seven, that being the comprehensive index of the first seven volumes by Harry Lorayne - who also wrote volume seven?

To each her/his own, but, the books are going to give you a LOT more bang for your buck whether it's the Tannen/Robbins expanded course or the original 60 lesson course.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, Sanderr wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, dman11 wrote:
Quote:

How do you know there will be a DVD?

I don't, just speculating
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Any reviews? Tempted by the Coolbox deal.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
Why don't people just buy the Tannen/Robbins hardbound set? They are readily available and you don't need to buy a eight volumes at once. Tarbell's illustrations - (he illustrated Greater Magic as well) - and his writing is crystal clear. I'm sorry but these videos are a waste of money. Plus, will his essays be included? What about the BIG extra in volume seven, that being the comprehensive index of the first seven volumes by Harry Lorayne - who also wrote volume seven?

To each her/his own, but, the books are going to give you a LOT more bang for your buck whether it's the Tannen/Robbins expanded course or the original 60 lesson course.

Hey Vlad, I bet Dan would be the first to admit that the books kick ass--both the descriptions and the pictures. Nobody is trying to take away from that, only add. And for a lot of people, learning by video is just easier. I know it is for me. I grew up on Ammar tapes, and I did go through some books (Hollingworth, Tamariz) that were WONDERFUL....but even those great writers (Hollingworth and Tamariz) taught their stuff on video, too. Doesn't mean the books weren't good.

So that's just what we're doing here. And, in the case of Tarbell, clearly impossible to go to the original creators to film everything. (Though maybe we can get Copperfield to teach the Mento Pen...) And as for the price, yes, it will add up, but seriously, Penguin has been working on this forever and putting a ton of effort into it, and compared to so many other downloads from so many companies, I do think you'll get your money's wroth with this one.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Dan Harlan is an excellent creator, teacher and presenter.
While I have 'paper' Tarbell and no real desire or need for these downloads, I suspect that they will make an excellent investment for a new magician, or a useful 'dip in' resource for those who want certain elements of this.

As for value, the TA box set was around $300 wasn't it? One trick DVDs are often around $30?
Surely if a magician gets good practical material and sound (up to date) advice, then this could be a good investment.

Just my opinion, as I am pleased to see a classic brought alive and made accessible to new generations who may generally not be as willing to pick up an old classic book.

I look forward to the reviews.
Charlie

PS I have just put my money where my mouth is and picked up lesson 3, just out of curiosity ($5 barely buys a coffee & donut in London). I'll watch it over the next few days.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Vlad--
I'm a bit surprised you don't see the value here. I am not merely re-hashing the existing material, but I am modernizing it. I personally guarantee that you'll love what I have done to bring these books to life. In fact, everyone working on this project is dedicated to making it the best it can possibly be. It is beautifully filmed and edited; my teaching is clear, concise, and comprehensive; there are corrections, improvements, and brand new presentations; I even teach how to make all the props; and (beginning with Lesson 4) you'll see every piece of magic performed before a live audience of non-magicians (with a few of our dedicated local magicians, too!).

I feel it is critical that this material be updated to be relevant in content and delivery, and I feel I'm the right guy to do it. If you'd like to know why, please treat yourself to the free lessons (1&2). Just know, I am not trying to replace the books, merely expand them to make use of modern teaching methods. I know that the results will speak for themselves... and I am thrilled with what I, and my team, have created.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Dan is there an approximate release pacing of each volume or are you unsure ?
dan the man
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of dan the man
On penguin it's mentioned every friday at noon!
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
Thanks Rick Lax and Dan Harlan for commenting Smile

I agree with both of you,
As Rick Lax grew up in Ammar tapes, I did in Dan Harlan tapes, and I can say this Dan Harlan is my favorite magicians, it has always been.
Not only that, he is not only filming the material he is modernizing it( I can't wait for the trick showed in the trailer with the headphones), anyway.
If you think like 5 times 60, looks like a lot of money, but in one year or more, because one episode a week we will have more than 1 year of this project.
Maybe penguin could do some special price like the ALL PASS PENGUIN LIVE. You buy a month, I don't know just an idea.
Anyway I loved the idea and no one better than Dan to make it happen.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, DanHarlan wrote:
Vlad--
I'm a bit surprised you don't see the value here. I am not merely re-hashing the existing material, but I am modernizing it. I personally guarantee that you'll love what I have done to bring these books to life. In fact, everyone working on this project is dedicated to making it the best it can possibly be. It is beautifully filmed and edited; my teaching is clear, concise, and comprehensive; there are corrections, improvements, and brand new presentations; I even teach how to make all the props; and (beginning with Lesson 4) you'll see every piece of magic performed before a live audience of non-magicians (with a few of our dedicated local magicians, too!).

I feel it is critical that this material be updated to be relevant in content and delivery, and I feel I'm the right guy to do it. If you'd like to know why, please treat yourself to the free lessons (1&2). Just know, I am not trying to replace the books, merely expand them to make use of modern teaching methods. I know that the results will speak for themselves... and I am thrilled with what I, and my team, have created.
--Dan Harlan

Hi Dan,

I have the utmost respect for your work and my post was not in any way meant as a jab at you. Far from it. Your thinking and presentational chops make you one of the best. My commentary really has more to do with the seeming devaluation of books as an education medium and perhaps I need to clarify. My Master's is in educational technology and I have no problems whatsoever with effective delivery of content such that it reaches all learners. We all learn in different ways and at different rates, and, if you have read any of Howard Gardner's material, then you know that he is responsible for the Theory of Multiple Intelligences and I am a huge fan of this great educator's work.

That said, what I am seeing is a rather skewed percentage of people claiming that learning from video or other media is easier and it seems to occur more in magic than other arts. (I teach music theory, piano, synthesis, and composition). Do I see the value in what you are doing? Absolutely! But, I believe firmly that learning occurs best when a multi-pronged approach is utilized. My worry is and always will be the preference or more accurately privileging of one medium over another when there is no proof that any one media on its own is most effect but rather a combination of media is most effective.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all media and I need not go into them here.

Now, having said all of that, I think that anyone encountering Tarbell is in very good hands with your instruction and I don't need to avail myself of the lessons. If you recall, I wrote a rather lengthy review of a A Little R&B and the bulk of that review praised your keen sense of structure and impact of effect as it relates to method.

Best always,
Vlad
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I think this is an epic project. Dan is perfect for it. Going to have to buy a special HD just for this.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There's a one-volume edition of the entire Tarbell course now available. Books and videos can complement each other.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I think if you have the books this is an excellent "study guide."

I downloaded and watched the first three lessons and like Dan's spin on things. It's really incredible that Dan has dedicated so much time to this text to be able to do this WELL and I think there may only be a few people able to do it in a well taught well.

Why limit yourself with only books or only video? (Note: I know this came up in convo but it's not directed towards anyone)
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarbell 3: Sleight of Hand with Coins (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL