The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicians who only do card tricks (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1176 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Bill Malone
Lakewood, Ohio
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6787 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
Does Darwin even perform for lay audiences?

His entire life, yes.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6787 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Eugene Burger. He does other stuff now, but he made his living with a deck of cards for many years.
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I would classify Ricky Jay as well. He has a mean Cups & Balls but almost everything he does is cards. And he is phenomenal at it.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
558 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
I think someone mentioned Bill Malone already. Not sure if he does all cards in his professional performances. I saw him live at the NY Auto Show and he not only had a huge, huge crowd around him but the guy just killed audiences, all with just a deck of cards. His incredible and gifted comedy coupled by his insane technical abilities with cards, he defintely gets my vote!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1275 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Jason Ladanye is another one. All I've ever seen him do is cards.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Rayman
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn
76 Posts

Profile of Rayman
Helder Guimarães, Derek DelGaudio, and Woody Aragon. All great, all cards.
MuscleMagic
View Profile
Special user
794 Posts

Profile of MuscleMagic
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, j100taylor wrote:
Bill Malone

he does hankercheif and coin stuff too

but most of it is cards
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8525 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Made my living with ONLY cards for years - a few decades ago.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
MVFAN
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of MVFAN
I think this guy would be considered a card guy and he can entertain for a couple of hours with a deck of cards. Tamariz
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Rene Lavand.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2014, Rainboguy wrote:
Rene Lavand.

Mr. Levand also uses knives, coins, balls, cups and breadcrumbs!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3255 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ricky Jay can certainly entertain an audience for a full length show with only cards.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
" Ricky Jay can certainly entertain an audience for a full length show with only cards."

To be fare: I saw both his one many shows and he used other props than cards. He did cups and balls. he did a magic square while singing sea shanties, he did necklace/gambling bit. None of his shows relied 100% on cards. His finale for 52 assistants was a cups and balls routine.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I would think it's much harder to entertain with only cards, since understanding card tricks requires a lot more thought on the part of the audience than with say coins or ropes or rings. Right?
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Tamariz does stuff other than cards (color-changing knives, slates, etc).
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Thanks for your answers everyone! Your answers convinced me that card magic has great potential, so I have started learning from the book "Royal Road to Card Magic", which I was told is the best place to start.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3255 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Study classics like Royal Road to Card Magic but also treat yourself to DVD's by Daryl, Michael Ammar and other more contemporary performers.

Years ago I only had books to learn from. There were tricks that worked and worked on and could never get them right (I thought). With the advent of youtube in some cases I was actually able to see vintage footage of some of the tricks and in some cases I thought "wow, I worked so hard on that and I don't actually like the way it looks".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6787 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Study classics like Royal Road to Card Magic but also treat yourself to DVD's by Daryl, Michael Ammar and other more contemporary performers.

Years ago I only had books to learn from. There were tricks that worked and worked on and could never get them right (I thought). With the advent of youtube in some cases I was actually able to see vintage footage of some of the tricks and in some cases I thought "wow, I worked so hard on that and I don't actually like the way it looks".

Ugh
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
When I first started getting into card magic, I went through a phase of buying and practicing all the usual packet tricks. Until one day at a magic convention, the late Irv Weiner came to our table, borrowed a deck of cards, and blew everyone away. That's when I decided I, too, wanted to be able to entertain people with anyone's deck of cards. So that's when I started taking sleight of hand card magic seriously.

Since then I've been privileged to see and be inspired by some amazing card handlers, including the above-mentioned Harry Lorayne, Lennart Green, Daryl, Richard Turner, Darwin Oriz, and the list goes on. And I can attest to the fact that you CAN entertain lay people with just a deck of cards. However, just to be on the safe side, I always include some other effects (coins, bills, napkins, balls).
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicians who only do card tricks (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL