We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicians who only do card tricks (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2015, MuscleMagic wrote:
congrats, very cool!

Can you share with us what one of the non card tricks are?

Sure. And thank you for the encouragement. I am having a blast!

* Non-card trick = Arm Twisting Illusion, all the spectators participate, helps determines which will be good volunteers on stage.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Non-card trick = Crazy Man's Handcuffs, with child volunteer, whom I handcuff with parents permission ;-)
* Non-card trick = Broken and restored elastic, as "explanation" for Crazy Man's
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Non-card trick = Recap, since I do lot of signing of cards. In ear is great for kids.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.
* Card trick.

Now that I have talked about it, it would be good to do another pen cap trick. I am thinking that Michael Close's insurance policy would be a good one, and would fit just before the finale.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2015, Stanyon wrote:
Martin Nash...did! I miss that guy.

JMHO

While Martin's act was almost always cards (always cards at the Castle for sure), he did do a lot of other close up magic that was non-cards. He showed me some cups and balls work that was beautiful and I recall messing around with some coin stuff as well.

And I'm with you there too - miss the heck out of that ol' guy.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
757 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, Chris Stolz wrote:
Quote:

JMHO

While Martin's act was almost always cards (always cards at the Castle for sure), he did do a lot of other close up magic that was non-cards. He showed me some cups and balls work that was beautiful and I recall messing around with some coin stuff as well.

I never met him but did find his lecture notes at a used book store once. Both Ovation and Jack's or Better are really neat effects. I especially like Ovation.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
Quote:

JMHO

Chris-

The same could be said about John Scarne. While most remember him for his card work, he did dabble in sleight of hand with other props...cups and balls, coins, etc.

Best!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, shaunluttin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

JMHO

I never met him but did find his lecture notes at a used book store once. Both Ovation and Jack's or Better are really neat effects. I especially like Ovation.

The first time I saw Ovation, I lost my ****.
vivekdesai
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of vivekdesai
I could watch ricky jay and lennart green's card work all day.
It's all in the presentation.
If your sleight of hand,patter and presentation is good enough then you could theoretically do a 45 min show just on ambitious card.
Of course,I don't have the skill required to really do that which is why I personally rotate between close up card magic and propless mentalism,when performing close up.
doopyloop
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of doopyloop
"If your sleight of hand,patter and presentation is good enough then you could theoretically do a 45 min show just on ambitious card."

Do you do magic shows? IF you do magic shows do you think is good plan to do same tricks for 45 minutes?

Hypnotisms yes same tricks for 45 minutes. Mindreadings yes same tricks for 45 minutes (like the "Qiuestion and Answer" act). Ambitious Card? Really you THINK this?

Yes presenting is important but why do many magicians say it si so important but nobody talks about the building of tricks? About the building of shows?

Presenting is not magic sauce to put on rotten steak.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I don't think he was being dead serious about exactly 45 minutes thing. I think he was just making the point that someone who has incredibly strong presentations could go for a very long time on one effect without boring his audience.

Ricky Jay does a fairly long cups and balls routine and could go 3 times as long without boring me. If you mix up the history, the cups, the plots etc. you could go for a pretty long time. Not that he WOULD, the point is he COULD. It's a comment about his persona and presentation, not about actually wanting to perform the same effect for 45 minutes.

Someone get doopyloop and cookie and a puppy to cheer him up?
doopyloop
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of doopyloop
I try to make points about this: "It's all in the presentation."

I knows many magician who take trick that is better in 3 minutes nad try to make trick 10 minutes. 45 minute may be obvious overtalking but some magicain REAL believe this. And I do not have to need puppy and cookie to cheer up nowI promise! Smile But when I seeing these magician ruin tricks with presenting I need big box of cookie and all dog pound please. Smile
balbec
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of balbec
Dominique Duvivier did this for years. Could do many other stuff, though
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
I know of a few magicians south of my area that only perform card tricks. They seem to be doing very well! I think they mostly do strolling shows.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magicians who only do card tricks (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL