The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Tale of Two Shootings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Another story they seem to miss is when a so called dreamer murders people because he is disrespected.

Oh no they have no agenda to push.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Edit: misread

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think the difference might be that the Brown case involves a shooting by a cop, whereas the Tevlin case is about a murder by a murderer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is certainly one difference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I think the difference might be that the Brown case involves a shooting by a cop, whereas the Tevlin case is about a murder by a murderer.

Some might think that a targeted murder committed by a self-professed Muslim jihadist on American soil specifically in retaliation to American military action in the Middle East is newsworthy.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
First of all, of course it is sad and upsetting about the murders. Having said that ...

Okay, so Ali Muhammad Brown (the killer of Brendan Tevlin) was convicted of bank fraud back in 2005, served time, was also a registered sex offender, and most recently he is believed to have shot and killed 4 people over a period of 6 months or so.

Is it really newsworthy (in the U.S., I mean) that someone like him has such ready access to guns? If it is, we already have a thread about how U.S. gun laws are too lax.

Now I suppose some people may get excited about the story because Brown claims to be Muslim and allegedly he said that one or more of his recent killings were protests against U.S. actions. Well, I will guess that most serial killers say they have a motive. Does it really matter what a crazy person says in a situation like this? IIRC, Son of Sam says he killed because a dog told him to. Some other serial killers kill because they hate women. Others because they hate homosexuals. And so on.

I think the most newsworthy bit is that the local police (according to some reports) were (inadvertently?) besmirching Tevlin's good name by suggesting that it was a 'targetted' killing, perhaps in order to keep the community calm. According to news reports, some people are upset because they took this to mean that Tevlin was involved in some sort of shady activity (specifically, a drugs buy). Some are also upset because they feel were 'misled' by the police, as they were told there was no danger even though the serial killer was (as it turns out) still hiding in their community.

But isn't that the same thing police normally do when a serial killer is on the loose? Tell the populace to stay calm, everything is under control, no one is under any danger. In my experience, from the news reports I have read about other serial killers, I think it is.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Smile

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
By the way, just in case it is not clear, my statements above about the police besmirching Tevlin's good name etc. is not necessarily my opinion. I was just stating what some people in the affected community were reported as saying.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Some might think that a targeted murder committed by a self-professed Muslim jihadist on American soil specifically in retaliation to American military action in the Middle East is newsworthy.

Some might. But on the other hand, the police believe that Tevlin's murder started out as a robbery and had nothing to do with an act of retaliation by a jihadist. The jihad rationale by Brown came later. The guy is a career criminal with numerous convictions as outlined by Balducci.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/su.......1911964

Quote:
Brown was linked to the New Jersey shooting after police identified the weapon used as the same one used in several Seattle killings.

Police in Seattle said Brown shot and killed 30-year-old Leroy Henderson in April on a state road outside of the city. Investigators said Brown had no relationship to his alleged victim and the crime was likely motivated by robbery, drugs or crime.

Brown also allegedly gunned down Ahmed Said and Dwone Anderson-Young in June after meeting them at a Seattle nightclub.

The alleged summer shooting spree is not the 29-year-old's first run in with police.

Brown was arrested in 2004 for his part in a massive Seattle bank fraud scheme, the New Jersey newspaper reported. Police originally thought the accused crime ring shipped stolen money overseas to terrorists, but that claim was never backed up with evidence.

I think what we're seeing is Tevlin's tragic murder being exploited by those who would like to stir up faux outrage in furtherance of a political agenda.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think what we're seeing is Tevlin's tragic murder being ignored by those who like to bury certain stories in furtherance of a political agenda.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Not really. Brown is just a typical criminal/murderer. The whole jihad thing, as evidenced by his past criminal record, is a load of crap. The only reason some on the right are feigning outrage over this is to minimize and draw attention away from the events in Ferguson now that the police version of events has become suspect.

Simple as that, really. And pretty transparent.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Whether or not former killings are robberies don't prove that this killing was a robbery. The only reason some on the left are ignoring this is to keep attention on the events in Ferguson.. Simple as that, really. And pretty transparent.

To people in the middle, this is a story. One that should have received SOME mention by any major news network.

R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
175 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Http://www.msnbc.com/search/Michael%20brown
803 stories found.

http://www.msnbc.com/search/Brendan%20Tevlin
0 stories found.

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/se......ch&ss=fn
84,492 stories found

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/search?q=tevlin
3 stories found

I wonder what agenda the "fair and balanced" news organization is pushing.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

OF COURSE it's a story. But there are robbery/murders every single day in this country. It's apples and oranges when you try to compare it to Ferguson where the national story is about a police officer shooting a black suspect who, according to most witnesses, had his hands up in surrender.

Unless, of course, you want to concede that is something that happens every single day as well.

But this is the typical "deflect and distract" tactic that has become SOP for the right wing. Two new witnesses, both white men who aren't residents of Ferguson, who were simply talking to each other about what they'd just seen, cast serious doubt on the police version of events. But, rather than discuss that, the response is "Oh yeah? What about this African American who shot and killed a white kid? So what if he has a long criminal record, including robbery, fraud, assault and child molestation. He now claims to be a jihadist, and that makes it national news just as much as a white cop killing an unarmed black suspect under color of law."

Why don't you yell "Benghazi!" while you're at it? Maybe that will get people to forget about Ferguson.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6107 Posts

Profile of RNK
Just like the MANY murders/shootings daily in the democratic run city of Chicago that occur and the news never reports because it would make the left look incompetent.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20872 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well lets not get silly about if Fox and MSNBC have political agendas. Clearly both do.

But when balducci says things about ready access to guns in the US we start to see what he problem is. What laws exactly do any gun control/regulation advocates thing would have stopped it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, RNK wrote:
Just like the MANY murders/shootings daily in the democratic run city of Chicago that occur and the news never reports because it would make the left look incompetent.

Come on, Bob. That's just another silly deflection. Everyone knows about Chicago's crime rate and we also know that red states are right up there at the top when it comes to crime statistics, too. (But if you want to look at a major Democratic city that has witnessed a dramatic drop in gun homicides, you need only look at New York City. And, over the years, it's been both Democrat and moderate Republican mayors who've had much to do with it.)

But here we go again- changing the conversation to avoid talking about the very real possibility that the shooting in Ferguson was unjustified and that race may well have been part of it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well lets not get silly about if Fox and MSNBC have political agendas. Clearly both do.

But when balducci says things about ready access to guns in the US we start to see what he problem is. What laws exactly do any gun control/regulation advocates thing would have stopped it?

That's the dilemma, isn't it? If, in fact there are NO laws that actually prevent crimes from occurring, then why have any laws at all? But, then again, history has shown that gun regulations, in fact, were an important element in the civilizing of the Old West.

Here's a photograph of Dodge City's Front Street in 1878:

RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6107 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, RNK wrote:

Come on, Bob. That's just another silly deflection. Everyone knows about Chicago's crime rate and we also know that red states are right up there at the top when it comes to crime statistics, too. (But if you want to look at a major Democratic city that has witnessed a dramatic drop in gun homicides, you need only look at New York City. And, over the years, it's been both Democrat and moderate Republican mayors who've had much to do with it.)

But here we go again- changing the conversation to avoid talking about the very real possibility that the shooting in Ferguson was unjustified and that race may well have been part of it.

I do agree now that this case may possibly be race oriented- possibly- have to wait and see. But I feel that if Brown would have showed respect from the beginning and just moved off the street- we would not be having this discussion right now. A don't believe a white police officer is going to just blatantly get out and shoot a black man for no reason. Though- I feel there would be some white cops that would shoot a black man and vice versa (a black cop shoot a white man) for blatant disrespect. Don't agree with it but I feel it's definitely possible. I do believe that white cops shooting blacks get more media attention than when it's a black cop shooting a white man. That's not me stating this because of racism feelings. Everyone is racist to a degree whether we think so or not. And it's just not with blacks and whites, I think there is racism in all facets of life.

As far as the Chicago statement- it's just troublesome to see the emphasis the media is putting on the Brown case when the situation of Blacks killing Blacks (especially in Chicago)is so much worse than the situation of White cops killing Blacks. The media attention should be put on the gangs and inner city killings. Display it for what it is and maybe more would be done to combat it. That's what I meant when I harshly stated my previous "Chicago quote". Part of it was more frustration on my part with the emphasis of what's wrong in this country put in the wrong place when so many other situations need more attention.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Tale of Two Shootings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL