The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Camera Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I hope this is the right place to request some help.

I use a closeup camera at our venue. The problem is the delay we experience given the distance needed to hardwire to our projection unit. (about 275-300ft.) It's quite noticeable to the audience when the screen is not synced with the on stage action.

Anyone know of a way to eliminate or at least reduce the lag? I'm considering a wireless type of setup. Surely, there must be something that will work.

Any recommendations?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Distance and speed are not your issue. It's the camera. Digital cameras do not output the signal immediately, there is a lag, particularly if the camera converts to an analog signal for your cable run. Patch your camera directly to your projector and you'll most likely still see the lag. If you can run a digital signal it may help. The length of a cable run (particularly a digital cable) can degrade the quality of the signal, but not the speed. Very expensive hardware does exist for live presentation situations but if you can find an older analog camera you'll see that it is perfectly in sync.

We have had to deal with this issue in musicals and operas where the conductor can't be seen by singers off stage. With a digital camera the conductor's image was hopelessly behind. We changed out the camera (just the camera) for an analog one and voilá! Perfect sync.

At our theatre we have a static stage camera that runs to the green room as a monitor. We just use an old, old VHS camcorder and run an RCA co-ax cable from the back of the room, under the house, bcakstage and to the green room. It works surprisingly well, and is perfectly in sync!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Camera Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL