The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt Pour Gimmick Load (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mtpascoe, no this is not 2 fisted, it is just a simple handling that makes it superior and easy for anyone. I think you are thinking of the Texan Trixter or one that is published in a book or magazine. It only came with the PG gimmick. I once told Pressley Guitar how superior it was when he was displaying his coins in Houstan TX at an IBM Convention.

I wish he was still making his props, his craftsmanship was the best.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John Mohring's "Texan Trixter" routine is the one he did on the Ed Sullivan show. Jody Baran is still using it every show. It is one that you have learn by the numbers.

I like the Pressly Guitar gimmick myself. It has a nice feel to it and fits well in my hand. The Kozak gimmick is too big and heavy for me. The Paul Fox gimmick are too light as they were spun from aluminum.
I have not handled Riser but I am sure they are on the same order as Guitar's. Levant's works well but I guess I am just a creature of habit.

Pouring from both hands, just requires some acting and recasting the salt. The Bertram book gives the basics on this.

I have three of the Guitar gimmicks as I never want to be without one.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Is there any footage of the "Texan Trixter" routine? I've read it in print and would like to see how it looks live....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only footage is of John Moehring on the Ed Sullivan Show, April 24, 1966. I vaguely remember reading it was shown at a magic convention where he appeared on a panel of people that were on the Ed Sullivan show.

I even purchased the Ed Sullivan video tape once, and all that was on it, when it comes to magicians was a 3 second clip of Mr. Electric producing the chandelier. Not even my reference below does not list the Moehring in title list of who appeared.

I would like to see the show as well, he does most, if not all the magic in the book, except the Bill in Lemon.

http://johnmoehring.com/author.html

April 24, 1966. I was attending college, working at the local GE Plant, and would be drafted into the Army in July, in December 7, 1966, I would arrive in Saigon, Viet Nam. Never seen the show. Must have been on a date with a nice looking blonde. LOL
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I always thought that the 5 Hour Energy Drink bottle would make a good Salt Gimmick if painted flesh color. What do you all think?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
A good idea Pascoe. Try it and share the data with us. You can also paint the bottle black. When Riser manufactured his salt pour gimmicks, he made them in black as well as flesh color. The late Dennis Loomis also advocated using a black salt pour gimmick. Perhaps it's the black art effect of the dark suit shadowing any possible flash of the gimmick.

April 24, 1966--I was a year and 3 months old...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, the baby syringe for the ear and nose are perfect uses for the gimmick. I like the idea of placing a thimble in the side and creating a new method for the hand to hand steal. The + slits are good ways for the flow. The bandage wraps they make today are flesh color and can cover the blue color of the syringes.

I also designed a hanging holder, and it is possible to do the double handed production for a longer pour.

There is so many possibilities for this trick, way beyond Fred Kaps presentation, handling, and methods. I don't know why this is not performed by more magicians. It is not a hard trick to perform. It packs small and plays big, and is a closer as well.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Years ago I made one from a squash ball, in the US I think its called rocket ball. Just it a slit and. This way you can control the flow of salt. The more you squeeze the wider the slit becomes so the salt will flow faster.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I tried a squash ball and it just cracked open. Maybe your ball was different, but mine didn't work.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah, I recall buying an "English" gimmick. It was a hollow rubber ball with an + in bottom and a thimble "stuck" in the "side". MEH!

At Magic Inc. in the back room, I "discovered" a box of spun metal "things". Jay solved the "mystery". He said they were a Don Alan idea that never got past the idea stage. Don's idea was to take a baby ear syringe, cut off the nozzle end that would go in the ear, jam the "ball" into the metal "thing" which made the whole gimmick resemble the Paul Fox/Danny Dew gaffus. An + was slashed in the bottom. If I remember, the problem was keeping the two parts together.

As I noted above, I played with the salt trick for at least a year. I wanted it for the high school kids. I could do the "move", no problem. I just couldn't devise a presentation that fit ME!

I really liked Roy Benson's presentation! Jay told me that Roy would get bored during the long pour, and, would "write" his name on the floor with the salt!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
A great post Mr. Oslund! If you can't devise a good presentation for an effect, it shouldn't go into your repertoire. I prefer using the spun gimmicks that are designed for this effect. The baby and baking materials are best left in the kitchen and the nursery.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2015, Leo H wrote:
A great post Mr. Oslund! If you can't devise a good presentation for an effect, it shouldn't go into your repertoire. I prefer using the spun gimmicks that are designed for this effect. The baby and baking materials are best left in the kitchen and the nursery.

Sorry, Leo L have disagree with you this time. John Mohring proved you wrong.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Hi Bill-I honestly don't believe that there is a correctness or incorrectness about the gimmicks. The ones that were designed by Paul Fox, James Riser, Levent, and Pressley Guitar work fine for me. I don't see any need to shop around for rubber syringes and so on and begin experimenting for the ideal version. I'm sure the Texan Trixter had fun putting together his version, but that doesn't mean I want to hit the supermarket and do the same thing.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Although its nice to make your own version of anything, and sometimes cheaper, the less moving parts and gimmicks you can employ, the better.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, Nick W wrote:
Although its nice to make your own version of anything, and sometimes cheaper, the less moving parts and gimmicks you can employ, the better.

Yeah--there's something to be said for minimizing the moving parts. The classic salt pour gimmicks are just one piece.
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
You can see John Moehring on the Sullivan show in this video. Jump to the end to see the Sullivan part.

http://johnmoehring.com/tess.html
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3399 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2015, hofzinser wrote:
You can see John Moehring on the Sullivan show in this video. Jump to the end to see the Sullivan part.

http://johnmoehring.com/tess.html

Don't jump to the end! Watch the whole video!!

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Finally got to see this appearance of John Moehring on the Ed Sullivan Show. Always wanted to ever since I purchased his Texan Trixter Book. Only had to wait 29 years. I thought he did the Multiplying Bottles on this appearance as well, must be what was cut out with the reduction of time from 5 minutes to 3 minutes. Maybe it will appear in another 29 years.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Not sure what to make of his Salt Pour routine. His hands looked empty but there seemed to be too much hand washing.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22401 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Leo H, you can see this was 1966, manipulation was used from the printed works and only from those that have passed down their secrets to other. I don't think there is to much hand washing in that act for cards and the Salt Pour. It was just looking like to me, the position of the hands at the end of each showing was wrong. I would show them much more casually, and not as long as in the video. This time line was also when Channing Pollack was at the height of his career. Dove magic was totally new and only Channing was doing doves from silks. You have to keep things in perspective when viewing masters of their era.

As you can see there is much more possible with the home made gimmicks. There is never any gimmick that will do it all, there is always a trade off. What I would do is mix and match to create something totally unique that has never been done before.

Tunnel vision can get in the way of uniqueness and creativity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Salt Pour Gimmick Load (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL