The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarbell 4: Coin Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicnick13
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of magicnick13
Hey Guys!
I'm really proud and excited that Lesson 4 of Tarbell has been released! The team has been working really, really, hard on this project for the past year. Lesson 4 is your first chance to see footage from our weekly live Tarbell show. Enjoy.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4671
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Mini review.

I had no plan to get this download, but in a moment of weakness... (and at $5...)

The DL has 4 tricks, which are:
-Dissolving coin - a coin seemingly dissolves in a glass of water. (requires certain props)
-Vanishing coin in hank - the clue is in the title, but this uses a cameo broach. (requires certain props)
-Coin thru hank - a classic effect.
-Copper silver transposition (through hank) - this one has a kicker prediction.

The DL is once again shot very well with great camera work and sound. Explanations are detailed and very clear - no excuses for not learning. Dan demonstrates his excellent teaching credentials and you see the effects performed to a live audience.

Constructive critique - perhaps the limitations of Tarbell, but for the newer coin student, I would have liked to have seen at least one simple impromptu coin only effect e.g. a basic in the (spec's) hands switch or vanish & reappearance. I know, I know, this is Tarbell..

Positives - What really did impress me was how Dan performed a few coin tricks in essentially a stage/parlour setting and made them play big. The real gold here in many ways is Dan's treatment and performance of the tricks.

Summary: I won't be using any of the material, but will definitely watch again as Dan's presentation and tweaking of what are essentially micro effects, was worth the $5 to me.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I downloaded this as well yesterday. The only one I haven't seen so far is #3 which I'll watch later today.

My general feeling is:

1. Beutifully produced and filmed. Dan is an excellent performer and instructor. I can definitely see the appeal for this series and I'm sure it will be a hit.

2. Personally, the tricks themselves were not my favorites. The interesting thing to see was how Dan took the original tricks and worked them into 5 minute routines. My own personal opinion was that the original tricks were a bit stronger than Dan's reworking, mainly because I thought his additions dragged a bit and went on way too long for the worth of the effect. But it was educational to see how he went about routining the original effects.

3. Dan's routines were also much more geared to a stage performer than a closeup worker, so closeup guys will need to adjust the material.

4. Going back and reading the original: while it was fun watching the books come to life, for me, there is more value in just reading the original book. The material in lesson 1 & 2 (the free lessons) are better imparted by reading I thought (the videos were a bit too much with the talking heads) and in lesson 4, I thought the original handling was stronger in the book. I don't think I'll be continuing with the series, but in general, it is well done and I'm sure it will find an audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Tarbell 4: Coin Tricks (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL