The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mat Franco wins AGT (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
"And, ABSOLUTELY! --A lot of young guys could learn from this! "

a lot of old guys could learn from this as well.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1671 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Reminds me of the time David Blaine performed on Oprah. The audience was ooh-ing and ah-ing over his rather ordinary, in terms of construction and performance, Ambitious Card routine.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1592 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Rub A Dub Dub .........
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8088 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Ringmaster! "...Three men in three tubs..." I have the original instruction sheet! (I'll check, but, if memory serves, it was Jack Bateman's routine.)

That "old stuff" can be entertaining! --and this young fellow proved it! PRESENTATION! PERSONALITY!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8088 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
"And, ABSOLUTELY! --A lot of young guys could learn from this! "

a lot of old guys could learn from this as well.

I agree! --ABSOLUTELY~!!!

Last Tuesday, I saw a "magician" (middle aged adult)murder magic for 60 minutes. He came on wearing a dark jacket, and very wrinkled baggy black jeans. It was a "phone show". He was hired for about $300. He drove 200 miles round trip. He had a "boom box" sound system, and could not be heard past the "footlights". Before the curtain opened, he was playing music (barely audible--thank heavens!)It was indescribable! I counted 17 tricks in the 60 minutes--each one worse than the last one. Did you ever see anyone screw up the DIE BOX?

He was the perfect (???) example of the guy who has gone to a magic shop, bought (in his mind!) a couple thousand dollars worth of "magic", and now books himself as a professional performer. YUK!

The audience were "in" on free UPC tix. When the show was over, they all got up and walked out.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5122 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'd be curious to know how the stage - in particular the table - was set for this show. Was it set up for the best angle to be seen from the judges' point of view? The audience? Or, the camera(s) for the TV audience? All would be at different angles, no? And in this case I would imagine that subtle changes in an angle up and down can make a huge difference in the movements we see.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Mat Franco has rendered a great service to magic and to our community by winning such a price.
Thank you Mat !

For the ones critical about Mat's technique, they should remember that audiences are not after our display of our great technique. They are not looking for expert magical jugglery but after magical effects. If they received Mat's magic as such, he must have done something right that the "purists" should learn.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5260 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Well said, Etienne!

And welcome back - I haven't seen you here for a while. Smile

Jim
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1671 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Has anyone gotten reactions from laymen, other than the judges, about this routine? I'll bet they were not so impressed. Many laymen know about the number of balls used in the balls-through-cups routines, and the final loads were so obvious that I find it hard to believe that any layman would walk away after watching this routine without saying, "I know how he did it."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8088 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
At the Kiwanis Club, yesterday, I lunched with three men who brought up the subject, and all of them were complimentary. They had really enjoyed Mat Franco's presentation!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
As it happens, Mat performed as a strolling magician at a fund-raiser at our school last spring. So, when I learned about his win, I posted the video on the faculty email. Not one of my colleagues mentioned problems of technique when they spoke to me later. I think we have to remind ourselves taht the layman is watching the shiny metal cups and jumping balls. All else (except the punctuating smile) is out of focus for them, like choosing watch the puppet and not the puppeteer. As a C&B student, I watch hands and don't focus on the balls so much, because I usualy know where they are already. I need experiences like Mat's performance to remind me of this important lesson.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I have enjoyed the comments about the clumsy loads. Only a magician would think that. Layman doen't know there is a load coming, so they never see it. I haven't seen a cups and balls in years where the load wasn't obvious ..... To me. First thing I thought when seeing Gazzo perform in a youtube video was how obvious the loads were. But the audience NEVER SEE's it.

Some of you have forgotten to see as a layman would
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1671 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I have not forgotten how laymen view things. In fact, I'm quite good at it. Friends of magicians are not necessarily your average laymen.

The loads were unmotivated and obvious, even to "stupid" laymen. (Many magicians think that viewing things as a layman means viewing things as a stupid idiot.)

He played to the judges. Who declared these judges to be experts on magical performances? Why are they considered "average laymen"? Howard Stern? Please. (Well, I guess I must admit that while most are not, at least a few laymen are, indeed, stupid idiots.)

As far as advancing the art of magic, how does praising mediocrity advance the art of magic?
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
"I find it hard to believe that any layman would walk away after watching this routine without saying, "I know how he did it." "
"I have not forgotten how laymen view things. In fact, I'm quite good at it. "

Well, since millions of people voted for him and he actually won the contest, I'm thinking you are probably not as good at it as you think. What advances magic is to have it featured on a national tv show viewed by millions and then winning.

Here is the good news: if a hack like Matt can win, just think how well YOU'LL do when you try out. Smile
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
I know a good opening trick: how many sour grapes can a magician eat?
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
322 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I have to laugh, when I hear magicians say their good at looking at another magician as a laymen.
Common sense tells me this is impossible to do!

How can this be, if you know how everything is done! The laymen does not know whats coming and what to look for.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1671 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
This fellow, Mat, might be an excellent magician. I didn't see any of his other performances. Nor did I see the performances of anyone else he competed against. I only saw his cups and balls routine. And I didn't think it was very good.

I don't watch America's Got Talent, and I don't know what the audience for this show is. I'm totally and completely uninterested in any show that features Howard Stern as a judge or in any other capacity.

I disagree that exposure of this sort on TV is good for magic. During the 1950s and 1960s, TV almost killed magic. Magic began to be viewed as something trivial, something not very interesting. The power of magic is in its experience live. A person can see a coin vanish on TV and be puzzled by it. But a person can see a coin vanish live, right in front of their eyes, and it can cause their heart to skip a beat. It is a completely different experience.

As far as putting yourself in someone else's shoes, it's called "empathy," a quality that seems to be lacking in many people in many different contexts. So, shellgame-al, laugh all you want.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4562 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Whether the loads were clumsy or not is irrelevant. The judges and audience loved it and that's what matters. Look at Penn and Teller's cups and balls. Perfect example of "getting away with it" and loved every time.

There will always be haters, look at David Blain. People (magicians) hated his first TV special. "OMG any kid with a hundred dollars bill and a trip to a magic shop could have done his show " but I took it the other way and performed every effect he did (that wasn't trick photography) and laymen absolutely loved it. I was a full time working table hopper and bar magician at the time. I got sick of hearing how I should be on TV or go to Vegas and get rich.

It is not the effect or even technically perfect execution as much as it is Personality and Performance. If you are likeable, they will like you. Even if they catch a glimpse, it will many times be forgotten if the "whole show" was good.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
Empathy is not what was shown here, on the Café by some of Matt's fellow magician's. Not for the audience of laymen, who voted for him. It wasn't even constructive criticism. I think what we seen in his cups and ball routine was from a different camera angle, then what the judges and the audience (laymen) seen. After all they did vote for him and he was judge by his whole performance.

As far as Howard Stern, I can't stand the man. On this I do agree.

Poof-Daddy, I agree with everything you posted. I can tell you are one who has empathy for others and with good sense. I wish good lucky to you, in everything.

By the way every laymen I know who has seen David Blain, has said, " what David does, looks like Real Magic."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8088 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I can't get Lawrence O.'s post to "jump" over here to "page 2", but he said it very well.

Poof Daddy (where did you "get" that monicker???) said it very well also. Ditto, friend Hudson! --and several others!

The "EFFECT" (what the spectator "SEES" --or THINKS, he "SEES") is the important thing.

Every layman that I've talked with, was ENTERTAINED, by the effect. No one mentioned the loads!

A good magician, if he has any experience and/or knowledge, should be able to "see" the loads! Hekk, I'm not a cups and balls performer, and I did!

The performer was likable, his presentation was fun. Mat ENTERTAINED the audience --and the judges,too!

AGT is not FISM!

I wonder how many ever saw Harry Blackstone's "DUCK INN"!!! It was probably the most brazen method ever!!! The "load" was "dragged" off stage VISIBLY! --As far as I know, no layman ever saw the ducks "go"! I remember that I finally was able to catch it when I saw it for the third time!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mat Franco wins AGT (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL