The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren brown (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Out of all the effects everyone have seen from any of his shows which effect stands out more to you and why!!
Curious 👍

By the way thanks very much for all the posts great to see the conversation still going 👏


Koran medallion for sheer, simple emotional power.

The painting effect for the co-ordination of all the theatrical elements: script, performance, lighting and -especially- music. A masterpiece.



Hello Martin
Is this the one will the ball of wool?


Yeah, that's it.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, george1953 wrote:
Hi Robbie, I think it was called "miracles for sale"



That's it could not think of it 👍

Thanks
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Iain Moran wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
The bank night and ACAAN were edited out.

Also, as far as I can recall, was the Chair routine near the beginning of the show.

I've not watched all of the TV version yet, so perhaps it came later?


Oh yes! I forgot about the chair routine.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Out of all the effects everyone have seen from any of his shows which effect stands out more to you and why!!
Curious 👍

By the way thanks very much for all the posts great to see the conversation still going 👏


Koran medallion for sheer, simple emotional power.

The painting effect for the co-ordination of all the theatrical elements: script, performance, lighting and -especially- music. A masterpiece.



Hello Martin
Is this the one will the ball of wool?


Yeah, that's it.

100% agree I remember watching out and the look on the ladies face just amazing with the story of the box hidden away etc and when it was opened and found the wool only to reveal the coin just taught it was top notch
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I watched that bit with my girlfriend and she was about at tears at the end. I said did you believe the box story? She said sure why not. As the say in Hollywood, the secret to acting is sincerity - once you can fake that, you got it made.
Bravo acting for that one.
dd123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dd123
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, The Hermit wrote:
I watched that bit with my girlfriend and she was about at tears at the end. I said did you believe the box story? She said sure why not. As the say in Hollywood, the secret to acting is sincerity - once you can fake that, you got it made.
Bravo acting for that one.


IMHO a huge part of his success is down to his presence and personality. He engages the audience perfectly and never comes across as smug.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, dd123 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, The Hermit wrote:
I watched that bit with my girlfriend and she was about at tears at the end. I said did you believe the box story? She said sure why not. As the say in Hollywood, the secret to acting is sincerity - once you can fake that, you got it made.
Bravo acting for that one.


IMHO a huge part of his success is down to his presence and personality. He engages the audience perfectly and never comes across as smug.



Agree 100%
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, The Hermit wrote:
I got to see it last night. It was an interesting approach compared to others. It had more of a skeptic feel to it. Now that I know some stuff was edited out, it may play different on stage. I flew to the UK to see Svengali live and saw the TV version. I feel they were very close. This one survived a lot on DB personality. Enigma was certainly a good one for mentalists. This one didn't have some of the energy of the others. That being said, the guy is amazing. He has the personality to make it work. He looks good with the right amount of seriousness and British wit. There is no American mentalist that comes close to this. They are either, not handsome, too serious or lack energy. No offense fellow Americans.

Derren connects with the audience. It's that magical ability few performers have. He is the guy you'd like to have at your party or just sit and chat with. He comes across as genuine. Don't know the guy, could be a jerk. However, his stage persona is comfortable and engaging. The shaved head was a change, but given he's balding, that was probably the best approach. Didn't diminish the looks or charisma.


Completely agree. He is a top master in all the skills a mentalist/hypnotist has to have and his biggest secret is his likeability and the instant rapport he creates with people. Nobody comes close because these are things that cannot be taught. And no he's not a jerk, the guy is genuinely an amazing person.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Out of all the effects everyone have seen from any of his shows which effect stands out more to you and why!!
Curious 👍

By the way thanks very much for all the posts great to see the conversation still going 👏


Koran medallion for sheer, simple emotional power.

The painting effect for the co-ordination of all the theatrical elements: script, performance, lighting and -especially- music. A masterpiece.


These were my favorites as well. Love that Elvis routine with the upside down reveal.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Out of all the effects everyone have seen from any of his shows which effect stands out more to you and why!!
Curious 👍

By the way thanks very much for all the posts great to see the conversation still going 👏


Koran medallion for sheer, simple emotional power.

The painting effect for the co-ordination of all the theatrical elements: script, performance, lighting and -especially- music. A masterpiece.



Hello Martin
Is this the one will the ball of wool?


Yeah, that's it.

100% agree I remember watching out and the look on the ladies face just amazing with the story of the box hidden away etc and when it was opened and found the wool only to reveal the coin just taught it was top notch


I met Derren after the show backstage after seeing Enigma and told him that the Medallion effect was the best theatrical piece of magic I have ever witnessed. And though he has done many years of touring since I still stand by that statement. (David Copperfield's Portal live comes a close second)
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
It truly was sublime. A high point in our art form without a doubt.

Anyone have any thoughts on his worst live effects, though? Smile I would say the L*****r floating table was a bit of a stinker!
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
It truly was sublime. A high point in our art form without a doubt.

Anyone have any thoughts on his worst live effects, though? Smile I would say the L*****r floating table was a bit of a stinker!


There are so few, lol, but, for me, I would put the opening effect in Svengali with the shoes near the bottom of the pile. Just too cheesey for my taste, especially the awful music track.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
LukePreston
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of LukePreston
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Mesaboogie wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
It truly was sublime. A high point in our art form without a doubt.

Anyone have any thoughts on his worst live effects, though? Smile I would say the L*****r floating table was a bit of a stinker!


There are so few, lol, but, for me, I would put the opening effect in Svengali with the shoes near the bottom of the pile. Just too cheesey for my taste, especially the awful music track.


I loved that cheesy music, it was a lovely playful piece!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
I loved his painting effect, painting it upside and then finally turning it rightside to the audience was cool, and it was a nice showcase of his emmaculute paintings skills.
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Neb
I always love his bank night effects, whether it's in the stage shows or the intimate tv versions.

The Stephen Merchant Yes/No routine was just perfect!

Also the trick he did with Matt Lucas with the three cards was beautiful.

We could be here all month listing his best work, I think he surpasses his personal bests all the time!
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
If anyone ever argues with me that mentalism is not a proper art form, that it is more closely related to variety acts like plate spinning or eccentric dancing rather than the higher theatrical forms of drama, opera, ballet etc, I would only need to show them Derren's presentation of the medallion effect to silence their argument.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
If anyone ever argues with me that mentalism is not a proper art form, that it is more closely related to variety acts like plate spinning or eccentric dancing rather than the higher theatrical forms of drama, opera, ballet etc, I would...


"Punch them in the throat" is what I was actual expecting... Smile
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Close. I head-butt them before forcing them to watch the medallion effect. They never diss mentalism again!
NeilMcCauley
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of NeilMcCauley
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Neb wrote:

The Stephen Merchant Yes/No routine was just perfect!

Also the trick he did with Matt Lucas with the three cards was beautiful.


There are quite a few of his TV effects that I'd love to see in person, mainly to determine how much editing was necessary to make them so strong. A few that come to mind are:

- Seeing with fingertips (Derren derives the contents of somebody's wallet just by touch)
- Derren guesses how much cash a person has on their person (and writes his guess on a bit of paper that goes inside an envelope)
- The Yes/No trick, of course.
- Rock, paper, scissors
- The 'how many fingers?' game. Pretty sure I know the method to this and it's, well, rather underhand, shall we say.
- The one where he has a card in his top jacket pocket and the guy at the dinner party guesses its identity.
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
If anyone ever argues with me that mentalism is not a proper art form, that it is more closely related to variety acts like plate spinning or eccentric dancing rather than the higher theatrical forms of drama, opera, ballet etc, I would only need to show them Derren's presentation of the medallion effect to silence their argument.



Haha good owl 👊 wouldn go a stray lol 👍
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren brown (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL