The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren brown (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Yeah the table trick has to be the all time low it was really cringe worthy for me to watch knowing hes done effects like reminisce and the Medallion effect.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2667 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I'd say, of all his shows, this one was the least strong. It seemed a bit of a hodgepodge, with no consistent thread linking the effects. But Derren Brown at his worst is better than many mentalists at their best! Smile

I wonder why there were no "Consultants" listed in the end credits. I spotted at least one marketed effect and then there was the "Box of Reality," which I associate with Luca Volpe.

lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3294 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Yes this is my personal version of it that I have created long before Derren, actually me and Andy Nyman we spitted this box in Blackpool in the same day! Great minds think alike...lol.... I also presented this act, with my red envelope plot in France at the Nostradamus Award (I won the Silver Nostradamus with this act).
:)
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
He also used the Sh#######e E########t but only used it to reveal 2 words. Its capable of so much more I can't help wondering why he didn't make more of it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2667 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, lucavolpe wrote:
Yes this is my personal version of it that I have created long before Derren, actually me and Andy Nyman we spitted this box in Blackpool in the same day! Great minds think alike.
:)

Luca,

Is this a box that's marketed toward magicians? If so, what is it called?

Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, george1953 wrote:
He also used the Sh#######e E########t but only used it to reveal 2 words. Its capable of so much more I can't help wondering why he didn't make more of it.

George,

This is the effect I was referring to.

I started a thread on the subject downstairs as I feel further discussion up here may open a can of worms.
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Neb
There are certain particular things I'm looking forward to in my life, the new Star Wars trilogy, autobiographies by people I love that I hope they write such as Bill Murray.

I really hope that in later years Derren or someone on his behalf writes a book akin to "The mind and magic of David Berglas" about his career and how he achieved certain effects!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Neb wrote:
There are certain particular things I'm looking forward to in my life, the new Star Wars trilogy, autobiographies by people I love that I hope they write such as Bill Murray.

I really hope that in later years Derren or someone on his behalf writes a book akin to "The mind and magic of David Berglas" about his career and how he achieved certain effects!


I second that, and also what Mind Guerilla said about this being his weakest show, though none the less a solid performance compared to the average mentalist, I felt it didn't flow as well as some of his others. I always loved how fluent his performances where and how they told one big story, Svengali being a prime example.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3294 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, lucavolpe wrote:
Yes this is my personal version of it that I have created long before Derren, actually me and Andy Nyman we spitted this box in Blackpool in the same day! Great minds think alike.
:)

Luca,

Is this a box that's marketed toward magicians? If so, what is it called?

Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, george1953 wrote:
He also used the Sh#######e E########t but only used it to reveal 2 words. Its capable of so much more I can't help wondering why he didn't make more of it.

George,

This is the effect I was referring to.

I started a thread on the subject downstairs as I feel further discussion up here may open a can of worms.


Is called: Emotion Box and yes was not meant to be a mentalism act but when I saw it I immediately knew that was perfect for that!
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Special user
998 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
The Effect that was not included will be shown next Friday on Chanel 4 as part of its stand up to cancer night !
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
The chair test, the bank night or the card routine?
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Neb
My friend was at the taping so I believe it will be the card routine.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Cheers Neb.
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Just watched "Infamous" (TV version) and it was unclear to me what Infamous meant.

I didn't think, like others, it was his best performance and it will be tough to ever top the medallion/coin in wool effect, which was a masterpiece.

Ahhh, simplicity at its finest.

This one did have a disjointed feel of sorts and perhaps the editing didn't help.

Looking forward to see the CAAN effect at some point and maybe the other edited out parts.

I also find it curious that people feel it necessary to point out that its his personality and rapport building that make the show. As if another show (of any medium really) isn't great because of the very same.

Perhaps non-performers still think its the tricks.
caitiecat
View Profile
New user
Savannah, GA
8 Posts

Profile of caitiecat
I enjoyed the floating table. It's interesting to see what all he can get away with under the guise of presenting trickery.
Neb
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Neb
I always felt the floating table was more of an example of what old mediums did rather than expecting the audience to fully buy into it.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I agree. But I still think it looked out of place. The table was the wrong proportions for the stage, for a start.
jegerbims
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of jegerbims
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2014, robbie mcgrath wrote:
Out of all the effects everyone have seen from any of his shows which effect stands out more to you and why!!
Curious 👍

By the way thanks very much for all the posts great to see the conversation still going 👏


For me, my favorite effect is the finale with the word influential on page 14 of the Daily Mail, at the end of his Something Wicked show. Brilliant effect, and best of all, brilliant explanation of the effect, and an awesome way of showing it through that little movie from the show he plays at the end. I can't read the word influential without immediately thinking about this effect!


My favorite moment in his shows would be in his Evening of Wonders show, where he is doing his Q and A oracle act, he gets to a lady and asks her if she's thinking about dyeing her hair at the moment. She then confirms, and without skipping a beat, he tells her to get that out of her mind so he can read the actual question she has in mind. Such a minor thing, but for me, that line sells the entire effect. It's not only funny, but for the audience, and the participant as well, it seems like such a direct mind-read. Just brilliant!
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
Hopefully CAAN will be shown , I saw it anmd it was just fantastic
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
246 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
The Box ist the Emotion Box by Hakan Varol
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Great Show but not his best, the finale was not that impressive, what do you think ? did he reach his maximum ? or are we being more demanding ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren brown (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL