The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wildlife Restoration act of 1937Tax you never hear about (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
The little known Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937, also known as the Pittman-Robertson Act, imposed an excise tax on firearms and ammunition. It was supported at the time by hunters and the gun industry and revenues would be dedicated to protecting species, wildlife habitats, setting up hiking trails, public shooting ranges, and various conservation efforts.

In 2012, the revenue generated from the fund was $371 million. But that nearly doubled over the last two years to $760 million in fiscal year 2014, according to Guns.com. During this time, Obama pushed for stricter gun control laws.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
What's your point?
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
See, all Obama was trying to do was panic gun nuts into saving, preserving, and enhancing the environment!! It's the old double reverse switcheroo! Genius!!

Seriously though Pittman-Robertson and even Dingel-Johnson, both of which I think I've mentioned on this board, have done more for habitat and wildlife than probably any other thing. We owe a lot of or wild/open spaces, and wildlife of all sorts, to that act. It's just been a massive boon to the environment.

The fact that you never really hear about. Or hear how groups like DU have preserved 10 million acres of wetlands and stuff like that. Well. Whatever. No ones really interested in who's footing the bill for something until it's gone.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for posting this. The hunters I grew up with are some of the "Greenest" guys I've ever met. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I still don't understand the point of the OP. What does the fact that the President pushed for stricter gun regulations have to do with revenue obtained under the Act?

Seems like a non sequitor to me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Obama's gun stance = more purchases of guns & ammo = more tax revenue.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Could just as easily be read to mean Obama's gun stance = LESS future revenue if successful.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
That may be the case in the future. In the meantime, I've seen stories (not lately) about run-ups at gun shops.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
That may be the case in the future. In the meantime, I've seen stories (not lately) about run-ups at gun shops.

Yeah, I saw the same sort of stories last year and the year before. Shares of gun manufacturers were on fire, hitting 52 week highs. That was then. This is now:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mergermarket......termath/

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/201......ursting/

The second link is particularly informative.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Makes sense to me...anyone who wanted guns and was concerned that Obama would be a threat to their availability has had more than five and a half years to (ahem) "load up."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
And, of course, the "threat to their availability" turned out just to be more NRA fear mongering, for which, I'm sure, gun and ammunition makers are extremely grateful.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
And, of course, the "threat to their availability" turned out just to be more NRA fear mongering, for which, I'm sure, gun and ammunition makers are extremely grateful.


It was extremely legitimate. As a matter of pure happenstance, gun rights advocates can be glad that in the wake of Heller, Obama hasn't had the opportunity to appoint a swing Justice.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
And, of course, the "threat to their availability" turned out just to be more NRA fear mongering, for which, I'm sure, gun and ammunition makers are extremely grateful.

Hey BOB ... Try buying some 22 long rifle shells! Obama is doing the same thing the British tried to do ... Grab the ammo. My friends say they now have crazy inspection requirements for gun powder. And the inspectors are S L O W ...........
I agree that the arms makers are making money from this situation. That's their plan.
You aren't really trying to say the liberals aren't screaming to disarm Americans ...you aren't trying to hide that fact are you? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, Slim King wrote:

Try buying some 22 long rifle shells! Obama is doing the same thing the British tried to do ... Grab the ammo. My friends say they now have crazy inspection requirements for gun powder. And the inspectors are S L O W ...........


Yeah I can speak from experience there are still many things that are hard to obtain. Many of the popular cartridges can still be hard to find. And I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the powder I use to reload shotgun shells for a year. I made it through this season with the 4lb container I got last year. And I had to drive 3/4 of the way across the state to get that.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I still don't understand the point of the OP. What does the fact that the President pushed for stricter gun regulations have to do with revenue obtained under the Act?

Seems like a non sequitor to me.


Why did you even bring up the President? Where did that come from? Jeez. Seems like you and stonehinged have a problem with my post. I don't know why.

Just pointing out that hunters and people who buy hunting and shooting supplies contribute more for the environment than many people realize. So maybe you anti gun guys are giving them a bad rap. By the way. How much have you contributed to save the environment lately or do you just post?

If you cannot figure out that those who purchase ammo and guns and other hunting and target equipment contribute more to save the environment than all of you so called green guys...wake up and smell the roses.


non sequitor??? what other topic were you referring???
This was a stand alone post. What is wrong with you? Or is it just because it was posted by acesover?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5129 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Why did you even bring up the President? Where did that come from? Jeez.


Seriously? Your OP said:

Quote:
During this time, Obama pushed for stricter gun control laws.


smh
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I have to apologize. When I cut and pasted I did not realize that I included this line:

During this time, Obama pushed for stricter gun control laws.

Again I apologize.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hard to know that your OP was a cut and paste job, since you didn't put it in quotes, nor did you provide any link to the source. You simply posted it as if it was your own words.

Now I want to know what the actual author meant by the Obama reference.

But, apology accepted.

I fully agree that hunters have contributed much to wildlife preservation. I've never had a problem with hunting OR gun ownership. I just favor reasonable gun control regulations, just like the NRA did until 1977, before they became a lobbying arm for the gun industry.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/14/the_nra_......control/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16356 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sounds much like the argument of the Fox hunters over here. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wildlife Restoration act of 1937Tax you never hear about (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL