The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » International Magic Convention 2014 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4309 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Well I have not been for a couple of year's and thought I would treat myself to a Saturday ticket,no evening show or wine bar show,just a ticket to walk around the dealers room and be in the company of fellow magician's,last time I went I am sure the ticket was £35.00? ,it is now £60.00,nearly fell off my office chair,no way at that price for me,gutted just can not afford a price like that,i use to go up there,take the train £11.00 have a dinner and drink spend a fair bit in the dealer's room,but at that crazy price it will have cost me £71.00 just to get there and get in,heck I only wanted to mingle in the dealer's room and pick up anything I might like.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Well sorry to hear that you're not going to make it out.

Anyone else here planning on attending?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I have to agree with Fire Starter , I used to go to this every year but when you consider the price of this compaired to other conventions it is way over priced

£35 to walk round the dealers it a joke right !

(I guess Payne can use that on his monologue at " Magic Live" next year which does offer excellent value for money)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2014, Martin.Lester wrote:

(I guess Payne can use that on his monologue at " Magic Live" next year which does offer excellent value for money)

Sorry to say, But it appears I won't be doing any of my monologues at MAGIC Live next year. I've had my fifteen minutes of fame so it's time to give another presenter a chance to shine. I will be presenting a number of them at the Festival of Magic which precedes the International Magic Convention. Or you can watch the one I just presented at the Magic and meaning conference last week https://vimeo.com/110098542
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
killermagic80
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of killermagic80
Master Payne I see you will be appearing on various days at International magic, including history and mentalism day.

I m looking forward!
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2014, Martin.Lester wrote:

Sorry to say, But it appears I won't be doing any of my monologues at MAGIC Live next year. I've had my fifteen minutes of fame so it's time to give another presenter a chance to shine. I will be presenting a number of them at the Festival of Magic which precedes the International Magic Convention. Or you can watch the one I just presented at the Magic and meaning conference last week https://vimeo.com/110098542

This will be our loss. Love your presentations, your magic knowledge and wisdom, and your humor.

Thanks so much for sharing the vimeo from the Magic and Meaning Conference. Totally worthy of a Ted Talk and any magician that doesn't get a chance to see it is just plain missing out.

-Just another Fanboy
AllenChilver
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of AllenChilver
After an absence of several years, this year I treated myself to a three day ticket, including the Saturday Gala Show which included Mister Payne's wonderful monologue. Bought the latest in the "Impuzzibilies" series from Jim Steinmeyer in person and also ordered the latest offering from Colin Rose of Five of Hearts Magic, which goes public tomorrow. (I have dealt with Colin and his wife Sharon for many years; I have only just met Jim but I must say they are three of the nicest people I have come across in magic.) Tried to retrain myself at the International Magic stall (as I am in the shop so often) but failed when I found they had a long out-of-print Robert Harbin book for sale. Some wonderful performances and lectures from Jonathan Pendragon, Doc Eason, Jon Armstrong, Karl Hein, Henry Evans and many others.

A great weekend.

(I had intended to give FISM a try next year, especially when I found it is to be in Rimini where I have family, but then I saw the registration fee - 600 Euros. Gulp. Perhaps not.)
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Didn't go this year. They doubled the price! That plus airfare and hotel put it out of my price range Smile

Sounds like it was fun. Who won the competition this year?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Master Payne had something different to show us everyday, either it was a lecture or a performance. Excellent lecture notes and that part of the presentation that included his thinking for magic magazines made me thinking a lot! SmileWhat to say for the festival and convention, it is the 6th year in a row I am going, where to start, from the great great gala or Mr.Jonathan Pendragon, his performance and such an inspiring lecture...Red Skelton show from Tom Mullica and also interview and lecture...Doc Eason, Bob Sheets...it was an 8 star event!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
It was from start to finish the best International Magic convention in years. Noel Britten did an excellent job as did everyone else involved in the planning and organization of the event.

Viktor Renner won the competition.
Noel Britten
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Noel Britten
Hi

Thanks to this of you who came and posted your highlights. As one of the organisers of the Convention I feel I need to address one of the issues that is mentioned above and that is the price of the registration.

Firstly, and most importantly of all, the Convention does not make any level of profit whatsoever, and hasn't for as long as I have been involved with it - those points are not directly correlated by the way Smile - I do not know the finances before I joined the organising team. I think England, and London in particular, should be grateful to Martin of International Magic to have continually subsidised the Convention to make sure that it continues. I find it baffling that it is not supported more widely, especially by magicians in the London area.

The registration is expensive IF your sole desire is to wander around the dealer hall. I'd suggest that IF that is your main reason for attending you don't really get what CONVENTIONS are about, and that you would be much better off attending The Magic Circle Dealers Day a few weeks earlier where ALL there is are dealers and the price of entry reflects that.

To ME, Conventions are about receiving an injection of energy and motivation to improve - and THAT comes from seeing world class performers and realising (whether we care to admit it or not) that the rest of us should be a lot better than we are - both individually and collectively. It depresses me that at Blackpool last year, Derek Paul was considered by many the 'highlight' of the Convention and received an - I presume, ironic - standing ovation. To walk away from an event feeling smug that you've seen someone that you consider has got it woefully wrong, and how much better YOU are is a sad reflection on human nature in general and magicians in particular.

So, returning to the International Convention, booking such talent does not come cheap. This year alone at the Convention we had Tom Mullica, Jonathan Pendragon, Bob Sheets, Doc Eason, Tina Lenert, Mike Caveney, Karl Hein, Henry Evans, Jon Armstrong, Jim Steinmeyer, Master Payne, Xavier Mortimer alongside 5 outstanding variety acts during the course of the week. Those were just the overseas acts. On top of that add the UK performers Richard Wiseman, Anthony Owen, Michael Vincent, Chris Cox, John Archer, Justin Higham, Morgan and West, Peter Lamont, Ian Keable, Joe Barry, Russ Stevens, Ben Hanlin, Nigel Mead and many others.

All of them during the course of the Convention available for you to talk to, pick their brains, and get inspired by. Not to mention of course those just attending the Convention as registrants - the likes of Guy Hollingworth, Dynamo, David Berglas, Richard Kaufman, Andy Nyman, Richard McDougall, Will Houstoun, Quentin Reynolds, Fay Presto and so many more.

Put those two groups together and you have a veritable Brains Trust of knowledge to tap into, and if you think your time is better spent JUST walking around the dealers hall I think you've got your magical priorities very wrong indeed.

The facilities in which we hold the Convention, I believe, are top notch, as they should be to showcase the performers in the best light. The theatre is the right size to create the proper level of intimacy and has proper raked seats so that everyone can see perfectly - no 'village hall' seats on a flat floor, or a theatre so big that the acts get 'lost' or smaller props invisible. Close up is performed where you can both see the table top 'live' from a good angle (NOT from below the level of the table) and projected. Such facilities do not come cheaply.

To make a (slightly unfortunate) analogy, if you go to a Convention because all you want to see is the dealers- its like going to a top class restaurant and complaining about the prices when all you really wanted to do was use their washroom.

So those of you who think that £150 for 2 and a half days of packed magic (2 one man shows, 6 lectures, a question and answer session, an hour of Bar Magic in a privately hired bar, the David Berglas Award Presentation, a Close Up Gala Show with 6 performers, a Stage Gala Show with 12 acts AND a Dealers Hall) is expensive - although you charge how much for a couple of hours of close up, or pay how much for a one trick DVD or prop that then lies in a drawer untouched after a cursory examination - here's a way to get a free registration to the next Convention. All you have to do is post here how much you think the Mermaid Conference Centre costs us to hire for the three days - that's the venue, the staff costs, and use of their lights, projectors, microphones etc. Person who posts the amount closest to the figure we were charged for 2014 wins a free registration - but think carefully before posting- only one entry per person.

Thanks again to those of you who came and supported the Convention and of course thanks to the myriad of magician volunteers who help out over the course of the Convention with airport pick ups, stage crewing, hosting, and untold help during the course of the week. We couldn't do it without you.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2471 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
£150 is *** inexpensive for what you get at the International Magic Convention.
The registration is reasonably priced!
Hotels = expensive. Food = expensive. International Magic convention = NOT expensive.

Magic conventions are very difficult to put on and the economic return is minimal, if any. I applaud Martin and Georgie for continuing to put on a great convention every year, which I always try to attend if possible (and with the airfare, it costs me more than most folks).
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of rjs
Yes, I'd like to second that.
This convention is not over-priced.
Furthermore, the Festival of Magic in the preceding week has outstanding presenters and is quite inspirational.
Noel Britten is a very amusing compere throughout.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » International Magic Convention 2014 (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL