The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Delayed Show Start (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Hey Everyone,

At times I've been booked for events where I was asked to delay the start of the show until more guests arrive. I'm sure many of you have had that happen too. I can live with this delay up to a point.

Another reason for my show to start late is due to a special program where I'm not the first on the agenda. This has happened at family reunions and corporate events, etc. This means that I have to get there and set up my case, prop table etc in the wing or side of the stage area and then start when they get to the time slot they set for me. It may take me 10 min or so to get set and ready to roll and I have to do it in advance so that there is not a 10 min delay between the act or speaker before me and when I actually start. Okay...now that you understand the situation...here's the question.

Do you charge for the time that you have to wait? There have been times when I've been told in advance of the need to setup and delay the start and other times, I've not been told in advance. How do you handle this?

I've considered adding a clause to my performance agreement to charge for the wait time. Yet, I don't want to seem greedy or mean spirited. All the while, I don't want people to abuse my time and take me for granted?

I spoke with one brother magi who said that he just charges a hefty enough fee so that it doesn't bother him if he has to wait.

I've also considered including a clause in the corporate contract, but not in the family/kid shows.

Here's the clause I'm considering adding to my Performance Agreement:

Delayed Start Fee:
1) If circumstances arise that call for delaying the start of the show, then the show start can be
pushed back by 15 minutes without additional compensation. Delays longer than this are billed at $15 for each
15 minute increment or fraction thereof. Shows starting late may have to be shortened if there is another show
booked following your show.

2) Some events call for the performer to setup the props for the magic act and then delay the start of the performance
due to other acts on the program ahead of the magic. In these circumstances, the performer's time is billable
at a rate of $15 for each 15 minute increment or fraction thereof.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
They both look very resonable to me. I've been thinking about maybe adding something like that myself. A few weeks back I did a birthday show at a park. I set up under the shelter for the show. I had to wait for about 20 minutes extra waiting for everyone to arrive. Just as I'm about to start the show another group shows up that had reserved the shelter, turns out thses folks had no idea they were supposed to do that. So, I tear everything down, move to the other side of the park, set back up, and do the show. About the only good thing was they gave me a $10.00 tip.
Anyway, I do like your idea Michael.
Bob.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Thanks Bob. I see that you are in Eugene. I grew up in Portland. I really miss the area. There's no place like home.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are talking about $60 if you delay an hour. What is the hourly rate that you are charging them for the show? Your solution raises far more questions than provides solutions.

If I want you to stay an extra hour will the rate be $60?

These sorts of things tend to get people scared. Any time you have an agreement and you have to point to your contract and say "see it is right here" you have completely lost control of the situation. I think the part about the show being shortened and the cost not being less would solve the problem. But it is fairly easy to say you need X minutes to set up before the start time of your show. Make certain they take that into account at booking.

Tell EVERYONE you have gigs after theirs and the time must be adhered to when you book them. Thi
way it never comes up anynow.

I just think a $60 an hour price, when hopefully your show costs quite a bit more may not be such a great solution.

Actually less than that because the first 15 minutes is free. Plus are you going to charge $5 if they are 20 minutes late?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
My clients know the time at which I will have left the event, regardless of circumstances. I've had clients run late due to their own fault, and they understood that my show would be shorter than agreed upon accordingly. Be firm and up front. I would never charge additional per 15 minute increments. It just doesn't look good.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Joel Bauer discussed the idea of a late show start fee / wording in his contract, in his "Hustle Hustle" book. If you have that book on your bookshelf, have a look.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
School run on a definite schedule. They contract for a time period. --and only occasionally have I had a serious problem.

The first thing I ask of the principal when checking in, is: "What is the DEADLINE? What time must I be OFF. (Lunch time, school dismissal time, etc.) Then, it's up to me to finish on time.

Occasionally, the principal does not start me on time. If I have another booking, or, if the deadline must be observed. I edit the show. I discuss editing,and,padding, in my book.

I remember a specific situation where I was scheduled for an 8:30 AM program in a Senior High School. "Standard" program running time is/was 45 minutes. Principal had agreed to the time slot (8;30--9:15) when he signed the contract. But, he told me that he could not start until 9:00 AM. I had another high school 50 miles away, on rural roads, scheduled for 10:30. (I can set the program in 4 minutes, and tear down and pack in 2 minutes, but, traffic, parking and moving in, and out, eats up time. I explained to him that I needed to be leaving the school, no later thatn 9:20. He was adamant. He started me at 9:00, I "bowed off" at 9:16, and was in the RV at 9:20. The students were disappointed,but, it would not have been fair to the second school to be late. There was a traffic problem, but,I arrived at the second school, and moved in at 10:20. I had 5 minutes to "catch my breath"! We started on time. --And, finished on time (11:15) to meet the second school's (11:20 Lunch).

It's SHOW BUSINESS! 2/3 of that term is BUSINESS!

In the "off season", I would occasionally, book a birthday party (or similar date). I always stressed the time "slot", and never had any serious problem. (Birthday type shows had NO set up time! I could open the case and start. Ditto, NO packup time! I closed the case,and left! The birthday party show was 30 minutes, and used "grab it, and, do it" props. (I learned early to be an itinerant mountebanc!)

I agree with Danny Doyle!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Thanks everyone. Yes my fee is more that $60/hr...lol. Yes, I don't want the contract to be off putting but want them to understand the time constraints. I appreciate the comments about handling the client starting late.

Can you comment about when you need to set up and do you mic check etc before their full program begins? This is not a situation where they just start the show later than the agreed upon time. What consideration do you give to your wait time between when you complete your setup and the time it takes for them to finally allow you to start? I just think that it is unprofessional for me to wait for the stage to clear and then I start my setup and mic check while the audience is sitting there.

Thanks again.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Get there prior to the program start.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am often asked to perform as part of a larger event. I always make clear up front what my needs are as far as that goes. I can set up and put a screen in front of me and my stuff while another act clears, and that usually works. Once I had to chase another performer away from my stuff though and I needed to be polite since the audience was right their watching. I just said in a nice voice, "Easy guy, I am going to need that." He took the clue and left it alone.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Thanks Cliff. That's a viable and creative solution.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
The simple solution is to have stated in your contract
my show is very popular and most days I have more then one show. it is imperative that we start on time.
if delay of start time is needed we may have to alter the show accordingly at my discretion

here is what my tech rider states. ( I send both a contract and a tech rider for shows other then a private party)
Sam arrives 90 minutes prior to shows start time so that he will be ready to begin his spectacular show at the agreed start time (see contract), however host must be aware if you request to delay shows start time that in some situations he may have to alter the show accordingly at his discretion.

i must also say that I schedule most of my shows to have plenty of time for situations that may arrise as well as I charge enough that waiting 15-20 minutes is no big deal.

my school shows are different it is I that have to make sure I am ready to go on time as schools run on a very strict schedule and many times the room I am performing in is also the lunch room. or I am up against dismissal so I have to be aware of my time.
with schools I always ask before the show starts what is my deadline time. meaning what time no matter what I need to be done by.
i then perform my show accordingly.
if they took too long to sit the kids then its up to me to reduce the time of my show to fit the time constraints they require.

but my over all fear is that if you start throwing out delay start time fees that would be a bit of a turn off to me.
really how often does it happen that you need to have a clause and fee for this.

that's just my feelings

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Yeah... Late starts are a killer when you have more than one show booked in a day.

My contract says we have to start within 15 minutes of the agreed time. Any delay beyond that results in a shorter show.

Brian Happie mentioned a great solution for this in one of his emails.... Respond with "We can start whenever you want, I just have to leave by 3:00..." Let them realize on their own what that means.

With birthday parties I ask what time the party starts and push them to do the magic show 30 minutes after that. If the magic show is first in the activity lineup you will almost *always* end up starting late.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Thanks to all for the wisdom shared. I've adjusted accordingly.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I don't think I've ever done an after dinner banquet/corporate event that started on time.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Jerskin wrote:
I don't think I've ever done an after dinner banquet/corporate event that started on time.

I agree
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Jerskin wrote:

I agree

Same here. That's goes for corporate, college, theaters, and most private events. I book my schedule with that in mind if I have multiple events in one day. And as I mentioned before, I let the client know in advance what time I'll be out the door due to scheduling.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well I agree it can become a problem if you have another show scheduled too closely or a plane to catch or a tight travel schedule, but there is another side to this situation. There are many times when delaying the start of the show or having it start late works to our advantage.

Much of the feeling and perceptions towards this issue depend on the level of performer and the markets your work. I can see kids performers that schedule multiple events in multiple locations in the same day, having an issue with this. Where as someone working a cruise ship, corporate event or theater venue may not share the same perspectives. Schools as stated, also can be different.

There are a variety of circumstances where I don't mind or even prefer this happening can benefit everyone involved and be a win-win sitution.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
True that... Corporate events are a different beast entirely...

The difference is the pay range... Birthday party engagements are low-pay so you have to do a multitude of them to make a living. Corporate pays better, but you're not going to be doing multiple events.

Not all customers are equal. I have different contracts for different event types.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
On a cruise if the show starts late that means I do a shorter show since they have to go eat.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Delayed Show Start (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL