The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Novice Advice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Some great tips in this thread. As someone who is just starting out in mentalism, the idea of establishing what I am "all about" is a great tip. If I understand my narrative then my effects can be part of a cohesive story. At the moment I am falling in love with everything and trying them out so I am all over the place right now. I'll pare down later.

With respect to the 13 Steps in particular, the Memory System was just one thing that jumped out to me right away. I quickly tested it out with my family and, with little to no practice I achieved an 8/10 - which was far better than I could have imagined. After dinner I asked for 12 items and was able to get them perfectly. I am hoping, with practice, to work my way up to 30 items in no time. Having a simple effect like that, that requires no props or sleight of hand, is pretty cool.

On to the next chapter.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2014, yair61 wrote:
And I'll just say presentation presentation presentation.

Which comes down to practice practice practice!!

Ed
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Yeah man! I pretty much got hooked on mnemonics right away as well! Have fun and enjoy the ride and remember you don't need to learn them all today if you can get good at a few thing and do them well that's plenty to start blowing minds with. A lot of the card stuff in step 10 as well particularly the incredible slate test (I do it with dry erase boards). It plays huge! and its simple and direct so you can strictly focus on performance. enjoy!
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Bartlby,

Some good advice here. With regards mnemonics, they are wonderful as you are genuinely doing what you are claiming to be doing, and it is perfect mentalism as it is in your head and does not rely on any props.

Just a tip, I wouldn't go above 20 items. Any more would probably get quite dull and not really add anything to the effect.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2014, sjdavison wrote:
Hi Bartlby,

Some good advice here. With regards mnemonics, they are wonderful as you are genuinely doing what you are claiming to be doing, and it is perfect mentalism as it is in your head and does not rely on any props.

Just a tip, I wouldn't go above 20 items. Any more would probably get quite dull and not really add anything to the effect.

Simon

Ha! I was trying thirty simply because that was the example in the book. I appreciate hearing what actually works in real life.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2014, sjdavison wrote:
Hi Bartlby,

Simon

I go up to 30. In my opinion it's more amazing though you do not have to call every single object or whatever. Let one or more spectator test you mixed up. But that's just my dissent.

Regards

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I do 15 and it impresses all the time and then I do a fenali where I name all items in backwards order at a fast pace but not so fast they can't follow but it really does get a good reaction and an applause .
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi Prometheus,

That's what I love about this, different things work for different people!

If you like mnemonics and the 'organic' methods of mentalism (i.e no props and you can carry it around in your head) I would also recommend learning (along with the 'core' principles from 13 steps) learning some psychological forces and cold reading. Banachek's psychological subtleties and Ian rowland's work are also must haves once you have worn out the books you have!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hello Simon,

Yes, I agree with that. I read Rowland's book and the first volume of Banachek's psychological subleties already. This is mentalism how I like it, because it's as real as it can get. Also Building Blocks (Luke Jermay) is a great help in learning and understanding to use and make suggestions.

Cheers

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, sjdavison wrote:
While it may read or sound old fashioned or out of date, I can assure you that with a n***l w****r from step one and a c****e t**r from step six you will astound yourself, and the audience, with how powerful this is.

OMG. With just a NW...you can start new religions! I mean, stupidly simple...I almost passed it by, then I made up a crude one and tried it out. 1st use was devastating! I cannot imagine what you'll find with Osterlind's or Cassidy's books. I gotta get Corinda myself, first.

Doug
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Doug,

That is the beauty of mentalism. Simple is generally best. This is not magic, where fancy sleights are often favoured, often to show off. Any method that is simple and invisible is best, as it allows you to focus on the main aspect, presentation.

Simon.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Yeah take that to the bank! Presentation can literally be the difference between a a good trick and a bad trick.
CraigMcK
View Profile
New user
Only managed
50 Posts

Profile of CraigMcK
I've just been reading Mitox by Phil Smith. Really well written and some nice effects in it.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Man! I have an e-book. The Swami. I am GOBSMACKED at the uses for this thing! This is too good. Gotta tell a story. Stephen King told me once how he lays a story out. I worked for him for 6 years. He gets you to "that point"...then, "C'mon a little closer. Yeah, that's it! Just around this corner...WHAM!" I never forgot that...

Doug
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Love the swami and its cheep like 5 or 6 of em for 8 bucks
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
And you get like a stupid amount of leads with that as well.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Then there is thing thing called the C***** T**r. Not familiar with the uses of that. Gotta go through some books I have. This is amazing! So unlike "Magic"! People actually take you seriously!

Doug
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
247 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
For c***** t****, you can't go wrong with Richard Osterlnd's "Perfected...," Ran Pink's "T-Rex," or Bill Cushman's "The Dr.'s Billet...." All are wonderful in their own way. T-Rex and The Dr.'s.. also come with amazing info on routining and revealing. A lot of it also depends on your bi**et of choice.

Josh
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
247 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
For swami g*****ks or th*** wr***** I prefer the one's sold on Richard Osterlind's website. They are cheap and work very well, although its advised to strip the paint off first. He gives some great advice regarding these in his Penguin Lectures. I also really like Bob Cassidy's for stage or group work.

Josh
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am amazed at what I was able to accomplish just using a broken pencil and flesh-colored medical tape! I have known about this device for decades! It never really clicked until now...

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Novice Advice (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL