The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Novice Advice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
When you ask a question like this, you (obviously) will get a ton of responses. Everyone has their favorites, and will happily share. I do as well, but I'm not going to post mine.
Instead, I am going to recommend that you heed the advice of one of the greatest living mentalists when asked this question. The Mentalist I am referring to is Bob Cassidy, and he has a published list of what he considers the 39 most important books on Mentalism for a beginner - including the first book he considers a beginning Mentalist should start with.
You can find this list, and the reasons behind it HERE: http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Jay, welcome to the Café! Smile

Bob is a great guy! You nailed it with his 39 Steps...! I have the full run of The Jinx. I'll have to read it.

Doug
JayFredericks
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, WA
131 Posts

Profile of JayFredericks
Thanks Dougini! Long time lurker, short time poster! Ha!
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Mr. F wrote:
For c***** t****, you can't go wrong with Richard Osterlnd's "Perfected...," Ran Pink's "T-Rex," or Bill Cushman's "The Dr.'s Billet...." All are wonderful in their own way. T-Rex and The Dr.'s.. also come with amazing info on routining and revealing. A lot of it also depends on your bi**et of choice.

Josh

There is a whole section on this in Corinda. Is that not good enough for a beginner? Would you recommend someone new go look for these others?
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Mr. F wrote:
For swami g*****ks or th*** wr***** I prefer the one's sold on Richard Osterlind's website. They are cheap and work very well, although its advised to strip the paint off first. He gives some great advice regarding these in his Penguin Lectures. I also really like Bob Cassidy's for stage or group work.

Josh

I felt like I was part of an inner circle when I asked for one of these in the magic shop last week. The man behind the counter leaned forward a little and in a lowered voice asked what kind? "Swami" I answered. He came back with an non-descript box with a number of intriguing little devices. I was like a kid on Christman morning.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, bartleby wrote:
There is a whole section on this in Corinda. Is that not good enough for a beginner? Would you recommend someone new go look for these others?

Bob Cassidy does not recommend Corinda as a beginner's book. He states why in his 39 steps...

Doug
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Maxy
My first steps began with Richard Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles, it gave me good introduction and after I bought his 13 steps Dvds.
All his materials are good.
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
240 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, Maxy wrote:
My first steps began with Richard Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles, it gave me good introduction and after I bought his 13 steps Dvds.
All his materials are good.

You can't go wrong with Richard Osterlind. His effects and thinking are superb. As I've mentioned before, his Penguin Live Lectures are worth their weight in gold.
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, bartleby wrote:

Bob Cassidy does not recommend Corinda as a beginner's book. He states why in his 39 steps...

Doug

Right right. I get that and because of Bob's excellent article I own the full Jinx.

My question was more around that I myself own and am practicing the Corinda approach today. As a beginner, I was wondering if people felt I would be best to abandon that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism Novice Advice (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL