We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jobs to have in retirement (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
When my Dad retired, in order to fill his time he went to his hobies, and that is what I think a lot of people do. He also did some part time work for minimum wage (he did not really need the money) at a local library reading out loud to little children. He said he loved the work, and the kids loved him. Given that in his career he spent a lot of time talking to people, it was a good fit.

So here is the question... What are some good retirement jobs fom perhaps some higher profile occupations?

example: Should a retired nascar racer become a bus driver? What should a retired U.S. President do? etc.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Hey Cloff...it's not a job, but the hobby I'm loving is curling. If you're not doing anything Saturday night, I'll be in your neck of the woods, more or less. Orange County Curling Club in Westminster. Final week of playoffs; we have a game for the bronze.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
A bank job.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
A bank job.

Perhaps. But those retirees who are a bit more sedentary might find identity theft or computer fraud more satisfying. Everybody should have a hobby.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Collecting carts at the grocery store. I do it now just for FUN! I might have OCD...but I prefer CDO...because the letters have to be alphabetical order!

Mark
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Good luck Lobo, "slide a rock!" or what ever you might say to wish luck in curling.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Here is a good job to have in retirement: Magician. You can do it full time when you are not retired, but heck, why not do it as a job while you are in retirement as well? Might as well perform till the day you die.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
After he retired, for beer money, my dad used to turn fishing floats on a small lathe. He'd then paint them and hang them everywhere...I'd give anything to still be able to see them hanging out to dry now!
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:
What should a retired U.S. President do?

Show some ****ing contrition.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
I've known a few retirees who've taken jobs shuttling cars for dealerships. Lots of places take used cars to auction lots. A few hours of driving for some decent pay.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Ray Tupper. wrote:
After he retired, for beer money, my dad used to turn fishing floats on a small lathe. He'd then paint them and hang them everywhere...I'd give anything to still be able to see them hanging out to dry now!
Quote:

We won't know until he's replaced in a few more years, but I'd expect he's more likely to go on a five-figure-a-plate speaking tour.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Here's a prediction for you:

I predict that Barack Obama will become the first president since William Howard Taft to have served both as President and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow! That's a bold one.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wouldn't surprise me if he got a seat, but I'm going to say no on he CJ just because Roberts is so (relatively) young.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

Most of the wood turners I know are old guys, retired. There was a recent episode on PBS that showed a guy demonstrating and explaining making fishing lures. You get the feeling it was a skill acquired over many years.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Most of the wood turners I know are old guys, retired. There was a recent episode on PBS that showed a guy demonstrating and explaining making fishing lures. You get the feeling it was a skill acquired over many years.

It probably was. Most people don't appreciate how much work and skill goes into making seemingly simple things or things that don't seem like require a lot of skill. But appearances can be deceptive. I am sure you understand this being a magician given that creating conviction in false assumptions and beliefs and deception is our stock and trade. Some of the smallest and yet seemingly simple but mind blowing pieces of magic require months even years of practice and experience to do it well. Yet if you are not a magician, you wouldn't know and appreciate the hard work and skill and experience that goes into and is required to make and perform some of the smallest and seemingly simplest pieces of magic.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20972 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I predict that Barack Obama will become the first president since William Howard Taft to have served both as President and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

I hope Not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Give him a job he can't be fired from where he doesn't need help from any elected officials and you'd find out what real his thoughts on guns are in a hurry.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

We won't know until he's replaced in a few more years, but I'd expect he's more likely to go on a five-figure-a-plate speaking tour.

I thought he was talking about Bush.

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I hope Not.

It's just my prediction.

It's interesting, though, that when Taft was Chief Justice, Justice Felix Frankfurter commented to Justice Brandeis that it was "difficult for me to understand why a man who is so good a Chief Justice...could have been so bad as President."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jobs to have in retirement (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL