The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonicosis Justification (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
In Mnemonicosis, I ask the spectator to cut the deck anywhere but place the top portion face up on the table. Normally everyone will put it face down. So, how to ask/justify placing the cut packet face up? Please help!

Thanks.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just ask. It doesn't need justification. If you must, "cut and turn it over so every one can see where you cut to."
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Yes. (landmark is right on).
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, shakuni wrote:
In Mnemonicosis, I ask the spectator to cut the deck anywhere

Not necessarily. You can subtly direct your spectator to cut "about half," "a small group," or "a lot" depending on the location of the selection. I recall seeing a clip where Blaine has someone cut half the deck and then he cranes his head underneath apparently to see how many the spectator pulled off, but really to sight the cut card. (This works well if you're sitting and the assistant's standing.) Otherwise, a common tactic is to confidently instruct the spectator to turn the cards face-up. Regardless of what happens, you are to pretend the procedure's pre-written.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, landmark wrote:
Just ask. It doesn't need justification. If you must, "cut and turn it over so every one can see where you cut to."

That's what I usually say. I haven't had anyone question me.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, shakuni wrote:
In Mnemonicosis, I ask the spectator to cut the deck anywhere but place the top portion face up on the table. Normally everyone will put it face down. So, how to ask/justify placing the cut packet face up? Please help!

Thanks.

What I USED to do is I hold my hand out flat, and ask them to place all of the cards that they cut into my hand. I take these cards and put them into the card box, and I peek at the bottom card. If the peeked card occurs BEFORE the named card, just keep the rest of the stack on the table and finish Mnemonicosis. If it occurs AFTER the named card, I give the cased packet of cards to someone else and improvise.

I now do this: I ask them to cut...lets say 1/4th of the deck, and I hold my hand out flat. I pinch the packet that they cut between my fingers and move my hand up and down as if weighing the cards. When the cards are up, I peek at the bottom card. I then explain that their cut wasn't 1/4th of the deck, but it doesn't matter how much they cut. I then proceed with Mnemonicosis. If their named card is in the packet I am holding, I give it to someone else to continue the routine. If their named card is in the rest of the stack on the table, I just put the 1/4th of the deck in the case.

All of this must be done without hesitation.

Zack
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
The whole point of Mnemoniosis is for you to never touch the cards. Asking for the cards so you can turn them over and peek is a bad idea IMO.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2014, Doug McKenzie wrote:
The whole point of Mnemoniosis is for you to never touch the cards. Asking for the cards so you can turn them over and peek is a bad idea IMO.

I definitely agree with you Doug! (I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name)

That IS the most important element of Mnemonicosis. The fact that the magician never touches the deck is what makes Mnemonicosis powerful.

Shakuni explained that he needed a justification for peeking, and I gave my not-as-powerful alternate presentation. Smile

The tradeoff for the peek is diminishing the effect of Mnemonicosis. It's up to Shakuni to use this version or not.

This isn't the version that I normally perform. IMO, no justification is necessary, so I simply perform the original version outlined in Mnemonica, which is more direct.

Thanks for your post,

Zack. Smile
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
421 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Using a marked deck with Mnemonica can work wonders in some situations!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonicosis Justification (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL