The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE INFORMANT BY BOBBY MOTTA (mentalism wallet) (75 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
At the very least, YouTube videos that show the workings of effects should be unlisted- only accessible to those who have the link and NOT by casual surfers. And if the link is posted on a password protected site, that is even better.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I haven't been following this too closely but didn't this issue come up with the Telethought wallet teaser as well?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
I haven't been following this too closely but didn't this issue come up with the Telethought wallet teaser as well?

The exact same goes for the Nomad. I have used it hundreds of times now and nobody has ever even come close to the method
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 30, 2014, Cassidy001 wrote:
Quote:

The exact same goes for the Nomad. I have used it hundreds of times now and nobody has ever even come close to the method

Are you saying that public exposures on YouTube are fine then? (I really don't think you're saying that.)
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying that public exposures on YouTube are fine then? (I really don't think you're saying that.)

I agree that exposure to magic is very sad for those that love the art and have worked hard to perfect their craft and to entertain and enjoy.

When I got into magic many years ago it was because I adored magic from being very young and being enthralled watching magicians. Now call me old fashioned if you want, but what attracted me most was that one day I wanted to become part of a magic society where only magician know what other magicians know, and when joining a magic society or the magic circle you signed a declaration to secrecy and this is what keeps the art of magic surviving. We might not be able to stop technology, internet, youtube etc. But if you want to protect the art that we love then we have to value it and it is up to us to morally support our magical art by speaking out against Exposure and discouraging it. This is only my opinion and hopefully others.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Graham-

I'll happily call you "old fashioned." So am I. I totally agree with you.

Good thoughts,

Bob "Old School" Cassidy
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Thank you Bob. (Mastermindreader)

You are a gentleman and scholar and legend to the art of magic. Thank you so much for your contribution and literature to our profound art.

Best Wishes

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No just trying to remember other blatant video exposure(s). There's never a reason to show the workings publicly. Nomad was another one.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am absolutely not saying it is ok. I have just been lucky over the years using a product that was exposed. The product was a great idea and it was exposed but luckily nobody either knew what to look for or just didn't care to know the secret because they were being entertained. I hope that it has always been the entertainment aspect. I hate that we are being exposed. I refused to watch the Masked Magician out of disgust and I can't stand You Tube reveals. I did still take a chance on the Nomad though and haven't regretted the decision. I am taking a chance on the Informant and will hope for the best. I didn't mean to make you think that I was in support of exposure.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I didn't think you were- but since your name is Cassidy I had to be sure! Smile
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:

Exactly. Probably because when you perform it you don't say "BTW, this trick is called Nomad". Right? So it's really hard IMHO to claim that it was exposure...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
UK stockists?
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1163 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
I just got an early peek at the instructional part of this and Bobby has come up with some really slick ways to get the peek that I never thought of. You can tell this guy is a worker!
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
For most of us the issue has more to do with the growing pains of buying magic on the web as compared to the old days of brick and mortar shops. In both cases, magic "tricks" should NEVER be exposed to the buyer until the secret has been purchased. But with "utility" items such as a wallet it was quite common to be able to view/handle them in shops to better help with your decision. The difficulty that online stores have today is knowing who their paying customers are and their commitment to the art. When you walked into a magic shop years ago, the person behind the counter generally knew who the pros were compared to the casual hobbyist. The next logical step for online stores is to figure out how they can register paid performers so that they could get a sneak peek (no pun intended) at certain accessory items behind the curtain so to speak.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, Luke Dancy wrote:
I just got an early peek at the instructional part of this and Bobby has come up with some really slick ways to get the peek that I never thought of. You can tell this guy is a worker!

Is it still set to ship on Wednesday (8 October 2014)?

Tony
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
So, Jared, greats such as Milt Kort and John Ramsey would be denied benefits you say should be given only to paid performers?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Ray,
I'm not necessarily saying respected performers well-known within the community should be denied. Your taking my post to the letter rather than getting the gist of the overall concept. To avoid a pointless dispute let's just say performers who are more than just your casual hobbyist.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2014, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:

... People like Mastermindreader, my advice would be to stop worrying about what laymen do in their personal time and concentrate on trying to be an okay magician..... you'r obviously not confident in yourself as a performer for spectators not to suspect you have to rely on a dodgey wallet prop to read minds.

LOL! The managers of some of the top venues in the country would probably disagree with you.

You ARE totally new to magic, aren't you?

But, again, thank you for contributing to the trivialization of the art. Cash in while you can.

LOL!!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jared, I don't engage in pointless disputes. It just bothers me that a lot people think that only paid performers are good magicians, that if you were a good magician, you'd be out there making money at it, which is clearly not the case. So your idea of somehow having a registry of magicians who are not just casual hobbyists is impractical, if not impossible.

John C, the guy, magicmarkworldwide2, already apologized, profusely, for a silly mistake. Is there any need to keep piling on?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Ray,
Again, not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers here. I just threw out a raw concept. If you have a better idea than please share. I agree to your point that you don't have to be a paid performer to be good. I don't know if there's a viable solution out there waiting in the wings, but we seem to both agree that secrets should be kept under wraps.

Cheers
Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » THE INFORMANT BY BOBBY MOTTA (mentalism wallet) (75 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL