The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » the haunted bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Has anyone heard of this effect, i was searching through my old box of tricks and forgot i had it. What quality ideas i can come up with for a bizarre rouine.
i obviously cant tell you the workings as its not my effect but it comes from
VIKING MFG. CO
i have an address but dont know if there still around. they actually say that they have a bizarre routine for it on a piece of parchment Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Viking is alive and well....just gained all the mfg. rights to GEM Magic Co. and produces some excellent machined items like the Spirit Key.

I'm uncertain which "Haunted Bottle" routine you're referring to... is it the old Imp bottle or a pendulum piece???

Can't explain anything until I know which gizmo you're referring to... Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
its the old imp bottle,
do they have a website?
thanx
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
You'll have to do a search... I know they had one years ago but I've not looked them up for a while... might check with Stevens Magic and see if they would be forthcoming on that info... they carry most all of the Viking line (including the Imp Bottle)

If I'm not mistaken, it was either Max Maven or Eugene Berger that put out a very cool routine using the Imp Bottle about 15 years ago or so... might be worth looking into. I think it's in a set of lecture notes???
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Viking still carrys it in black and natural colors.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Both Kenton Knepper and Docc Hilford have written routines based on this effect from old...Sign Of Fours is Docc Hilfords work and I think Impish Thoughts is Kenton's...

Just goes to show that practically ANY prop can be offered in a "Bizarre" manner...as long as you have "that look" in your eyes...
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Does "Creature" live in the "Imp Bottle"?
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
That's nice Jaz. Great idea.

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Actually mine is a spirit bottle where the last breath (and many believe hie eternal essence as well) is kept.
Sort of like a Canopic jar for the soul.
You can tell a full one as it will lay down upon its side whereas an empty one will not.
I keep my spirit guide Henri' in just such a container. He is the essence of a fourteenth century vintner who perished in a tragic cider press mishap.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
How big is the average Imp bottle ? Mine is 1 5/8 " tall, standard Fun Inc/Royal Magic brand. Seems terrribly small to do many effects with, although a poison bottle, as in Hilford's Sign of Four, (IMPending Doom) is a great idea for it, the only reason I bought one (as well as Tel-Vision).
It was easy to eliminate a lot of the normal talk you get with Tel-vision by putting felt inside the cube, but what's a good way to kill the talk in the Imp bottle ? It's darn near impossible to get the thing in quietly. There's not much room to spare, either.
I also need to paint them - for those who are paint experts, which would you recommend that I paint them with, acyrlic, or enamel ? Does it even make a difference ?

and hey, I'm one post away from 666 posts !! What happens when I hit 666 ? Do I get access to the top-secret Hell forum ? Does my status change from "Special User" (that reminds me of the Church-Lady.. well, isn't that special ?) to "Evil User " for a bit ?
Maybe I get special powers for a day and can send anyone here I don't like to meet their un-maker.. Muahahahaaaa !! Smile
ph34r m3 !!
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Darmoe,
I am curious about your mention of a "pendulum piece" in reference to a haunted bottle. Could you explain? I never heard of such an effect...but it sounds a little off the beaten path, and such things always arouses my curiosity.
Thanks!!!
Nicholas
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I got one today and was wondering if it could be dremmeled, and like mystician I would like to find a paint that would match, and has anyone ever sent off for the parchment???
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
This is an old thread! One of my favorite marketed routines usung the haunted bottle (prayer vase) is Mary Tomich's 'The Vase of Modus Heiroglyphica' Many of us also used this (and other bottles) as a pendulum, hence Craig's post (if Nicholas is still wondering). Her bottle was small and shaped somewhat like an imp bottle, but was cermaic. It could function as an imp bottle as well, so it was truly a haunted bottle. Smile

Tony
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you play around with the imp bottle you will discover that you can make it lie down (or not) with no gimmick. Waldo would be mystified by this. You can also make your own bottle for bizarre work or Wizard magic from Fimo Clay or a variety of other materials available at craft stores. Build them around a toy ball magnet weight and you also have a PK version that can work other wonders.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Does anyone use this effect???
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I believe the Viking Bottle mentioned was made of brass, and stood two to three inches high. Its working method is incredible. Last time I checked, they were no longer available. if this is the one you have, you are fortunate indeed!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The Viking model I have is made of ceramic, not brass.

The method used is not the usual "slum magic" technique!
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
There's a nice handling, no gimmick, in "The Busch Factor". Unfortunately it won't work with the cheap flat-bottomed bottle that I bought.

Barry
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Barry, add to and reshape the bottle. THis can be done with certain japanese ball bud vases available on e-bay
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
The Viking bottle that I have is made of wood. About 4" tall.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » the haunted bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL