The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » 4 kings 4 queens 4 jacks 4 aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acediamonds
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of acediamonds
I made up a card trick but then realized that there are some variations of this already. I did not know that when I made it up though.
It goes like this. I pull out the 4 kings 4 queens 4 aces and the 4 jacks. I then divide them into 4 families consisting of a K a Q a A and a J of the same suit. I pull the cards together.
I have the spectator cut the cards as many times as they want. I say that they don't like the families so they are trying to cut the families up. I deal them into 4 piles of 4 cards and there are 4 k in one 4 q in the other etc.
I then say that the 4 k 4 q etc. are trying to fight the spec off, but they can still cut the families up again. I pull them together and have the spectator cut them again as many times as they want.
I deal them out again. There are again 4 families of the same suit together again.
I just want to know anyones thoughts about it. And also how original it is. Smile
D
I
ACE
M
O
N
D
S
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That sounds pretty original to me. But I'm not what you would consider an expert. Anybody else here have a more informed opinion?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I read this effect in a Bob Longe book, but the story had to do with four families in a boat being tossed around on a choppy sea, then they all end up together again on an island.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
I'm not an expert, either, but I do have some information for you. A trick similar to this was marketed in 1919. It was by Charles T. Jordan and was entitled "Like Seeks Like." The effect was reprinted in Charles T. Jordan: Collected Tricks (pp. 87-88) and later in Hugard's revision of the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (p. 344). In the Jordan effect, the jack, queen, king, and ace of each suit were placed into four separate hats. Then, after a magical gesture, the hats were emptied and all the aces were found in one hat, all the kings in another, etc.

Vernon published a method for the Jordan effect in Ten Card Problems that eliminated the hats and brought the trick to the realm of close-up magic.

I've paraphrased, above, data contained in Minch's Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Vol. 1, pp. 65 and 280. By the way, the aforementioned books contains two excellent variations of "Like Seeks Like."
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Quote:
On 2004-01-25 21:46, Firedice27 wrote:
I read this effect in a Bob Longe book, but the story had to do with four families in a boat being tossed around on a choppy sea, then they all end up together again on an island.

I read the same thing, but it wasn't in a Longe book.
Blake S.
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
This was the first trick I learned, when I was 8. I have this effect described in my oldest magic book, printed in 1859 ("The Secret Out, or 1000 Tricks with Cards"). That book is supposed to be a rip-off of an even older one printed in France. There are variations on this effect with more cards included there as well. I have spoken with magicians from all over the world (Spain, Australia, Asia, etc.) who know it "from way back", usually taught by an uncle or grandfather.
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This is the routine I most often see when someone asks if they can show me a trick.

It usually has a risque patter and takes place in a hotel.

Though it is simple it still can play well with the

right patter.

As they say most of us re-invent things.

You are on the right track.

I used to get discouraged when I heard jokes I wrote on T.V. Then People would think I "copied them".

An example was my use of a hat from a rabbit puppet, prior to seeing Harry Anderson doing it on a TV Special.

Now I realize we all draw from the same collective
unconcious. (whatever that means....mini lol)

Be safe and continue to create.

You might check out Cameron's book, The Artist Way.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » 4 kings 4 queens 4 jacks 4 aces (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL