We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I know what they meant, but still . . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Today I came across a device that uses one pint of water (which goes down the drain after use). It's label read that it saves 88% more water than 1-gallon <devices>.

I'm pretty sure that they meant that it uses 88% less water, which makes sense: 1 pint is ⅛ (12.5%) of one gallon. But that's not remotely what they wrote, and what they wrote is just plain weird: you cannot compare (as a ratio) how much is saved until you know how much water a 1-gallon device "saves". Compared to what? (Apparently a 1-gallon device saves one gallon, and a 1-pint device, therefore, saves 1⅞ gallons, or 88% more. So they're comparing them to a 2-gallon device which, as far as I know, doesn't exist.)

People write (and say) the goofiest things.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
As long as they don't write 'would of' instead of 'would've', I can keep my cool.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5136 Posts

Profile of landmark
Okay, so I'll bite: what was the device (assuming you can print this in a family website)?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
What I think is funny about this type of mistake in a commercial product is that several people were involved: the engineering people, the marketing people, the copywriter, the supervisor, the proofreader, and so forth. Not just one person.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
So you think that the misuse of language in a commercial setting was unintentional?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
That's a good point. Could go either way.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, 0pus wrote:
So you think that the misuse of language in a commercial setting was unintentional?

Probably. Happens all the time.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree. This one seems particularly easy to go unnoticed. Most folk's eyes aren't as sharp as Bill's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It was probably written by an idiot, but it may have been left to be by other checkpoints for the love of buzz words ("Saves" is a biggie), with a belief that it would likely fly under the radar. Ad copy is often the birthplace of words that don't exist, so why not entire concepts? The fabrication department is working overtime. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I don't agree. I think the misuse is intentional. A 1 pint device uses 88% less water than a 1 gallon device. But "uses . . . less" is a negative message. "Saves . . . more" is a positive message. "Saves" is good; "more" is better than "less."
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
This puts me in the mind of an old Barney Miller show. One of the sub-plots was the arrest of a man who was tearing down advertisements (I think it was in a subway) because the copy abused the English language. An executive from the advertising agency responsible for the ad copy came to the squad room to press vandalism charges against the man. The man excoriated the ad exec for adulterating the language with made up words. The man especially faulted the ad for Kosher pickles for saying that they were the “crun, crun, crunchiest.” The man said, “Why don’t you just say that they are the Ko, Ko, Kosherest?” The ad exec thought about that for a moment, and (with a Eureka! look on his face) said, “Ko, Ko, Kosherific!”
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
As I always tell my kids,

"Listen to what I mean, not what I say."
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It's that whole pints and gallons nonsense. Sensible people who measure in liters don't have these problems Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
King Size, Family Size, Jumbo Size - they have been using misleading made-up phrases forever.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I know what they meant, but still . . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL