We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spellchecker and auto correct. Good tools or pain in the hind parts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Since having been "retired by circumstance" lets call it many years ago often oddly enough spelling comes less easily. I usually ignore it (And since all the internet jargon of late it hides really well!) and when I have business stuff I never do it myself.

So funny when I started performing soon after it happened I had a line in promo stuff that was "Take an all expanse paid trip through the human mind". OK not being able to afford anyone at the time it came out "though" the human mind. Even used the old proof reader trick of reading it backwards one word at a time so there is no context. Though is a word!

Flash forward decades to spellchecker and auto correct and predictive text and add gorilla fingers and I am better off just going it on my own! All those devices force me to do is read the thing 5 times before I post it. Hard as it is to imagine some are worse than if I just did them myself!

OK feelings or thoughts on this idiotic topic?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I am a fairly good speller, not spelling bee level, but good enough. I take pride in doing it correctly, and feel it is a common courtesy to the reader. That being said, I do like spellchecker, and wish others would adopt its simplicity and convenience. There are times however, when I will deliberately misspell a word, usually as part of jargon, or whatever. Spellchecker will always alert me, but I still have the option to just overlook it. It's at least, a bit less irritating than "Clippy".

On the other hand, auto-correct is like some irritating little sh** running through the room, knocking down what I've just built. It's like someone adding ingredients to a recipe when my back is turned... it's like someone grabbing the wheel when I'm driving... it's like a crappy tag artist painting graffiti on my freshly painted house.

Does that express my feelings well enough?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Both...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Depends on how well it allows addition and deletion to its suggestion list
And whether the auto correct feature cones with a review-before-commit action

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5136 Posts

Profile of landmark
I like using a spell checker. I never have it on auto, but always have it set to underline misspelled words. My typing is lousy, so it's useful.

That said, I still have to pay attention, and there are times when the spell checker does not recognize an easy word.

But yes, misspellings in a professional context are a turn off for me. The person or service loses credibility in my eyes.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I use spell check, but still review/read the post before submitting. It is a nice tool, but it can also turn your mind to mush if you depend upon it. I'm working on a couple of story projects and I have purchased a few resource books to assist me. Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need, and The Elements of Style. Someone I work with scoffed at my buying the thesaurus; seeing that the same information is available for free online and is included on MS Word.

I purchased the books to become financially committed to the project. In comedy they refer to it as investing skin. I have also recently paid a $100 consulting fee to a subject matter expert who will be providing background research material.

What really irks me isn't the spell check zombies, but rather the Google Degree's. I see on a regular basis people taking online courses and who are using Google during exams to answer the test questions. Because of that I don't give Online Degree's much regard. Why bother to learn anything if there is an application or webpage that will do it for you?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People who use Google as life experience drive me nuts as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
"Take an all expanse paid trip through the human mind".

Did "exanse" still slip through?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It did this time. See my point?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Roger's Thesaurus is a better read than Roget's Thesaurus.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It certainly makes a better story.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Its a PITA.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I donut ues spell chkrrs I donut feel theyre is a nead for thme. Your vary may mileage. Smile Also I donut poof raed their si no nead to.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Smile
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3652 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Spellcheck is a Godsend for a dyslexic but I do choose which word I meant and sometimes even check the dictionary, I.E., wether, weather and whether are very different.

Auto correct seems like you are setting yourself up for a problem.

Why should anyone bother to read a post or email that you don't care enough about to see if you are actually saying what you meant?

The occasional oversight is OK but it does bug me when others think their time is more important than mine (said the Gal with 2519 posts. LOL).

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spellchecker and auto correct. Good tools or pain in the hind parts? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL