The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Topit in a non suit jacket? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you can have a topit installed in. Will a regular zip up jacket work or must it be a suit jacket/blazer?

Thanks

Oliver
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Topits have been installed in just about every garment known to man. Not mumus as far as I know, but everything else.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Buy the latest book of Michael Ammar and you will find all the answers!
tony555
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tony555
Any views on Thom Petersons topit a go go
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22840 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A casual zipper jacket and a dress casual sport jacket is 2 different animals. Dress jackets have a lot of inner padding and filler to keep the jacket looking wrinkle free and form fitting. A zipper windbreaker type jacket usually only has a thin lining or no lining at all. Thus it flops about and wrinkles and shows all bulges and lumps and can even show the path of an item.

You can certainly put a Topit in a zipper jacket, but it will not open and move as described for your body movements. It may also not have the Topit where it is suppose to be simply because of all the crushable wrinkles in flimsy single layer fabric.

I think if you would have given your question a little thought and pulled out your jacket, the answer would have been obvious to you.

Having said that, you can take your zipper jacket to professional tailor and have them install inner padding and linings that will make the jacket stay in shape more easily. The best type of zipper jacket to do this to is one without the elastic at the bottom edge and at the bottom of the sleeves. A good Tailor should not charge you any more then $500 for the alterations. I suggest you buy 2 or 3 of the same jacket, as you could wear one often, then when you plan to use your Topit, wear the tailored jacket. Also no one stays the same size of time, so you may want to have one a size larger for those times you have gained and lost weight.

Hope this helps you with your thoughts on casual dress and a Topit.
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
Never worked with a toppit before so it was just a question to see if it would be worth getting one, but I don't wear a suit jacket often enough for it to be a useful and worthwhile investment
Oberon_Puck
View Profile
New user
The Berkshiers
28 Posts

Profile of Oberon_Puck
If you buy a jacket with a lining, easily had, you can instal a topit no problem. Once you get one installed and get the practice in, it works easy enough, no need for 500$ dollars at a tailor or anything silly. That said if your not handy with needle and thread it might be worth you time to have a tailor install it in your jacket, but if that runs you more that 30$-40$ I'd walk away, as your tailor is probably gouging you.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5359 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A jacket is not even all that necessary. Dan Slyvester designed a clever version that appears to be a shirt. You don't need a tailor to install anything. A little research will show you that a very workable version can be made to simply safety pin into place (check out Patrick Page's work on this).

I used to use a hair-net safety pinned into a sports coat and even used a bandana safety pinned into place under a sports coat as a Toppit. I mainly used a Pat Page Toppit for a few years. The pin in type have limitations that are addressed by many (but not all) sewn-in designs. Michael Ammar studdied the toppit and put out argueably the best design to date. It does require a tailor or skilled seamstress to install. Ammar's design is perhaps the Rolls-Royce of Toppit designs. You can unload from the outside.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Topit in a non suit jacket? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL