The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » DVDs -vs- Downloads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I'm not sure if this has been addressed anywhere in the Café before. I did a search and found nothing so I thought I'd post this to see what the responses might be.

More and more magic videos are being sold through downloadable videos rather than DVDs. I've noticed some sites give you a choice of either but most new magic creators seem to be going the way of downloads. One young creator told me downloads were his preference because of the ease of making a download versus a DVD.

So here is the question:
When purchasing magic material of these two formats (downloads & DVDs) which do you prefer and why?

I'll start it off by saying as a buyer of magic I prefer DVDs as they are a tangible and re-sellable. In the event that the effect does not agree with my style I could re-sell it and purchase something else that would be a better fit.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Prefer DVDs. Even with software I like having a hard copy. I'm just not comfortable in the "cloud-only" digital world. I still like to watch things on my television and I'd rather have a DVD handy instead of having to hook up my computer to the TV.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Just checking to make sure.... out of 59,514 registered members only 2 have an opinion about this topic?
I would've thought more people would have had a preference of one over the other when it comes to DVDs vs downloads.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
civins
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
128 Posts

Profile of civins
I prefer dvd.
Is better to watch something on my large screen TV, than a download on my phone.
med_doc7
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of med_doc7
I believe that I may be in the minority but I actually prefer downloads because I can store it on my hard drive and back it up. I don't have to worry about losing the DVD as I have lost a few DVDs in the past when we have relocated and they got lost in the move. With a download, I can make a DVD of anything that I want if I chose to do so. Plus, I don't have to worry about storing the DVD. I recognize that I am in the minority.
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
I like both options. I sway more toward DVDs because I do like to watch them on TV, but DLs come in handy when I'm out of town or just away from the house and don't want to (or can't ) pack a bunch of DVDs. Additionally, if I just want to reference something real quick on the fly, DLs come in handy here as well. Also, depending on where you buy the DL from, you can DL it as many times as you like to as many platforms as you like. Although I prefer DVDs, DLs are very useful.
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Profile of somethingupmysleeve
I always like to have a DVD (somehow feels like I'm getting more for my money!), however I do like being able to watch DL's on my phone/tablet wherever I like. I commute via public transport for about an hour into work each day, and enjoy being able to watch the downloads. I'm also quite impatient, so it's nice to be able to watch an instant download rather than wait for the DVD to arrive!
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
DVD's because... they look awesome on a shelf in a long pretty row. Smile

Brian
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, B. Edwards wrote:
DVD's because... they look awesome on a shelf in a long pretty row. Smile

Brian

I second this! I prefer DVDs. I like to be able to see it in my collection and whenever I need resources, I will just head to my shelf. I have many things on my computer so it is pretty hard to find some downloads if they are not named properly.
Kuzushi
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Kuzushi
I vote for DVDs as well. There is just something about beign able to physically see and feel the product that I prefer. Silly human attachment to tactile sensations I reckon.
Houdiniemals
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Houdiniemals
I prefer downloads...the only major advantage of DVDs is that you can resell them (in my personal opinion)
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I currently prefer dvd's but I haven't had consistent internet access so that may play a part in it. I think I could switch to prefer downloads though. I don't have enough space for my dvds and not having to switch dvds is also nice. So I prefer dvds mainly because I like having the physical copy, but I can see my preference changing in the future.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I prefer both. There are more items offered in both DVD and cloud forms. With the online one, I can download and watch it anytime, at the same time I can keep the DVD tucked in nicely in its case in my shelves that serves as my personal collection.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » DVDs -vs- Downloads (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL