The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bowl A Rama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Had this for a number of years now, and it finally happened, the ball finally broke. I'm having difficulity finding a Black Ball of the right weight. A couple of questions. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find a Black Ball, or, in the alternative, is anyone using a different colored Ball?
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
The proper weight ball is 6 pounds.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello close-up,

Did you try to contact Kevin James, the inventor of this effect or the shop wher you purchased the prop ?

Otherwise I would suggest to contact a bowling ball company who sells all the products. You might find the right size, weight and color.

Good luck,

Oliver.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Check your local bowling lanes.. they have the balls for children. these get old and chipped, I have a friend that owns a bowling alley in Michigan.... they have the wore out items in back including pins as well. call them and if one says no try the others someone will help you. let them know it is for a magical effect... this will get them curious and will excite them to help you. best of luck
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I've been able to find 6# balls at most of my area's bowling alleys. Problem is none of the alley's have Black Balls. I have also checked the net, no Black ball to be found. Is anyone using a colored ball other than Black?

Has anyone tried painting a Black ball a different color? If you have, what spray paint did you use?
RoyHarper
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of RoyHarper
Maybe try an auto/body shop. Have them call you the next time they paint a black car.
I've lucked up a couple of times with props doing this.

Roy
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
It is odd the the ball on the pad is white... but ball produced is Black... no one really notices... so I say go with what ever color you wish.... I believe the appearance is so strong no one notices... or do you think black ball just because of Black out line,,, if so,,, then outline with another color marker if you need to..... wow this is getting Deep.lol... have fun.
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
As a layman seeing the trick for the first time. the color did not come across my mind at all.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I never thought about it, but Chris is right! The ball you draw is the color of the pad, which is usually white. I wouldn't worry about color. Back in the day, all bowling balls were black. Now it's hard to find a black one, other than those that the alleys own. So I wouldn't worry about color. I have seen them at Goodwill, you might try there.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Check out a local thrift store. I found a 10 lb. green ball with a bag for a whopping $3.
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
Check local bowling lanes...they usually replace the old black rubberized balls in favor of newer acrylic balls. As for painting, I went to my local lanes in July to get a ball to make a "ball and chain" for a trick. Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint + Primer works well. I used the Flat Black. Can be found at any Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Hope this helps.
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
martinimerlin
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of martinimerlin
Have a question on Bowl A Rama. I've been performing it for years, but have a show coming up where I'll be on a dance floor...the portable floor in sections. I've never dropped the ball on this type of surface, having always dropped it on real stages or on the portable staging platforms found in hotels. I'm concerned about the ball damaging the portable dance floor. If anyone has had experience dropping the ball on such a surface, please let me know. As for the earlier posts about the color of the ball. I've never used a black ball. I use a bright green ball...shows up much better than a black ball.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I admit that I've not yet added this to my act, but I recall someone suggesting using a mat such as those used in kitchens to avoid fatigue while standing long hours. By dropping the ball on this, you may lose some of the sound, but will also lessen potential damage to the stage.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I can only suggest that if a person is dropping a bowling ball so hard that it is fracturing the ball until it breaks apart, you are doing it to hard. There is no need to damage the stage, home's floors, or the ball to prove the ball is real and solid.

Isn't this were common sense and logic should come into play. And don't think that if you damage floors you are not liable, because you are. You owe them a complete new floor or stage.

So make sure you have insurance.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi friends, Doug here.

Has anyone thought of this? Or am I the only genius here (LOL)? If dropping a 6-10 lb bowling ball on a dance floor damages it, what happens to it FULL of people jumping, cajoling and sliding across it? It's not balsa wood! Smile

Doug
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Dropping it on concrete will crack it.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I always put a board on the grand .. especially when on tile or concrete. It would make more dramatic production as well as protect the ball and floor.

Dan.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2018, Dougini wrote:
Hi friends, Doug here.

Has anyone thought of this? Or am I the only genius here (LOL)? If dropping a 6-10 lb bowling ball on a dance floor damages it, what happens to it FULL of people jumping, cajoling and sliding across it? It's not balsa wood! Smile

Doug

So you are comparing a bowling ball to people feet. A bowling ball get dropped or in some cases I have seen the person puts some extra energy on the ball because they want it to be louder. Remember the surface of the ball that hits the floor is concentrated to a smaller point. a person's foot covers a larger area, thus reduces the shock the floor is taking.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3511 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
[quote]On Nov 1, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
... A bowling ball get dropped or in some cases I have seen the person puts some extra energy on the ball because they want it to be louder....

LOL, I pictured a magician spiking the bowling ball and doing a touchdown dance like an NFL football player does after scoring.
pattrick
View Profile
Loyal user
maumee, ohio
226 Posts

Profile of pattrick
I bring a board with two slim pieces glued to the bottom to create a sleight space between the floor and the board. It keeps the ball from cracking, saves the floor, and sound even better. I also use a red ball and color the inside of the picture with a red marker.
check out www.pattricksmagic.com for the best in close up pads and tables.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Bowl A Rama (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL