The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Does anyone use other wand types other than the black with white tips? I am thinking of using something more to my personality like a variation of Sirius Black's. Does anyone else do this and how does it do for yourdo performance?
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I made a wand from a tree branch that I use. It is stained dark brown with copper tips.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Cool... I am thinking of using branch, putting runes on it and dark stain. In the end it will look much like Sirius Black's with the tapered look.
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Lots of wand variations. See RNT2's website for a range of those available. Some people use drum sticks and even sharpies!

Hudson
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I use a Sharpie most of the time as a wand is just a tool of misdirection (for the most part). However, that being said, If the wand is part of your character or theme then go with what works. I say I use a Sharpie "Most" of the time because I do have a nice smaller black wand with brass tips that came with my leather chop cup set that I occasionally like to use and I also am working on a cups and balls routine with a baseball theme that uses hard plastic red solo cups (as the cups) 1" baseballs with real baseball finals - the kicker... my wand is a 17" mini bat. Smile I have even worked out a variation of the VWS with the bat instead of a wand.

A wand is what it is to you, as long as it misdirects and fits your persona, go for it. (I love an old Harry Potter or Merlin type wand) they just don't fit "me"
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Mine is a "close-up" wand, rosewood with brass tips, from Paul Howard Pro Magic in the UK. He carries a wide variety.

http://www.paul-howard-pro-magic.co.uk/magic_wands.html

Barry
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Bookmarked
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Made mine from a Pecan limb high winds blew down.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Befpre he died, Tabman made me a "California Street Wand" -- plain wood with spent brass bullet shells on he ends. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The best wand I probably ever owned (twice, and gave both away as parts of trades) was the Michael Ammar Mercury Wand. Unfortunately, I don't see it on his site right now. It is a perfectly balanced wand and the grip is excellent. It is basically an extruded aluminum rod with heat shrink (like electricians use) over all but the tips. It spins perfectly, balance is superb and looks the way a "coat and top hat" magicians wand should. I imagine they are just out of stock. He just got a run of "Fab Fruit" final loads in so he could have run out. Keep checking back or contact the site by email. They may not get back to you within 24 hrs but they will. I have dealt with them on several occasions. http://www.ammarmagic.com/
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The Ammar site is still carrying the wands, they are just out of stock right now. That happens more often than you would think but it is for the very same reason that Poof pointed out - they are so well made, very elegant, very well-balanced and for all their simplicity, they are beautiful wands.

I have a very large collection of wands made of different materials because not only do I find them fascinating and intriguing, but each one of those is or has been used by one of my characters in various acts. Even in my formal corporate shows, I still use a wand but that particular wand is a two-piece purpleheart wood wand with weighted nickel ends.

Another guy that makes wands but is better known for his coin work is Roy Kueppers - www.roykueppers.com - He makes some very nice wands and does do custom wand making as well.

Our very own member Michael Baker of The Magic Company used to make them and they looked fantastic, I just wished I could convince him to start making them again!

Moonlight Magic makes the wands for RnT2 but off-hand I am not sure what the Moonlight Magic web address is - it is not what you think it would be either.
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
Got great links, more than I found on a Google search. Thank you
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Not sure if this would be a bit "out there" or not, but I see a lot of these types of wands in occult/pagan shops, they're mostly hand-crafted wooden affairs and nothing like the typical "magician's wands" but some of them look pretty cool if you were using a "real wizard" style in your character. http://www.spiritofold.co.uk/wands/index.htm
David Callis
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of David Callis
I have been working with a "spring wand" for comedy effect and misdirection. It is black with white tips. If you aren't holding it right it droops and wobbles.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Shagbeard, its a good option to consider a different wand from the classical, one that suits your personality, especially as a wand is more linked with you and the persona you are presenting to the audience than with the tricks themselves (except of course where it forms part of the working of an effect). Mentally imagine yourself using different wands and try to discern which one of them makes you 'feel' good. I only used a wand for my kids shows, and my choice had been a fluorescent fibre optic stick whose ends had this attractive glow to them in the right light.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Try Olivander's on Diagon Alley. Remember, the wand chooses the wizard.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Or these guys... http://www.alivans.com/

I have a lignum vitae street wand from their conjuror's collection.. which they seem to have discontinued. It's served me well for over 5 years now. Heavy but lovely. It spins beautifully and I can now flipstick a truck... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wands (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL