The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mind wrecking trick! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

singh_rix
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of singh_rix
Hi, my first post. Not looking for the exact secret but really hope some one could point me to something similar. Saw this trick that I really liked and am hoping to add to my routine.
I saw someone do this trick and am wrecking my brain as to how it was done....am really hoping you could help me work it out or tell me if you have seen anything similar.

I'm not sure if the cards were set up in anyway- though I suspect they were cause he mixed the cards up after the trick. ( I know it wasn't the CHASE setup)

A friend asked me to cut a deck. He then told me to count the numbers in my pile, and then add the 2 figures. Example....if my pile had 23 then 2+3= 5. He then told me to remove the added sum from my pile. So then 23-5=18.

All this time he is looking the other way. When I have the 18 cards in hand he turn around takes the pile and just weighs it to guess the correct number. The other pile is left untouched.

Any thoughts?
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
I'm also new to this site, so not sure whether what I am about to post is a reasonable thing to disclose or not. Someone will doubtless pounce on me presently if I have gone too far...
If you take a piece of paper and work through all of the possibilities in a mathematical table, you will see how few there are, and therefore how easily this can be done. The weight or thickness of your pile will tell the magician which of his possible answers is the true one.
Am I allowed to have said that much? Looking forward to guidance from the wiser.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1854 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
In general, we don't share secrets on an open forum, but I think Jay has suggested a very reasonable way to approach this. I would not say he has given away too much, really. The issue is that when people come on and simply want to have a spoiler for how a trick is done, it cheapens the effort that many of us put into learning to perform the tricks.

General advice would be to get a book on card magic if you want to learn tricks. If you just want to have the puzzle explained, ask your friend for advice on what book you should get to learn.

Then, too, perhaps your friend really does have fingers that sensitive. I'm not really kidding. Michael Close has written about learning to cut to the correct number within a deck and says he can normally get within one or two cards of his target number. When you get to that point, estimating the cards you have in hand may be simple. The counting and stuff may just be a subterfuge to make you think there's something trickier going on than simply feeling how thick the packet is.

-Patrick
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Richard Turner can do that!
Search YouTube.

Ed
singh_rix
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of singh_rix
Thanks for the input everyone.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
931 Posts

Profile of Aus
Don't like the math element to the trick myself, its to much a breadcrumb trail to the method which Jays deductions only proves. I prefer my math tricks to be more covert then overt and for this reason would stick with Weight Guess the Tom Hubbards version.

Magically

Aus
MagicKingdom10
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of MagicKingdom10
I have never heard of this particular trick but it sounds like a simple one without requiring any stack. Building on what Jay said there are very limited possibilities for the magician to "guess". The OP's example shows us that there are only five possibilities in a 52-card deck namely multiples of nine: 9, 18, 27, 36, and 45

If you cut at 29 cards for example, you would have to take 11 (2 plus 9) cards away giving the result of 18. Just try any two digit number with the sum of its digits subtracted from it, you will inevitably get a difference of nine or its multiple. Magicians have been using this force for years in much more elaborate tricks.

If you have been practicing this trick, you could easily see how many cards are in a packet between 9, 18, 27, 36, and 45. Get used to being able to roughly determine the number of cards just by looking or feeling the size of the packet. Start by familiarizing yourself with how much exactly half of the deck looks (which is 26 cards). When you are completely familiar with half a deck, you can easily deduce how many cards you have just by looking at the packet. With nine cards, you have a very thin packet, 18 is a packet that is significantly less than half, 27 is a packet that is roughly half, 36 is a packet significantly bigger than half, and 45 is almost a full deck.

There is a more complex mathematical trick using a Si Stebbins stack, you can check this effect out by Scam School, you need to be able to do some mental math but the responses are awesome! I've tried it several times and the trick is to be good at acting and drama Smile I personally don't need to use CHASE suit order of the stack for this one.
I Love You God Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mind wrecking trick! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL