The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Art of the Con (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
For those of you interested in cons and scams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-L8vqMgFV4

P
Yiannis
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago USA
349 Posts

Profile of Yiannis
This looks really cool!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Nice to see you Yiannis... Hope you are well.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
profraj123
View Profile
New user
India
6 Posts

Profile of profraj123
Has anyone read The Art of the Con? Is this relevant to us as magicians?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, profraj123 wrote:
Has anyone read The Art of the Con? Is this relevant to us as magicians?

It isn't available until 04 November.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I got my cope a couple of days ago. Now I'm about one-third through. It's mostly about cons. A good read. There is definitely something you can get out of and apply to magic. But if applying those into magic is your sole goal, this might not for you.

Best,
Mike
Sam Disastroso
View Profile
New user
montreal
1 Post

Profile of Sam Disastroso
Is this gonna be available as a Kindle Book or should I just go ahead and buy the hardcover version?
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
I read this book in galley form as it was being written. I think anyone that frequents The Gambling Spot will enjoy it.

Paul's done an excellent job.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Half way through the book.

Really interesting and indepth look at this area.

Excellent job, Paul!

Joe Mckay
LoïcJ.
View Profile
New user
France
83 Posts

Profile of LoïcJ.
I can't write a long review because of my broken english. But this book is very good ! I have learned a lot of things here. Especially I like the way of thinking of Paul Wilson about the mark. The victim is not a sucker because of a lack of intelligence. He's a victim because the swindler knows what is the true deep desire of the victim at the right moment.

Just a word about the cover. Knowledgeable guys might be mislead by the photo of the three shells game. "well I already have thousand of books about con games and street games". Trust me on this one, it is not just about classic stuff.
Nevertheless I think the cover is great for laymen/general audience.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Just received the book and had a quick flick through (acknowledgements and such) and noticed there are a couple of rather interest pages on Rod the Hop. I was happy paying the price of the book reading those couple of pages to learn more about Rod.
I'm looking forward to having a good flick through the book. Looks wonderful.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Most comments here are brief first impressions based on a quick flip through, at the time the book first appeared.

Now that R. Paul Wilson's The Art of the Con has been out for over five years, and people have actually had a chance to read it, does anyone have any more thoughts to share about this book?

Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Have not read the book but I thought the pseudo center deal was nicely performed on the link above. Seems like this was a variation of the pseudo center deal that Darwin Ortiz does, both of which deal a second to fake the center deal.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Which, reminds me of the Masked Magician.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On May 30, 2020, Cagliostro wrote:
Have not read the book but I thought the pseudo center deal was nicely performed on the link above. Seems like this was a variation of the pseudo center deal that Darwin Ortiz does, both of which deal a second to fake the center deal.

Hey Cag, hope you are well. I havent read the book either but it seems this demo is even more devious. No seconds are used. Sounds like it's gonna be a fun read.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
@Bobby Forbes: I only watched it once casually since the center deal is largely a BS move best suited for demos.

So in retrospect it appears he is dealing bottoms. Other than that, he is going over my head and I guess he is really dealing centers and doing so better that Allan Kennedy ever could.

Or... is it really just a magic trick with no practical value other than as a demo? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The Art of the Con (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL