The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Table Vision by Eric Samuels (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
Bad name for an apparatus like this. (in my opinion)
Don't mention the word "table" in it.
I assume that it will cost a little bit more than 20$.
I assume that buyers will not be amused when everybody can find the apparatus with some guesses in a web searcher like Google.
Give it a name that not associates with the used props.

In my opinion, the name is fine. Having Skyped with Eric, I can confidently state that nobody is going to suspect the table.

Best,

Atlas
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
It actually doesn't really matter what moniker you use to identify a product, as anyone with sufficient motivation can spend time online and likely dig up something that satisfies their curiosity and suspicion, without the need for a specific product keyword. Further, if it comes down to this, the (re)searcher may very well come across one of several other potential 'explanations' that are technically incorrect but satisfy his need to know.

For instance, do a Google search on "magic electronic writing pad" and you will see entries for Mind Pad, Boogie Board, etc.
Google "electronic dice magic trick" and you will see several links/listings that lead to a few different products.

But the more important issue when using any 'special item' in performance is to provide sufficient contextual credibility so that it is perceived as nothing more than its intended utilitarian purpose.
This is the fundamental design principle behind TableVision.
In fact, I have been using, what is essentially, this exact table in all my stage shows for several years.
It's furniture. If it's perceived as something more or something suspicious, then I've failed as a performer to establish my credibility.

Needless to say, the same applies to the pens, pads, whiteboards, books, envelopes, etc. that we use.

Finally, there will inevitably be audience members who are insatiably driven to 'figure things out.'
in fact, some of us began that way!
The reality is that, despite our best intentions and effort, our secrets (in general) are available to anyone with sufficient motivation to find them.**
This is inevitable and doesn't alter the entertainment value that we bring to the rest (99.9%) of our audience.

**suffice it to say, we just don't want to make it easy to do, which is why my site www.mMntalismTools.com is password protected.

Now, having said all of this, I serve at the pleasure of my customers and if enough of my customers believe that the name of the product risks exposure, I would most certainly consider a name change, given that TableVision has not yet been officially released.

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Table Vision by Eric Samuels (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL