The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » McCombical by Billy McComb (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiVernon1234
View Profile
New user
I still think that the original triumph hasn't been topped even after
85 Posts

Profile of DaiVernon1234
I would like to know more information on what this book has to offer. Which include the material, theory, etc.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1329 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I bought this yesterday, without thinking twice about it. Billy McComb was a magical genius and I will buy close to anything with his name on it Smile
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2229 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is there a site that list the table of contents. I was fortunate to see him at the Magic Castle back in 91 and his show was amazing.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Magic Inc. is the publisher, and the owner is the author. This is tricks as other friends as they remember them with Billy McComb.

http://www.magicinc.net/mccombicalthewit......omb.aspx
scape_goat
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of scape_goat
Hey everyone, thought I might chime in here.

So I had the privilege of working on this book with Magic Inc. as a pseudo-editor in a way, helping to ensure that the tricks read correctly and made sense.

As a quick background of myself, I have been an active magician for about 10 years or so, but have been studying it my whole life. The thing is, before working on this book, I had no idea who Billy McComb was, which is an absolute shame.

What I love about this book is that, while going through it, you really get to find out who Billy was and hear his voice come clearly though the pages. Yes, you get to hear his thought process behind each trick and the "why's", but the real joy is hearing his humor and personality shine in each trick and on each page.

After giving the book my first once through, I instantly went online and found videos of him performing and was not disappointed. What Billy does transcends the trick and makes the performer glow and the trick be secondary. Don't get me wrong, the tricks are good and all (though obviously I will not be using each one) but he focuses his attention on the relationship between performer and audience member rather than, as I think Derren Brown puts it (and I am paraphrasing here,) the "look what I can do god complex" most magicians have now a days which often alienates the audience.

The book also contains some personal accounts from magicians and their experience with Billy over the years from Fielding West to The Amazing Johnathan, Lance Burton, Dave Cox, Simon Lovell, and many more. Each story gives you more of a glimpse into the true supportive man that Billy was. Reading each made me sad to know I will never have the chance to speak with him personally.

As for the tricks themselves, there are many and they run the gamut from card tricks to rope tricks, to mental acts and much more. I hate saying books have "something for everyone" but I think this one does. Personally I can't stand rope tricks, I hate them, but some of the ones in here got me thinking and I like the execution of them as well. Though I doubt I will ever perform them, as they really don’t fit my style, I can see why they fit Billy's and how other artists that do use the chord as part of their act can benefit from this section as well.

As the saying goes, "If you just find one trick from a book that you will use, it was worth it." To me I found many. Mainly they come from the card section, since I'm a card man, though now I am moving more into mentalism. The standards such as "The Cards Across" is nicely routined, and even if you have it in your act now, some subtle nuances can be gained from reading it that will only improve your handling now (I really like how the spectators yell out "three" as the amount of cards to be sent across the first time.) Same goes for the "Torn and Restored Card."

I also giggled at the "Magician Fooler" that is placed in the pages as well, which is a great side trick for any convention you might be attending.

Overall, I think the book allowed me to meet a magician I have never heard of before, and got me to hear his voice in the pages. Hearing others talk about Billy, and the pictures included (black and white and some really nice color ones in the middle), made me appreciate who Billy was and how much of an impact he has had in our art.

My idea in writing this is not to give a full on review of each trick or anything, but share what I gained as a magician and a person while gracing these pages before and after print.

Though I will not use everything in this book, to me it was not about that, it is really about Billy. I gained an insight into the mind of a great performer who touched many others lives and helped them along in their journey. I hope there will be more material to come out about him in the future (fingers crossed) to allow me to spend more time with Mr. McComb.

- Craig J Newman
magicwolverine
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of magicwolverine
Wasn't Dustn Stinnett ( a terrific writer) also working on a McComb book? What happened?
Pedro Nieves
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
52 Posts

Profile of Pedro Nieves
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, shomemagic wrote:
Is there a site that list the table of contents.

I just wanted to post the Chapter Index directly on here so the community can see it directly. On our site we also have links to a couple of excellent reviews we have received already: one from Steve Bryant and the other from Nick Lewin.

If you have any specific questions about the trick content within the chapters, please do not hesitate to ask.

http://www.magicinc.net/mccombicalthewit......omb.aspx

CONTENTS:

FOREWORD ix

Introduction xi

Chapter 1 Tricks with Cards- Page 1

Billy and Me: Milt Larsen- Page 8

Billy and Me: Fielding West- Page 19

Billy and Me: The Amazing Johnathan- Page 24

Chapter 2 Tricks with Hankies or Silks- Page 41

Billy and Me: Lance Burton- Page 58

Billy and Me: Johnny Thompson- Page 70

Chapter 3 Tricks with Ropes- Page 83

Billy and Me: John Wade- Page 87

Chapter 4 Mental Miracles- Page 96

Billy and Me: Teller- Page 98

Billy and Me: John Fisher- Page 102

Chapter 5 Effects for the Stage- Page 109

Billy and Me: Michael Chaut- Page 121

Billy and Me: Nick Lewin- Page 134

Billy and Me: Simon Lovell- Page 149

Chapter 6 Close-Up / Parlour Magic- Page 158

Billy and Me: Dave Cox- Page 171

Billy and Me: Annabel Gray- Page 180

Chapter 7 Billy's Cogitations- Page 184

BILLY’S LIST OF MEMORABLE QUOTES- Page 199

After Word- Page 201

Index of Billy McCOMB'S TRICKS AND WRITINGS- Page 203

Index- Page 205
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » McCombical by Billy McComb (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL