The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I would like to add a Fire Wallet to my set but how safe is it? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1169 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I'd like to add a fire wallet to my set but I have some questions;

- How can I store it (when not in use) so I am 100% sure that it will not catch fire? I have two small children and it will be out of their reach in my magic office, but I am afraid to set my home at risk. Maybe there are some kind of special container?
- How safe is it to carry it in my back pocket? Sounds crazy to carry around a thing dabbed in gasoline!
- Will my suit smell gasoline so I have to clean it afterwards?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
NO GASOLINE!!!!!!!! Wherever you heard that, IT IS WRONG!!!!

NEVER... NEVER... NEVER USE GASOLINE in any device used for magic.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you DO NOT use ANY FIRE EFFECTS in your show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is fire. Using the word safe is silly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1169 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Well, this has definetily not wet my appetite.. Other opinions?

Michael: Was I wrong in saying gasoline? Should I use something else?
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Lighter fluid
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1169 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Thanks Smullins. Safe?
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!

- How can I store it (when not in use) so I am 100% sure that it will not catch fire? I have two small children and it will be out of their reach in my magic office, but I am afraid to set my home at risk. Maybe there are some kind of special container?
- How safe is it to carry it in my back pocket? Sounds crazy to carry around a thing dabbed in gasoline!

Which fire Wallet do you have? Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
ScottieKrause
View Profile
New user
Houston
51 Posts

Profile of ScottieKrause
I had a theater magic one for awhile. I never used it in a show or set, because I always felt the risk was too high. Accidently setting something or someone on fire or burning them from dropping it.(I have accidently dropped it lit on s take before because someone knocked it out of my hand). I did use it as my everyday wallet though. Got quite a few laughs out of it when paying for things!

I always used lighter fluid. Give it a few min before you use it to let the fumes condense to a point it will combust easier.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, ScottieKrause wrote:
I had a theater magic one for awhile. I never used it in a show or set, because I always felt the risk was too high. Accidently setting something or someone on fire or burning them from dropping it.(I have accidently dropped it lit on s take before because someone knocked it out of my hand). I did use it as my everyday wallet though. Got quite a few laughs out of it when paying for things!

I always used lighter fluid. Give it a few min before you use it to let the fumes condense to a point it will combust easier.

I have been using my fire Wallet at gigs for a couple months. I usually use it as a an opener in my walk around sets.

Before I actually purchased the Wallet, I also had the same concerns as everyone else. I did some research at my local magic store and also on the Café. I meet some magicians that love and swear by their fire Wallet and some that didn't want anything to do with them.

I decided to jump in and purchase the fire Wallet from Theatre Magic and do my own field testing. For the people I showed it to, they seem to love it. So I feel if majority of my spectators love it, it has to go into my show because the whole entire reason I do magic is to make people happy.

I believe you have to be thoughtful with when, where and how you use your fire Wallet. I'm currently developing my own Routine where the Wallet isn't just a gag. Also with any other effect I do, I try to read my spectator, if they will enjoy this effect. If they look like a fun and open person I'm more likely to perform it for them then someone that seems uptight.

I might be incorrect in my logic to some but this logic seems to work with me..... So far. Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
patrick1515
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of patrick1515
Fire Wallet 2.0 by Theatre Magic (Gimmick and DVD)
For years I was adverse to using fire. Purchased this product to be used one time for a special event. The reactions I get using this fire wallet are well worth the small risk of using an open flame.

The leather wallet is decently made, not high end leather work, but perfectly fine for the use. The fire gimmick is very well made having many features built into the design which provide the user a product that lights easily, performs well and will self-extinguish if dropped. The design of the gimmick contains the flame spread and provides additional clearances should the user accidentally tilt their hands in an extreme mannor or direction.
Damage or injury from an open flame is always a risk, by utilizing common sense and applying "safe and sane" use of this product that risk should be greatly minimized.
As with any use of fire there will always be residual odors which may bother people that have a sensitivities.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Most serious restaurants will not let you use one (or any Flash products) due to Health &Safety / alarming diners.

If they do, make sure your PLI will cover you for any damage.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Holistic Magic
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Holistic Magic
There is an odor when you use it so you would may not want to do it in someone home without asking or warning first.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3183 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Many of us use it to great reactions and I've never had a problem. If you're not comfortable with the idea just do something else.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, Montana76 wrote:
Hi all!

To answer your question about how safe and how to keep everyone safe from your fire Wallet is to be thoughtful on how, when and where your going to use your wallet. Also....

I have a 6 year old son I don't want near anything flammable or dangerous. I usually store my wallet in a secure and out of reach area. I also try to dry out the wick before I store my wallet.

I carry my wallet usually in my back pocket. With the new theatre fire wallets it has an enclosure for the wick. It seems safe.

I have used the fire Wallet for all my gigs for the last couple months and there is a gas smell when you light it each time. It isn't to strong but you can still smell it. I haven't had any spectator complain about it but I know it's there. I usually don't leave it lit for to long.

How this answers your question. Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1346 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I would complain to the restaurant management if someone blasted me with a fire wallet.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, professorwhut wrote:
I would complain to the restaurant management if someone blasted me with a fire wallet.

What don't you like about the fire Wallet as a spectator?
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Rocky
[quote]On Oct 16, 2014, Jmolomagic wrote:
Quote:

I also complain when someone blasts me with an ACR.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
[quote]On Oct 16, 2014, Rocky wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, Jmolomagic wrote:
Quote:

I also complain when someone blasts me with an ACR.

But my ACR has a Fire Wallet Kicker! Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have stated my dislike on here about fire wallets for years. I used one briefly and saw it can be irresponsible. I had a group of kids really freak out at the unexpected sight of fire. (They had been the victims of a house fire a few months earlier.) A rare instance....but that's enough for me. I personally think that flash/fire items in close up, such as a restaurant is in very poor taste and potentially dangerous. Stand-up, stage or parlor where you have more distance between, you and your audience, maybe but certainly not table-hopping.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1346 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2014, Jmolomagic wrote:
Quote:

What don't you like about the fire Wallet as a spectator?

I do not mind the fire wallet as spectator. I just don't favor it in a restaurant setting.
Pepka pretty much summed it up.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I would like to add a Fire Wallet to my set but how safe is it? (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL