The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » CTW (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I know there's already a post which lists "preferred wallets" but, in this... I'm asking a different question.

First off, I don't own a wallet (I own a regular wallet, of course!) and I don't know the inner workings of any of them. I don't know what a "no palm" wallet is, or any of these other specifications. However... What I want is perhaps a normal size, to always carry with me. I don't particularly want one of those huge, bulky wallets that would look really weird in my back pocket, not to mention, easy to steal, or lose, I'd say.

I have a good card palm, I'm not worried so much about difficulty, but fairness. So, based off of this information, I'd appreciate a tip on where to start of when it comes to hunting for a wallet.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your back pocket.

If you have a good Palm use your own wallet.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
When I was searching for a Card to wallet, wallet I was looking for the same thing you were looking for. I definitely recommend the Real Mans Wallet. I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

Jonathan
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I can't imagine a regular wallet being all that fair of a presentation. Only thing I can think of is working it in to the bill section of my wallet which I imagine would be quite possible to sneak in there. Having it in a separate, closed pocket within the wallet I believe would make it a lot more "impossible." However, I have no knowledge of card to wallet routines, so maybe there's methods I'm just unaware of.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How exactly can something be "more impossible"? Impossible is impossible. ONLY magicians think in such crazy terms.

If it jumps to your wallet it is no more impossible to have it jump to a sealed envelope in a zipped compartment in your glove box with your car buried in a crater on the moon.

In the wallet is really strong. If you can't make that strong then it is your presentation skills you need to get working better not a new wallet.

It should be the magician making the trick. Not the trick that makes you a magician. You should be able to sell the trick. You are not a magician because you are doing the trick. The trick is magic because you are doing it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I use the real mans wallet, sitting in my right back pocket - I made a black plastic slide for it from the cover of a notebook. I used to use the mesika wallet but for longer gigs I like to keep my deck intact (as the mesika requires you to mercury fold the card.)

I think one of the reasons magicians like card in envelopes is that it adds an extra minute of suspense whilst the spectator opens up the envelope plus they can include their business card along with it, however I prefer to just reveal it in the wallet (either by building it up saying I made a prediction earlier, what are the chances it's the same value and suit, or use a line from simon lovell about keeping insurance if the trick goes wrong in my wallet) and I always hand my card out at the end of the set anyway.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
How exactly can something be "more impossible"? Impossible is impossible. ONLY magicians think in such crazy terms.

If it jumps to your wallet it is no more impossible to have it jump to a sealed envelope in a zipped compartment in your glove box with your car buried in a crater on the moon.

In the wallet is really strong. If you can't make that strong then it is your presentation skills you need to get working better not a new wallet.

It should be the magician making the trick. Not the trick that makes you a magician. You should be able to sell the trick. You are not a magician because you are doing the trick. The trick is magic because you are doing it.

I never said that it wasn't possible to "sell." However, I think you're wrong in your opening statement... I think it is a FAR stronger effect if you can have the card in some sort of sealed compartment. Spectators DO think about rather something is possible or not... How do you think magic gets any reaction in the first place? They imagine what they've seen to have been impossible. If you did something such as palm off a card and slip it in the money slot of the wallet, I imagine a spectator could figure it were slipped in from the outside. It's not likely, but possible. Having it in a sealed compartment, now THAT is impossible. Keep in mind, I'm talking about a signed card. I think it takes a good combination of presentation AND deceptiveness to make a world class magician. Any time where you have the option to add to your deception, you should.. period, I don't care how good your presentation skills are. I imagine there is some sort of instance where making it more deceptive could be harmful, but certainly not in this case. Just my opinion, thanks for your reply.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How can something be "more impossible"?

Sorry but if people believe it is a freely selected card and believe the handv is empty then putting it in an envelope adds nothing. If you can't manage those things then even envelopes and that stuff will not help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I agree Danny, I spoke about envelopes for card in wallet with a close friend when I was looking at plastic /paper envelopes in wallet.

We agreed the appearance of the card in a zipped compartment of the F1 wallet was enough. No more props were needed to improve on audience reactions.

Forva comparison of different wallets availablecsearch youtube for Alakazam Magic - they did a vlog in July 2014 looking at different sizes, palm/no palm / extra on a range of wallets. This convinced me that my F1 wallet was enough.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Hi guys,

for just a card to wallet I'd recommend to use your normal wallet. I do it to with predictions. I put them in the coin section of my billfold, which in my opinion is "impossible" enough for my spectators. Even if the prediction is in the open bill part there is no big difference for the audience. You can also totally freely show that this a normal wallet. But as a kicker you can put them in a staple guned envelope like in "Into the Abbys" by Oz Pearlman. So because there are possibilitys to use ungimmicked wallets I don't like the gimmicked ones, because they are needles (FOR ME).
That's just my thought to it.

Cheers

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Im with Danny Doyle. Sometimes we want
to make things extra complicated and at the
end of the day the impact remains the same.
I personally don't use a wallet but I believe the
"Cards in sealed envelope" that appears in
"The Card Magic of Paul Le Paul" is worth
checking out.
Best wishes,
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I don't intend on using an envelope. Just some sort of closed compartment in the wallet. I ended up ordering the Real Man's wallet today.

I don't know the sort of people that you guys perform for, but I pay attention to spectators who talk among themselves to figure a trick out. There are some people who think very logically.. "Say he did some how get the playing card in his hand without him know, how the hell did he get it in that zipped compartment?" Or even something along those lines sound a LOT better to me.

I understand what you guys are trying to say; just that I strongly disagree. I don't mean to cause any sort of debate or anything of the sort.
Just that in my mind, I think that putting it in the place where you'd store your money, or putting a prediction card just simply isn't strong enough for me. It seems too possible to me.

I think if they're under the impression that the card is sticking out of the deck and they push the card in, and in that INSTANT I take a wallet out of my back pocket, without the time to even open the darn thing and snap the flap closed (as in the real man's wallet), the fact that a SIGNED card is in a closed compartment is almost impossible to comprehend with the right timing and all. That is the goal I had when searching for a wallet. I made this thread with the goal of trying to achieve that. I'm sure that you guys have wonderful card to wallet routines though that you're more than satisfied with.

Just for the way that I think... I feel like you'd be contradicting yourself by wanting to do the "Cards in Sealed envelope." Why on earth would you even seal the envelope if it were so "impossible" to even get the card in to the envelope. Just try and see from my eyes, I'm not asking you to agree with me, just try to see eye to eye as best as you can. By going to extra mile to seal the envelope, or putting the card in a sealed compartment as apposed to a random slot or cash compartment.. I think that amplifies the effect, greatly. I hope you're able to see my point.. Again, I'm not asking you to agree with me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Good because you have no idea what we are actually saying. You are thinking like a magician.

Your presentation should take care of all those things you are asking us to see from your point of view.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Good because you have no idea what we are actually saying. You are thinking like a magician.

Your presentation should take care of all those things you are asking us to see from your point of view.

Presentation...Spot -on....
Zephury, just curious on your experince. It's only by performing for people over a long period of time that you will learn what works and what doesn't. How you structure your routine, presentation, is what will make the revealation a jaw dropper or not. It will also silence those that as you say are the people who come up with theories.

Honed skills (which can take years) and presentation should not open any doors as to how you accomplished your feat of magical treatise. If the people you are performing for are always trying to figure out how you are accomplishing your routines then imo you are doing something wrong. They should be entertained and amazed with no possible solution in their minds.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, davidpaul$ wrote:

Honed skills (which can take years) and presentation should not open any doors as to how you accomplished your feat of magical treatise. If the people you are performing for are always trying to figure out how you are accomplishing your routines then imo you are doing something wrong. They should be entertained and amazed with no possible solution in their minds.

I totally agree with this.

Regards

Prometheus
-

Prometheus
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Zephury:
Presentation, that's the key.
When I present the "Card in sealed Envelope" I have
something more inside the envelope...
A LETTER, something that really goes inside an envelope.
The spectator read the letter, the person who writes
The letter encourage the spectator to find something
more inside the envelope, and there is the signed card.
Usually letters came in sealed envelopes so...thats
My answer.
Any way Good luck on your search of wallets, a friend
of mine get some good reactions with a Mullica style.
Best,
-Hansel
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

Presentation...Spot -on....
Zephury, just curious on your experince. It's only by performing for people over a long period of time that you will learn what works and what doesn't. How you structure your routine, presentation, is what will make the revealation a jaw dropper or not. It will also silence those that as you say are the people who come up with theories.

You're correct in perhaps assuming that I don't have a lot of "in the field" experience. I do think in the mind of a magician too much, a lot of other magicians say-- I'm not lazy when it comes to my magic... I don't stop at "enough" In fact, I don't stop at all. I will keep messing with an effect to get the MAXIMUM results.. I'm never truly happy with it. I understand this is the sort of thing that can drive someone nuts.. But, I love magic and I'm totally fine with that. I understand where you guys are coming from... Trust me, I wont be forgetting about my presentation; but I do think that getting a gimmicked wallet as apposed to my own regular wallet is going to yield better results for me. Especially since I don't have a lot of experience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So when a trick is good enough you keep messing with it to make it less so.

Without much in the field experience why not listen?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I remember working on card to wallet back when I was working in the Oak Park Bishop's Magic Shop. Terry Veckey came in. He was performing at the New York Lounge back when it was a magic bar. I showed him what I was playing around with and he said I was working to hard. He said Glenn if you can palm a card and stick it under an ashtray, or beer can or put it on your forehead, why not just go for the wallet?

He had a point.

However, Had I not continued to play with card to wallet I would not have ever worked out my double cut palm. Which I now use for cards to wallet. And several other things as well.

I hope this helps.

Best ahead.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
How can something be "more impossible"?

Sorry but if people believe it is a freely selected card and believe the handv is empty then putting it in an envelope adds nothing. If you can't manage those things then even envelopes and that stuff will not help.

lol... of course something can be "more impossible".

A signed card to kennedy mystery box is a lot "more impossible" than a signed card to pocket.

Are you seriously going to try and tell us that having a signed card appear inside a block of ice in your pocket isn't "more impossible" than a simple signed card to pocket?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » CTW (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL