The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Steve Reynold's colunn.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ray Steele
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ray Steele
I LOVE Magic magazine, but not so sure about this column..... How many people here like/dislike it? The last one (October 2014) had a spectator choosing 3 cards and they were never dealt with again. That would never come off well. Am I missing something?? Also, he describes things in TOO much detail, when a magician needs to make a trick his/her own.

Just getting back into magic again for the last 6 months, so maybe I am missing something....?
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Ray,
Steve describes things in detail the way Marlo did and the way Racherbaumer did as well. It was how he learned. He makes sure he doesn't miss anything so that his readers understand what is being described. This may not be your style and that's ok, but it is how he teaches in print and in a lecture. I enjoy his writing style, it is clear and to the point, and I can follow along with ease.

Also, have you read any of his previous effects from his column the past few months? There is a lot of really good magic and very good lessons to learn from each. If not, then you are missing out.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes
SReynolds
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of SReynolds
Ray,

I'm biased, but I like this column.

In the October (2014) issue is described "Shadow-Zone Assembly" and I'm sorry you find that it's too detailed. When I write these tricks up I'm describing the choices I've made when constructing them. There are no arbitrary decisions made. Each component is thoughtfully considered and applied with this one goal in mind: a clear and direct effect. So, it's not enough to say, "Use your favorite method" or something to that effect. That's the point of this column, for good or ill. I'm attempting to instruct the reader in my approaches (stemming from the work of Bro. Hamman), that they may learn something from it. This requires a detailed style.

I advise you to make every trick your own, but I also advise you to first understand "why" the creator made certain decisions in developing the trick. Assume that they spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it. That's how I tackle ANY effect I'm learning. I always assume that the artist knows more about it than I do. We have to keep the old mind from becoming mushy.

As for the THREE CARDS. These are chosen by the spectator, not as selections, but as three random cards to be placed with the leader Ace of Spades--which they are. They are not to be used in any other way, except as "new" cards, chosen by the spectator. That is their OVERT function. Their COVERT function during their removal is as misdirection for the bold switch. If the audience asks you, "Well, what about those other three cards?", they haven't been paying attention to the ACTUAL effect. Put your cards away and talk about the weather.

I'm glad to see that you're back in the swing of things. Keep the questions coming and if you have any more about any of my work, I will help you find the answer as best I can. Maybe I'll learn something along the way as well.

Still a Student,

Steve
seek52@hotmail.com
504-258-5312
www.stevereynoldsmagic.com
Ray Steele
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Ray Steele
Thanks for the detailed answer, Steve! I did read over the column again, and what is done with the 3 spectator's cards is still very unclear to me, so I am glad you mentioned here that they are to be placed upon the leader card.

I still find there is too much detail in the working of the trick, which (to me) encumbers the learning of the effect. Just my opinion!

Thanks again for the detailed answer.

Best,
Ray
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
He doesn't actually say to place them with the leader, but he does suggest telling a spectator it can be done with any three cards and to take three. Took me a couple times through to figure it out. I like having to think that way. And I think that's a great assembly method. I like his column, I always look forward to it/
I j
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Steve Reynold's colunn.... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL