The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Happie Amp Portable Pro Buskers Table (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, gman wrote:
No offense to the folks at Happie amp but their table is almost the same as this one...http://www.magicianscave.co.uk/shop/article_114/Case-Table--Black-Case-Black-Stand.html?sessid=QDAcZXqYyNOlT8RUZZN5PYgtO4xhRTV3veAucSe6hfFmIWKakBP8jBrSpxQBbm6G&shop_param=cid%3D10%26aid%3D114%26

Which by the way is the same exact one that Chris Capehart gave plans for in his lecture notes sometime ago. The only difference I see between the Happie Amp one and the one that Chris gave plans for is that the flange is on a piece of metal instead of it being on a piece of wood that is glued with liquid nail and then bolts the flange and wood to the case. Oh and I think Chris Capehart uses the Eureka stand.

Looks like they will only ship to the UK

"Shipping rates

All orders are for the United Kingdom Only , "

Shipping to the US would probably be expensive anyway, put it close to the same price.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2014, 55Hudson wrote:
Barts185 - the top of the Moorehouse Cube is not suitable for performing on. Too small and too slanted. (Not level). That's why I made the table top I describe above.

Hudson

Thanks!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Actually, Hank Moorehouse did not design, or build this table. It was made available many years ago, by CHALET MAGIC CO. (Tennessee) I'm sorry that I cannot remember the owner's name. It MAY be Wilcox.

I PERFORM on the stage, platform or floor! (not on a table top!!!) Hee Hee (I threw that in to tease 55 Hudson!!!)

99 and 1/2% of my props WORK IN MY HANDS! When I have hundreds of kids seated on chairs, and I'm not on an elevated platform, the audience cannot see my table top!!! I only need a "working surface" to lay the mutilated parasol on for about one minute. I could use a borrowed chair.

Years ago, I found in a thrift shop, a "drive in restaurant" tray that hooked on to a car door. I paid a dollar for it, I think. It fits on the back of a chair. I havent found a chair yet that it wont fit on. I still use it occasionally. My prop case "sits" on top. I now use a waiter's tray stand. If you can find one, the table for a 35mm slide projector works great, too. (I installed industrial casters on it.)

Oh! In the '40s, Roger(?) MONTANDON sold a table top with a folding "brace". It resembled a drive in car hop's tray as mentioned above.

Karrell Fox had a "Eureka" STYLE tripod base, for his club act. Folded, it fit inside his club act prop case which was about 14" x 8" x 8". He bought it in an office supply store. It was the base for a Stenotype machine as used by court reporters. He had paid $75. for it about 1970. I "found" one (new, still in a plastic zipper case) in a California thrift store, a year later. I paid ONE DOLLAR for it. Karrell, who was very thrifty, almost cried when he saw it!

Jay Marshall used a 13" x 20" x 8" fibre prop case. He just set it on a chair, and worked out of it. It wss the maximjum size that he could fit under the seat in a plane. We both used hand held props. I bought a case the same as Jay's and have been using it for almost 40 years on the road.

I did "experiment" for about 2 seasons with a Merv Taylor type "suitcase table". It looked fine, but with the props it weighed TOO MUCH.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Bart,

I was using the link as an example of the type of table I was talking about. I don't have permission to post the plans so that was the first one I found on Google. You could actually make it yourself in under an hour once you have the materials. That only took me another hour, so total time was two hours to make my own.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2014, gman wrote:
Bart,

I was using the link as an example of the type of table I was talking about. I don't have permission to post the plans so that was the first one I found on Google. You could actually make it yourself in under an hour once you have the materials. That only took me another hour, so total time was two hours to make my own.

gman,

Thanks for the links and ideas. If I had any sort of workspace and tools, I would make one myself. However, at the current time, I don't have that available to me, so looking for a pre-made solution.

The main issue I see with any case I've seen is the ability to easily convert something in which I can securely carry things into a table top with attached legs while giving me access to all my props without having to open it again.

I don't know if this will make sense, I can picture it in my mind, but not sure I can explain it well.

What I would actually make if I had the capabilities is something like the Happie Amp briefcase. So starting with that picture (same basically as the one you mentioned) in mind.

1) The legs would be attached and fold up underneath so that it wouldn't be a separate thing which would have to be carried.

2) The top would open up by lifting it up and it would not be attached by hinges, but rather lift up while staying level. Accordion like attachments would expand the top would lock in place at a certain height. This would make the top a performing surface.

Something like the arm shown here:
http://media.restorationhardware.com/is/......11?-pd1$

but on the left and right inner side. Possibly bars of some sort at all 4 corners to make it that much more stable.

3) A flap would fall down into place from the inside of the top, covering the space that would now be open, just so that spectators couldn't see inside your case. This flap would just rest on top of the sponge cuboids when the top is closed. It could also have a message or your logo on it.

4) Have a servante at the back which would be detachable, but held in place strongly enough that it would hold whatever you needed either as a ditch bag or for loads.

5) Possibly the same way you have the servante at the back the front (and even sides it you wanted) could optionally hold a banner or logo or just cloth which would cover the legs. Again, detachable, but held in place.

I like the sponge cuboids and that they they can basically customize the inside to carry whatever props you want securely.

So you have this case, it's ready to go. When you get to where you want to perform, you pop down the legs, pop up and secure the top, put down the servante and front / sides and now you have a performing surface, you have all the contents of your case available to you without having to open the top every time you want to get something different. When you're ready to go, you close the top, roll up the servante and front / sides, close the legs and you're moving on in less than a minute would be my expectation.

I expect that I'm delusional, and again, not sure if this is coming across in print anywhere near as good as it looks in my mind, but that's what I would do if I actually had the tools, workspace and knowledge of how to do it.

The fact that as far as I know nothing like what I've described has ever been done is possibly a good indication that it's not feasible, or that no one thinks it would be profitable to make.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
In case I have to add this, the you wouldn't have to open the top of the case all the way to use it. If you wanted to just open it, get something out and close it and perform like that on top of it, that would work. The flaps are attached to the top so when you open the top they move up and down with it until you release them to fall / slide into place.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
I like the Pro Busker Table's look. It reminds me of an old style tripe and kiester.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
??? How do you know "rripe and kiester" ???

BTW In my November 1 post above, in referring to the maker of the "cube" table, I mentioned CHALET as the factory name. GEORGE KIMERY, is owner.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Are you asking me how I know what the term means? Or where I learned it? Or something else? Short answer is, I've been looking for a table for some time, and I loved the style of the old Pitchmans cases. Those cases were called Tripe and Kiesters. The Tripe was the tripod and the Kiester was the case on top of it. We got the phrase kiester, meaning ones butt, from these cases. Pitchman would often sit on the case like a chair when not in use. So people would say, "look, that guy is sitting on his kiester." That's how the word came into the common language. The link to follow is a drawing of the infamous Soapy Smith with his tripe and kiester.

http://www.soapysmith.net/sitebuildercon......_X_1.jpg
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I've been looking for a traveling salesman's case forever:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=6

Have been meaning to try making one...suitcase with folding accordion legs. Haven't gotten to it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Yeah that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. Hopefully the Pro Buskers case works out. I'll put a review up when I get it sometime in March.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

Are you asking me how I know what the term means? Or where I learned it? Or something else? Short answer is, I've been looking for a table for some time, and I loved the style of the old Pitchmans cases. Those cases were called Tripe and Kiesters. The Tripe was the tripod and the Kiester was the case on top of it. We got the phrase kiester, meaning ones butt, from these cases. Pitchman would often sit on the case like a chair when not in use. So people would say, "look, that guy is sitting on his kiester." That's how the word came into the common language. The link to follow is a drawing of the infamous Soapy Smith with his tripe and kiester.

http://www.soapysmith.net/sitebuildercon......_X_1.jpg

In 1946, I was 14. I visited Ringling Bros. for my first time. I walked through the "connection" into the big top. To my right was a section of "blues" that was roped off. The blues at the far end of the top were open, but almost filled with "towners". I didn't want to walk to the back end (about 300 feet) unless I had to. I asked an usher, "Are you going to open up that section of blues?" He looked surprised, and asked how I knew what to call them. I did a quick thimble bit, He smiled and said, "Oh! show biz! Stand right over there. We'll open them in a couple minutes." I did, and he did.

If you crack "with it" to an old carnie, he may ask you how you know "those words". (somewhat like a Mason when you use a term from the Masonic ritual) I checked your profile. It "says" you are a student. I assumed that meant college student. I've never met a young person of college age who used that expression (*tripe & kiester")before.

I just wondered how you even knew what a "t & k" was! You answered the question like you were "one of us". I'll assume you know: "shill". Do you know: "stick" or "lumber"? or "tossing the broad"? (Hee hee) How about "donicker"?

Excuse me, I gotta go pitch the "blow off"..............

See ya on the next lot!

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Well I don't claim to be "one of us," but I'm fairly "with it." I'm a college student, but I have respect for history and what came before. It is also an angle I build into my act. To answer your question, yes I'm familiar with the terms. I do a Monte in my stand up set, and fast and loose if I have a table. For demonstration purposes only... lol. I had a fairly eclectic childhood. Amongst other things I used to hang out with a gypsy palm and card reader. I learned a lot. -M. "Robin Marx" Voss Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! You're one of us! If you're with it and for it and not up against it! you're not a mark! (Welcome!)

"Those who don't study history, are condemned to repear it! (not my original line, but, I like it)

If you ever find a copy of Clayton Rawson's "The Headless Corpse" grab it. You'll enjoy.

Mine is a VERY eclectic act! lol So, if you jackpotted with a gypsy, you know "mitt camp". I haven't seen one for at least ten years.

About 20 years ago, while staying in the Charlie Miller Suite at Magic Inc. I went with Bob Brown to the annual meeting of the PACC (Professionals Against Confidence Crime) Attending were police officer who were assigned to "bunvo squads" from all over the USA.

Wr were asked to demonstate a few of the short con "methods" of parting a mark with his money. One of the guys demonstrated "bloodless surgery". I demonstrated the "Gypsy Switch".

When I was in the Navy ('51 - '55) there was an "epidemic" of the belt game (fast & loose) on busses coming from the Navy base (on payday). I was on the local TV station ( not to tip the gaff) but to expose the fact that it was a sucker game. On the train from Navy "boot" camp, one of the porters was "tossing the broad". Again, I didn't tip the gAff, but, I ahowed my buddies enough that the porter was sloughed.

"Robin Marx" --good! My pal John Osborne worked a lot of fairs, years ago with a "pitch" act. His monicker: Robin "Steele".

Hope I haven't bored you!

O
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, imgic wrote:

Have been meaning to try making one...suitcase with folding accordion legs. Haven't gotten to it.

In past years, I've found them in thrift shops, and yard sales. Haven't seen on in ages. I guess the salesmen carry lap top computers or the newer tablets, now,

In the really old days peddlers used "telescopes" (a fibre case somewhat like a large shirt box, or, the old "laundry case" that college kids mailed their laundry back to mother, in .They had leather straps to hold the "lid" on. I remember De Yip Loo used on for his school show. I haven't seen a telescope in years, either.

I've used a 'catalog case" to carry part of my school show. (found at a yard sale) In a luggage shop, it would have eeen %60. I got one almost new for $3.00. It trouped for several years, and is still in good shape. I haven't seen a catalog case for eons, either.

For club dates, you probably don't need an ANVIL case. The last time I bought "off the counter" a new fiber case, it came from Ikelheimer & Ernst luggage company in NYC (in the late '60s). It trouped for about 30 years, and is still in good shape.

So! Check out thrift shopa!
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Nice, certainly with it then. Good to meet you.

Yeah it was fun with the gypsies, every girl in the family was a reader and every guy in the family did set up and handled the errands. They had a good set going, she had me doing shill work and running errands when I was a kid, in return I got to hang around and learn when it got slow. My mother also managed rock bands when I was younger too, so I spent a lot of time in bars cause my mom didn't believe in baby sitters. So between the gypsies and the roadies, I got a good education.

Not boring at all, I love hearing those types of stories.

BTW, thank you for your service to the nation and happy Veterans Day.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2014, imgic wrote:

In past years, I've found them in thrift shops, and yard sales. Haven't seen on in ages. I guess the salesmen carry lap top computers or the newer tablets, now,

In the really old days peddlers used "telescopes" (a fibre case somewhat like a large shirt box, or, the old "laundry case" that college kids mailed their laundry back to mother, in .They had leather straps to hold the "lid" on. I remember De Yip Loo used on for his school show. I haven't seen a telescope in years, either.

I've used a 'catalog case" to carry part of my school show. (found at a yard sale) In a luggage shop, it would have eeen %60. I got one almost new for $3.00. It trouped for several years, and is still in good shape. I haven't seen a catalog case for eons, either.

For club dates, you probably don't need an ANVIL case. The last time I bought "off the counter" a new fiber case, it came from Ikelheimer & Ernst luggage company in NYC (in the late '60s). It trouped for about 30 years, and is still in good shape.

So! Check out thrift shopa!

My family loves going to thrift stores, goodwill, salvation army antique shops, etc. For past 4 years I've been on lookout but nothing yet. Some cool sample cases and suit cases, but nothing with legs. The hunt continues....
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Here's the Table you're all looking for.

http://youtu.be/cVij2hRM76o

I'm not sure, if it's from Happy Amp, or not,...
I'm pretty sure, though it IS Dick Oslund (!), in the advertising clip!
,... I recognized his socks(!),
....he's still wearing them.

smiles,.
givin' it easy,
gallagher
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Do you realize that the sock was invented in the 1233?
It was a financial failure.
Nobody bought s dovk.
Yhrn, in 1372, s very wise Norwegian invented the second sock!
Sails increases exponentially overnight.
It's all a matter of timing,
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Tsk Tsk~ Gremlins got in the type case and that came out "upgemixt"

Insert "yeat" after in the....

dovk should be sock!

Yhrn should be Then
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Happie Amp Portable Pro Buskers Table (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL