The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner show starters (deck) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slipperyfish10
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of slipperyfish10
Hi Café magicians. First timer here. I was wondering what trick you would use as a 'show starter', a trick to grab peoples attention. Preferably easy (beginner) and preferably no complicated sleight of hand (still getting used to sleight of hand). The one necessity is that there can be no set-up. The trick should be able to be done if somebody handed you a deck of cards you had never seen before.

I read a thread on tricks you don't need setups for but being a beginner I did not understand much of it.

Regards,
The fish
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
934 Posts

Profile of Aus
Probably what’s better than a list of tricks is better understanding of what makes a good opener. Anyone can tell you a list of tricks that could be good openers but sometimes a good opener has nothing to do with the trick as opposed to what you do during the trick. Check out my Routining (How-To Guide) which explains concepts of good openers, once you understand the concepts you will be able to pick your own.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

Magically

Aus
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I assume you are just thinking in terms of card tricks - though as a general rule I'd probably avoid having a card trick as an opener. What sources of tricks do you currently have? Obviously, you are limited to what you know or can read (or are prepared to buy).
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3181 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Choosing a "show starter" assumes that you have a show. What is it? Give us a list of the tricks you have mastered and we can then suggest which of them is best for a starter.
slipperyfish10
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Aus: Thanks I'll take a look at your link.

Terrible wizard: I currently really only know 2 tricks, both which take a long time for any 'magic' to appear and so I should think would be better suited as an end trick or in a one on one situation and yes I am limited in all of those things. I do not know any coin/other tricks.

Regards,
The fish
slipperyfish10
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Sorry jimgerish I replied before your comment came up and no I do not have a show but I would like to expand my repertoire from show start to show end. I was inquiring about simple tricks to grab an audience(for now friends).

Regards,
The fish
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
G'day AUS!!!

As they say in English class: YOUSE DONE GOOD!

I was "surfing" this AM and I always look to see who is "sitting" at the NEW TO MAGIC table. SLIPPERY GHOTI's question caught my eye. GHOTI -- good old Anglo-Saxon derivatives!!! "GH" in "enouGH", sounds like "F". "O" in "wOmen", sounds like "I". "TI" in "acTIon", sounds like "SH"!!!!! (That's for those who think I didn't learn "nothing" in school!)

As usual, you have penned a scholarly essay.

When I was a neophyte, all the books "said" that one's show should begin with fast, flashy tricks like GLOVES TO DOVE or similar "quick" visual tricks.

I was lucky to see Harry Blackstone Senior's "Show of 1001 Wonders" in 1945. (I was 13.) Harry opened with GLOVES TO DOVE! -- Then,he "filled" the stage (yes!!!) with flowers! (30+/- years later, I played the theater in Rockford Illinois, where Mr. B. had first done his "Enchanted Garden" ("silently to music" !!!) in the '30s!.)The late George Johnstone, as a young assistant to Mr. B., then, told me that. Oh! I never saw him do it, but, in the early 30s, he opened with the production of a baby goat from a big foulard.

Fast forward! About 50 years later, Harry Jr. opened with the VANISHING BIRD CAGE. Harry talked! (the "band" just "played him on", and then was "tacit"). He spoke just a few words, then, vanished the cage. He invited a committee of youngsters to join him on stage, and vanished it again, after they had placed their hands all about it. I never timed it, but it must have run at east 10 minutes

The "times" and "styles" had changed!

What played well in the "old days" has definitey changed. I, too, had changed from the "fast, flashy" to the "more relaxed" opening.

Many -- if not most -- of those who read these "pages" seem to be close up/parlor performers. Only a few appear to be full time professionals. -- And, even the full timers seem to do as much "walk around" gigs than platform, formal shows.

MY criteria vary somewhat from yours, but we both "have the same general ideas". We both seem to have the same "destination". I suspect that you, too, have read Fitzkee, Maskelynne & Devant,Tarbell, Nelms, and now, Ken Weber.

I'm retired after almost 50 years on the road. For the past 35, I've opened the school show with the "Color Changing Silk". I use a "soft" sucker explanation. It's fairly fast, flashy, and fun. --And, it introduces ME! It hss a "gentle" applause cue, "built in".

For casual, close-up, walk around jobs, I've used the ancient "Elusive Silk Vanish" that Hurling Bull (oops, Burling Hull!) first "originated" in the '30s (possibly the '20s). Like the color change silk, it's fast, flashy and fun!. Plus, it introduces ME.

I'm not a cardician, but, I notice that the card guys, generally, seem to like "THE CHICAGO OPENER" or an "ACROBATIC CARD ROUTINE". I like your themed approach for a short act.

For platform work, I've seen everything from a Russ Walsh Vanishing Cane (Jay Marshall, Karrell Fox) to a repeat production and vanish of an 18" silk from a Jap Box (Gene Eisenbarth). Ormond McGill opened with Miser's Dream. Billy McComb opened with "various" tricks. Ed Reno produced FOUR bowls of water (all body loads) from a "foulard", and Prince Notaes Majahara produced ice cream (the old bran vase).

There aint no "specific" trick! It's the performer's personality and presentation!

I better quit before the stage manager gets the hook!!!

Thanks again for your fine dissertation! I'm sure that it will really help!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner show starters (deck) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL