The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Close-Up Show Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I just wanted to get a general discussion started on what you guys think a good opener for a 25-35 minute close-up show could be. I'll start by sharing some of my thoughts and what I've been playing with. I've always believed that an opener should be quick and pack a wallop. I remember once seeing Lance Burton borrow a napkin from an audience member in his show and proceed to talk about an old effect in magic where a magician would borrow a napkin, tear it up, and put it back together. While saying this he would be tearing up the napkin, but then would smile and say "I never liked that trick" and produced a little bird from the torn pieces (Elvis I believe?). I loved the presentation, but am not a bird man so I applied it to David Stone's Bottle Production. After My intro I walk out, pull out a silver dollar, and explain how there's an old antiquated effect in magic where a magician places coin in a handkerchief and causes it to vanish and reappear a couple of times. While saying this I pull an 18" silk from my coat make the coin vanish and reappear in it using Stone's sequence from his DVD along with a few Roth subtleties. Then I smile and say, "You know, I never liked that trick." Then I produce the bottle from behind the silk, sit down and start my set. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think and like to do.

-Ben
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Where would your venue be?

how many are watching?

I use David Stone's bottle production with a balloon, but on stage not as close-up.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
House parties, Cruise ships, small dinner theaters, etc. I generally think of close-up as no more than 20 people, usually sitting in 2 rows (a row of regular chairs and row of bar stools). You have the ability to stand, but are generally sitting behind a table.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
If you open with cards, try producing the deck. I recommend John Carney's Chill Pack.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I'll check that out. Eric Anderson has a very nice deck production on his lecture DVD if you're in a flash paper friendly venue.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I typically use Bob Read bottle production...I have done this for mainly parlor style shows
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
TRY THIS: the silent treatment by jon allen. GOOD OPENER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INYAN6iDhUs
ORIGINAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
DIGITAL EDITION
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I actually use Silent treatment for my parlor and stage opener! I rewrote the cards on a much bigger paper pad though, similar to Zach Galafianakis' stand-up comedy closer he did on SNL sans the dress Smile

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/be5b3f3......formance
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
710 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Jon Allen's Grabbit Production is good. I like Michael Ammar's strategy, hand out the props you'll be using and then start with the magic. Oh, also really good is Jon allens's Forced Improv.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Close-Up Show Opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL